• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

Just a little vent....

Sold a book on EBay back in 2019 that I’ve wanted back ever since.  Last week the book pops up for sale. I’m stoked...until I see the BIN.  About 4x GPA

I figure just wishful thinking, and toss a couple offers above GPA at it.  Auto-declined.  I send a message to the seller basically asking what it will take to get the book back.  No response. 

I want to walk away, but want my book back more.  I really don’t want to have to double down on GPA 

Argh :mad:

On 11/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It did sound a bit odd! I still would assume it's through ebay somehow rather than singling you out at random, as that would be creepy. Even when I haven't specifically clicked to watch a book, if I've looked at it, ebay or their sellers will still be able to send offers.

Passed that idk

The seller is from the UK. And it’s the 2nd message I’ve gotten. My first reply last week was “not interested “ and I was solicited a different batch of books. I was just curious if others are getting messages from this guy and if anyone has done business. Till I hear otherwise, I think something is up and want to alert members here. 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just a little vent....

Sold a book on EBay back in 2019 that I’ve wanted back ever since.  Last week the book pops up for sale. I’m stoked...until I see the BIN.  About 4x GPA

I figure just wishful thinking, and toss a couple offers above GPA at it.  Auto-declined.  I send a message to the seller basically asking what it will take to get the book back.  No response. 

I want to walk away, but want my book back more.  I really don’t want to have to double down on GPA 

Many things have doubled since then. 

On 11/15/2022 at 5:34 PM, Junkdrawer said:

The seller is from the UK. And it’s the 2nd message I’ve gotten. My first reply last week was “not interested “ and I was solicited a different batch of books. I was just curious if others are getting messages from this guy and if anyone has done business. Till I hear otherwise, I think something is up and want to alert members here. 

I don't want to detour you, was just imo. Lol it does sound creepy

On 11/15/2022 at 5:36 PM, Junkdrawer said:

He’s sending messages through my for sale listings. 

Yes but why you? It's creepy, unless somehow he knows you from Adam.

It sounded to me like your saying you have stuff for sale, so he's sending you offers to buy his stuff? That doesn't compute, and sounds random for him to do so?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes but why you? It's creepy, unless somehow he knows you from Adam.

It sounded to me like your saying you have stuff for sale, so he's sending you offers to buy his stuff? That doesn't compute, and sounds random for him to do so?

That’s what’s going on. I have books for sale and he’s offering to sell me books through my listings. I told him I’m not interested last week and he’s back with more books today. Why me? Why go overseas? 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:36 PM, Junkdrawer said:
On 11/15/2022 at 6:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't want to detour you, was just imo. Lol it does sound creepy

He’s sending messages through my for sale listings. 

Does he like shoes or horses? Does he have fashion scents?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Does he like shoes or horses? Does he have fashion scents?

Lol I meant "not to deter" but detour got the point across

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just a little vent....

This right here is my only justification for my collecting and never selling lol. All jokes aside I hope it works out for you.

So I’ve had the misfortune of experiencing the eBay Sports Cards market, it’s just like the comic market but 10x on all the BS. 

I was dabbling a bit into some sports cards breaks out of shear boredom and I lit a few hundred dollars on fire before realizing how utterly ridiculous they were with respect to ROI and that what I was participating in was basically unregulated gambling. Not to get off topic, but I did pull a couple of cards worth in the neighborhood of $100-200 each. I had no interest in holding on to these cards so I listed them at auction. Most recently, I have literally listed one card three times only to get stiffed on payment each time (I have suspicions that the winning bidders are shill accounts for people who are selling the same card at BIN and looking to raise the market price but I can’t be sure).  

Previously I sold Mac Jones Card at auction several weeks ago. A few days after shipping out the card Jones gets injuried and I get a return request days later. It’s exhausting. 

I can’t wait to be rid of these cards and that entire community they suck

On 11/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, Hot Nickels said:

So I’ve had the misfortune of experiencing the eBay Sports Cards market, it’s just like the comic market but 10x on all the BS. 

I was dabbling a bit into some sports cards breaks out of shear boredom and I lit a few hundred dollars on fire before realizing how utterly ridiculous they were with respect to ROI and that what I was participating in was basically unregulated gambling. Not to get off topic, but I did pull a couple of cards worth in the neighborhood of $100-200 each. I had no interest in holding on to these cards so I listed them at auction. Most recently, I have literally listed one card three times only to get stiffed on payment each time (I have suspicions that the winning bidders are shill accounts for people who are selling the same card at BIN and looking to raise the market price but I can’t be sure).  

Previously I sold Mac Jones Card at auction several weeks ago. A few days after shipping out the card Jones gets injuried and I get a return request days later. It’s exhausting. 

I can’t wait to be rid of these cards and that entire community they suck

Yeah I fell into this as well but with Pokémon cards I’ve lit a few thousand though :makepoint:… but I was chasing stuff from my younger years that was tossed in the trash/lost or given away… so it wasn’t a total loss.. but yeah opening card packs became like gambling… 

I got a survey from E-Bay this week and I kept requesting some help like E-Bucks Offers or coupons to help stimulate some sales.  I guess we will have to wait for their bottom line to suffer before they give any freebees.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, 1Cool said:

I got a survey from E-Bay this week and I kept requesting some help like E-Bucks Offers or coupons to help stimulate some sales.  I guess we will have to wait for their bottom line to suffer before they give any freebees.

I’m curious if EBay gains enough profit from managed payments to far offset the loss of sales.   I used to sell things & then use the PayPal money to buy more.  With the money just going to my account...I end up buying nothing.  I’m a lot more frugal with money in my bank account, than I am with a PayPal balance that tends to burn a whole in my pocket.    

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious if EBay gains enough profit from managed payments to far offset the loss of sales.   I used to sell things & then use the PayPal money to buy more.  With the money just going to my account...I end up buying nothing.  I’m a lot more frugal with money in my bank account, than I am with a PayPal balance that tends to burn a whole in my pocket.    

I assume you haven't heard yet about the Spendable Funds program:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/spendable-funds?id=5305

I keep getting emails from ebay about using it.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:45 PM, Junkdrawer said:

That’s what’s going on. I have books for sale and he’s offering to sell me books through my listings. I told him I’m not interested last week and he’s back with more books today. Why me? Why go overseas? 

I’ve received messages from this guy. It’s a scam. If you indicate any interest, he wants payment through The Cash App.

Edited by LikeEmScanned

CF4F21A6-C020-4611-A0CC-DD340DE32799.thumb.jpeg.028eca96e5d67db6b46b4949f9f4008f.jpegAnyone else get this email recently? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don’t like the idea of having them come out to see me in person, invading my space and having some stranger all up in my business. The confrontational side of me however, wants to relish in embarrassing someone for the same reasons. I’m torn.

4B99A717-5C8E-4712-8C27-EA6558D9CA2D.gif

Edited by B2D327