• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 6:35 AM, Robert_L said:

I've had about a dozen items on there, priced about 10% lower than on Ebay, and sold zero items...The Ebay items sell first and then I remove them from Myslabs inventory. They can't say I am not trying...

I also posted on Myslabs. Even at 15% less than ebay, it doesn't sell. nor get offers. crickets. 

on the other hand, i at least get some activity/sales on ebay. You can't fault their reach and to me, their fees are justified. 

On 5/26/2022 at 5:08 AM, Kramerica said:

IMO Facebook is garbage and the equivalent of the Wild Wild West. Your odds of buying from someone who has been kicked off eBay for one reason or another are high. And on top of that everyone has an opinion. The Peanut Gallery and Media Mail Police are out in full force because they don't have anything better to do. The FB format and setting just isn't set up for selling and ultimately the number of eyeballs you get on FB is infestisimal compared to eBay.

Exactly. No accountability means its the wild west. a good price means nothing if the comic is wildly overgraded, which most are when you buy off FB and IG. 

On 6/7/2022 at 8:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the info.  I've got about 900 items up for sale right now and none have the promoted listing add on.  Maybe I'll pick a few of the higher priced books to promote and see if that helps sales at all.

I promote nearly everything I post and I have between 600-900 items at any one time. Again, you aren't charged unless they item sells and you can set the percentage fee they take. I make it quite low 1% but even with that, I noticed a majority of my items are sold through promoted listings. 

I believe promoted listings show up near the top of search results. I also know that if you're a Top Rated seller you get preferential status in the search results as well. When I got dropped from Top Rated status a while back, i noticed a significant drop in sales. And a little while when I got it back, the sales bumped back to normal. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, littledoom said:

Do you stick to the 4.1% ad rate or bump or lower it? What is a good rate? I'd essentially want to be at the top of search results lol

I leave mine at 1-2%. WHen I had a few slower items at their recommended amount of 4%, I didn't notice any bump in sales. I also go and send offers whenever possible to interested buyers and that helps get rid of slower stuff. 

I don't know if we still have a don't buy from eBay list, but if we did, I'd be adding this name. 

junkfooler

I won a lot of Tarzan paperbacks at the opening bid, he canceled it 10 minutes after the auction saying "out of stock or damaged". 

I'm not quite sure how you run an auction when you are out of stock. No contact from him, nor has he/she answered my inquiry. So...don't waste your time.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:56 PM, Lpgk said:

I also posted on Myslabs. Even at 15% less than ebay, it doesn't sell. nor get offers. crickets. 

on the other hand, i at least get some activity/sales on ebay. You can't fault their reach and to me, their fees are justified. 

I don't buy as much as I once did, but I still window shop the same places.

• ebay
  • comiclink (auctions and exchange)
  • mycomicshop
  • highgradecomics
  • wwcomics
  • these boards, especially for some specific sellers

Myslabs isn't on my radar. I think I bought from them once, but the website's layout and filters make it too clumsy and time-consuming. IG and Facebook, I don't do, in part because I intentionally limit my activity on those sites, but also because it's just not a great buying venue imho. I know some dealers and sellers do really well on IG, and I even follow a few, but when I look at posts and such on IG, the layout bugs me. I spent a little bit of time buying on FB 2-3 years ago, but it was just a ****show of god knows who selling god knows what. And I don't care about live auctions. They are usually tedious personalities dragging you through reams of bad books to get to a few nice books; surely, some are well done, but it's just not for me.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

Ha!

After all the nonsense of the stealth introduction of holding of payments until the carrier 'confirms' pick-up - ebay Australia have quietly scrapped it.

I assumed it was to stop bank fees associated with daily deposits - but I guess the barrage of CS calls outweighed that.

So they put store fees up by 33% instead.

My views have of course dropped, but sales are steady as before - but I do tend to have my cheap stuff in my store ($6.25 - $400) - the average is probably $20 - $30 a sale.

Just clocked over 14,000 sales!

Last 5 months order numbers - 107, 159,179,188 and 60 to date - of course 1 order can be 1 comic, or 40 comics.

Absolutely swamped with replies to my 'wanted to buy' ads - all modern / copper mid-grade non-key drek for the most part. The Star Wars bunch had some genuine key books - but the others I passed on had a highlight of 1st carnage in mid-grade condition.

It's those guys feeling the heat of the downturn - hopefully a shorter and shallower than hoped based on the stock market climb and the lower than expected Fed interest rate rise.

When I start getting inundated with big keys for sale - then it's panic time!**

** At which point I will lowball the mess out of them and buy as many as possible!

I am not currently selling comics on Ebay, but I'm selling my record collection - and have been experiencing 5-6 non-paying bidders per week, against 20 or so items. 25% cancelled and relisted auctions seems awfully high.

When I looked at my buyer requirements log (The log that shows you when bidders are restricted from placing bids based on your buying requirements, which I have set to restrict anyone with more than 2 cancellations), and from May 7 through today, I've had 78 restrictions of bidders who have been flagged for non-payment on other peoples' auctions - which also seems high.

Anyone selling comics experiencing these issues to this degree?

Havent posted in a while.

Are eBay comic book sales down the last 6 months or so?

I only sell on eBay, more out of convenience and time constraints.

I feel every search I do on terapeak these days there in much less sales history than during covid. Is anybody else feeling it? (not sure if this was covered in a previous post so apologize if it was)

Edited by cigars&comix

On 6/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, Beige said:

Ha!

After all the nonsense of the stealth introduction of holding of payments until the carrier 'confirms' pick-up - ebay Australia have quietly scrapped it.

I assumed it was to stop bank fees associated with daily deposits - but I guess the barrage of CS calls outweighed that.

So they put store fees up by 33% instead.

My views have of course dropped, but sales are steady as before - but I do tend to have my cheap stuff in my store ($6.25 - $400) - the average is probably $20 - $30 a sale.

Just clocked over 14,000 sales!

Last 5 months order numbers - 107, 159,179,188 and 60 to date - of course 1 order can be 1 comic, or 40 comics.

Absolutely swamped with replies to my 'wanted to buy' ads - all modern / copper mid-grade non-key drek for the most part. The Star Wars bunch had some genuine key books - but the others I passed on had a highlight of 1st carnage in mid-grade condition.

It's those guys feeling the heat of the downturn - hopefully a shorter and shallower than hoped based on the stock market climb and the lower than expected Fed interest rate rise.

When I start getting inundated with big keys for sale - then it's panic time!**

** At which point I will lowball the mess out of them and buy as many as possible!

Aaand I spoke too soon!

Made 3 sales in 2 days now!

On 6/18/2022 at 5:03 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I am not currently selling comics on Ebay, but I'm selling my record collection - and have been experiencing 5-6 non-paying bidders per week, against 20 or so items. 25% cancelled and relisted auctions seems awfully high.

When I looked at my buyer requirements log (The log that shows you when bidders are restricted from placing bids based on your buying requirements, which I have set to restrict anyone with more than 2 cancellations), and from May 7 through today, I've had 78 restrictions of bidders who have been flagged for non-payment on other peoples' auctions - which also seems high.

Anyone selling comics experiencing these issues to this degree?

I'm very quick to block people.

I set no 'minimum offer' on my bins (I do 100% bins) - anyone who offers $5 on a $50 book gets blocked - anyone who starts with 'any scratches on the case' - blocked. Can I pick up - blocked. Cash? - Blocked.

It's generally these lowballers / off-ebay buyers / fishing for refund people who also don't pay when they feel like (as ebay does nothing) - just use the block button more - eventually you get all their multiple accounts - and life is easier.

If someone reaches out and says - hey, sorry about the lowball, or I was blocked before for trying to buy off ebay - sorry about that - I give a second chance to. 

I also call peoples bluff - not happy? Send it back for full refund.

Rinse and repeat. They usually get huffy with no partial but generally keep the book!

Doesn't happen often that I get a genuine return - which I honour of course without hesitation.

I think if you set a zero tolerance for these guys, you catch them early.

FTR I have 4400 Pos and 1 neutral feedback @100%

Greetings Forum Members.

I need help determining if an eBay seller is genuine. I hope I am wrong and prepared to make amends via an apology to the individual who owns/runs the account. The seller is atticcomicz in the UK. They are currently selling some hot comics. Here are some things that are raising a red flag:

(1) All comics are rated VF+ of VF

(2) Repeated use of the terms "mark on rear", "no problems", "no real problems", and "main problem stress marks" under description details.

(3) Photos of the comics are a mixed bag of cover only, cropped so you cannot see all of the edges, or front and back cover for relatively modern comics.

(4) Out of over 100 sold transactions, they did not sell a single comic book for over $2.50, most sales were under $1.00. Current comics listed for sale range in price from $18 to $377.

(5) Some of the comics they have listed are screen grabs. Not going to point out which ones in case they are trying to scam. Any comic book fan will pick one of them out very quickly.

(6) "10 Day despatch time due to work committments"

On 6/19/2022 at 3:39 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Greetings Forum Members.

I need help determining if an eBay seller is genuine. I hope I am wrong and prepared to make amends via an apology to the individual who owns/runs the account. The seller is atticcomicz in the UK. They are currently selling some hot comics. Here are some things that are raising a red flag:

(2) Repeated use of the terms "mark on rear", "no problems", "no real problems", and "main problem stress marks" under description details.

(3) Photos of the comics are a mixed bag of cover only, cropped so you cannot see all of the edges, or front and back cover for relatively modern comics.

(4) Out of over 100 sold transactions, they did not sell a single comic book for over $2.50, most sales were under $1.00. Current comics listed for sale range in price from $18 to $377.

(5) Some of the comics they have listed are screen grabs. Not going to point out which ones in case they are trying to scam. Any comic book fan will pick one of them out very quickly.

Obviously the pictures are poor and the grading lazy/non-existent (one buyer referenced the grading being off). While they've been selling on Ebay for around 8 years and have positive feedback over that period, I completely agree that it's always odd when any seller suddenly goes from selling $1 books to listing nothing but keys. I suppose that they may very well just be unloading their collection at this point (for whatever reason) and continuing their pattern of being lazy on photos, but I would definitely insist on multiple scans/photos of an individual book from them before I even considered bidding. If it smells rotten, it often is. 

Edited by jaxcomics

On 6/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, jaxcomics said:

Obviously the pictures are poor and the grading lazy/non-existent (one buyer referenced the grading being off). While they've been selling on Ebay for around 8 years and have positive feedback over that period, I completely agree that it's always odd when any seller suddenly goes from selling $1 books to listing nothing but keys. I suppose that they may very well just be unloading their collection at this point (for whatever reason) and continuing their pattern of being lazy on photos, but I would definitely insist on multiple scans/photos of an individual book from them before I even considered bidding. If it smells rotten, it often is. 

Never received a response. Was not surprised. The search continues.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:39 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Greetings Forum Members.

I took a look and it definitely doesn't pass the smell test. That said, if you have the extra funds to tie up for a bit, you could take a gamble on a book - eBay's buyer protection is pretty rock-solid, so if you pay through them I don't think there'd be a ton of risk on your part aside from having the money tied up for a little bit while it got sorted out if it is a scam.

Edit to add - if you do try it out, be aware that it can take a long time to get books from the UK. I've gotten some great books recently from UK eBay sellers and UK retail stores, but in both cases it took weeks to get the books. Just don't wait too long that you're out of the protection period if you take a gamble. Luckily eBay and PayPal both provide pretty long return/refund windows now.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 6/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, ramrodcar said:

look at the other pics in the listing :cheers:

I believe that it is just a "psa" lol 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, ramrodcar said:
On 6/23/2022 at 11:15 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

look at the other pics in the listing :cheers:

I believe that it is just a "psa" lol 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, 850chris said:

Looks like they have other listings as well...:grin:

:whistle:

On 6/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I took a look and it definitely doesn't pass the smell test. That said, if you have the extra funds to tie up for a bit, you could take a gamble on a book - eBay's buyer protection is pretty rock-solid, so if you pay through them I don't think there'd be a ton of risk on your part aside from having the money tied up for a little bit while it got sorted out if it is a scam.

Edit to add - if you do try it out, be aware that it can take a long time to get books from the UK. I've gotten some great books recently from UK eBay sellers and UK retail stores, but in both cases it took weeks to get the books. Just don't wait too long that you're out of the protection period if you take a gamble. Luckily eBay and PayPal both provide pretty long return/refund windows now.

FYI - I continued tracking atticcomicz inventory to see what the remaining key issues would sell for. However, their entire inventory disappeared.