• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
27 27

9,528 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Oh yeah, I hear you. I LOVE Star Wars, but I do not collect Star Wars at all. Vintage, new, none of it. There's just too much, it would drive me insane. So I an strictly a window shopped on SW. Love it, but can't buy it.

With Marvel Legends I had finally scaled back to JUST X-Men, but I was in a situation where i was wanting to raise money to fund a long desired purchase, plus they took up a lot of space, AND they were selling really well compared to what I'd paid for them. SO, they had to go. Check back in a year or two, I will have probably gone back on my word and started buying them again, for I am a weak, weak man.

A little funny hearing vintage Star Wars is too much but 80s Joes are not.  The Joe line is a massive behemoth.  Maybe you're like me, collect a ton of it but not everything.  So many Joes that I'd never want in my collection.

Patrick

17 hours ago, Namtak said:

A sad day annother factory sealed toy just gave up:frown:the weight of the toy on thin cardboard ....

Time to open it and display it i guesshm

20210625_221253.jpg

20210625_221307.jpg

Too much heat?  That figure looks awesome for display anyway.

On 6/25/2021 at 2:49 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:
On 6/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, F For Fake said:

It really is a great figure. I posted some pics of mine several pages out, you might check them out if you're inclined. I'm still not going whole hog on this line, but I do have John Constantine and the new "steel box" (or whatever it's called) Wolverine on pre-order. Trying to not get sucked in too far on this line...

Terrific photos! Yeah, Dr Fate was also my first figure from the line, and I've now preordered Bishop and the Fantastic Four set. I'm also deciding if I want either of the versions of Cyclops (probably not, neither really speak to me). I'm lucky in that I haven't liked that many of their redesigns, but now it's a whole new ballgames having one in-hand, and knowing how good they can be. 

My main problem is I already collect too many lines and have 2 expensive lines I collect, one regularly and one fairly often now, Transformers Masterpiece line and Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat line, neither of which are cheap. So something will have to give. 

Mezco Magneto and the Black Bolt/Lockjaw 2-pack are also great.  I don't generally like Mezco's cloth goods, but when they mix it up with cloth and pleather like they did for Magneto and Black Bolt it looks and feels awesome because you don't see any of the thread that ends up looking like rope in the twelfth scale because they position the thread under the pleather.

I have Black Bolt and Lockjaw now pictured below (Lockjaw's eyes and signet on his forehead light up), and Magneto is sitting in my Big Bad Toy Store "pile of loot" waiting to be shipped, probably will get it within the next few weeks.

AM-JKLUqbBsvHZY-by_oZ3T0yk82nYVIcJMVW5I-

On 6/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, F For Fake said:

Oh yeah, I hear you. I LOVE Star Wars, but I do not collect Star Wars at all. Vintage, new, none of it. There's just too much, it would drive me insane. So I an strictly a window shopped on SW. Love it, but can't buy it.

One relatively easy way to limit yourself is just to buy your favorite Sith and Jedi.  Those look FAR better in displays anyway since lightsabers are easily posed in a Force user's hand, whereas the other two cool things from Star Wars--plasma blasts and vehicles which eat TONS of space--are either difficult or too space-consuming to display.

Ok, finally ready to share my big pickups, but first, a sad story. I picked up this beautiful mosc Secret Wars Daredevil yesterday, with a lovely clear bubble. Brought it inside, sat it on a counter in the kitchen so I could talk to the wife for about five minutes. Suddenly, heard a rustling, which I instantly recognized as the sound of our cat demanding his lunch (his usual method of getting our attention is throwing stuff in the floor, because he’s a maladjusted maniac.) By the time I got on my feet, I heard a bag hitting the floor, and immediately knew what he’d tossed. So now my mosc DD is a mint WITH card DD. The bubble is still hanging on for dear life at one corner. I could have screamed. Anyway, who wants a cat. Free to good home, or bad, I don’t care.

(j/k would never give this jerk up, but lord I coulda punted his little butt out the door in that moment)

5C10611C-6260-4160-90D9-A9724C53BDC2.jpeg

8903CBA8-6F7E-4889-8646-6DEF744CB163.jpeg

13 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One relatively easy way to limit yourself is just to buy your favorite Sith and Jedi.  Those look FAR better in displays anyway since lightsabers are easily posed in a Force user's hand, whereas the other two cool things from Star Wars--plasma blasts and vehicles which eat TONS of space--are either difficult or too space-consuming to display.

Yeah, even that is too much. Between vintage Joes and TF, new TF, and my other hobbies like comics, music and movies, there’s only so much money and space. So. I’ll just have to enjoy the SW stuff you all post and stay away!

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And now, my big prizes! These have been grails for a long time for me. Although I don’t currently have them, I have owned most of the big Joe pieces in the past. The Flagg, the Defiant, etc.

But I’ve never had these, and I always swore that if I found them in person, complete with box at a reasonable price, I’d grab them.

So now, at long last, my Dreadnok collection is complete, and my Sears exclusives are 3/4 done as well. They have an SMS compete with box I may grab at some point, but these were my goal.

if anyone needs black market organs at a fair price, I could probably be talked into it right now. The bank account weeps…but, worth it!

If you’re ever in Louisville, check out Ville-Ans Toys. They’re on FB as well, though I don’t think they’re doing online sales at this point. They prefer to keep it local. They’ve had some eye-popping stuff in that shop. They sold their Eternia set (complete with box) and Flagg (ditto) but they still have a complete Defiant with box for a cool $4k if you’re interested! 

CFAF8D15-5611-4AC0-87F9-4C4B7430B8EB.jpeg

EE648BC2-8031-45D8-984F-E317E332A1CB.jpeg

9F7359F3-E3C2-4BA1-88A3-1664E674C3EF.jpeg

3FF408A0-3005-4142-98B3-F2C31EEBFF68.jpeg

6114E9DE-37B0-4867-89A2-9EB27AFE75C3.jpeg

551D5A1D-5B43-4484-B2FC-CBFBE7535E5F.jpeg

3B882C58-EAF0-4CF4-9375-7F5E430CADC6.jpeg

AA0BF8D2-2D07-4D0D-A745-9B42721AEEBA.jpeg

5001F531-C8AB-4107-AEF5-9EA6088422C7.jpeg

They see you rolling lol

Man that's awesome, as I'm sure you had looked a while (thumbsu

Glad you're complete!

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They see you rolling lol

Man that's awesome, as I'm sure you had looked a while (thumbsu

Glad you're complete!

Thanks bud! Yeah, it’s been a long time coming in these. Never expected to find them both at the same time in such nice shape. 

Just now, F For Fake said:

Thanks bud! Yeah, it’s been a long time coming in these. Never expected to find them both at the same time in such nice shape. 

I feel you! I had a couple of good finds this year that Im happy with too 💖

Still been a dry spell since then, so hopefully when it rains it pours and if it rings true for you too and gave some fulfilment ^^

Slow and steady, persistence and a bit of favor!

On 6/27/2021 at 9:54 PM, fantastic_four said:

Mezco Magneto and the Black Bolt/Lockjaw 2-pack are also great.  I don't generally like Mezco's cloth goods, but when they mix it up with cloth and pleather like they did for Magneto and Black Bolt it looks and feels awesome because you don't see any of the thread that ends up looking like rope in the twelfth scale because they position the thread under the pleather.

I have Black Bolt and Lockjaw now pictured below (Lockjaw's eyes and signet on his forehead light up), and Magneto is sitting in my Big Bad Toy Store "pile of loot" waiting to be shipped, probably will get it within the next few weeks.

AM-JKLUqbBsvHZY-by_oZ3T0yk82nYVIcJMVW5I-

That's an amazing Lockjaw sculpt. 

The other advantage of the Mezco cloth/pleather mix is besides hiding stitching that is ALWAYS out of scale, it also serves to tighten up the cloth goods.  The one major flaw of all Mezco figures--particularly the Fantastic Four prototypes shown--is that the cloth goods are always slightly loose to allow the articulated joints to move beneath the cloth, and as a result they always look a bit like a loose sweater.  Mego figures INFAMOUSLY have too-loose clothes like this, and many Mezco figures look similar to Mego, although Mezco does optimize them to be as tight as possible more than Mego ever did, yet they're still too loose.  When they have cloth fragments attached to pleather then the pleather serves to pull the cloth tight so that it looks fitted as opposed to a size or two too big for the figure's body.

Edited by fantastic_four

I hadn't thought about that, but you're absolutely right. Dr Fate looks amazing, and indeed he does have much heavier cloth overlays covering the bodysuit acting as gloves and boots, so everything is hidden and looks extremely clean. 

The one thing I noticed on early Mezco's was the saggy crotch, but thankfully they've got that under control now, to the point where it's reasonable for the scale and not immediately distracting to the eye. 

11 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The one thing I noticed on early Mezco's was the saggy crotch, but thankfully they've got that under control now, to the point where it's reasonable for the scale and not immediately distracting to the eye. 

I can't tell that they have it under control, and I assume my FF figures will have serious moose-knuckle and camel-toe.  The recently-released Iron Fist has a really bad case of moose knuckle.  :eek:

And one thing I REALLY hate about Mezco is how they digitally edit their promo shots.  You couldn't see Iron Fist's weird bulge in any of the promo shots because they either edited or posed it out, but once he was release you can see it in almost every Youtube review.  :mad:

IMG_5346.JPG.d9d93f7eab0c5dd3ae9fd91acef

Edited by fantastic_four

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I can't tell that they have it under control, and I assume my FF figures will have serious moose-knuckle and camel-toe.  The recently-released Iron Fist has a really bad case of moose knuckle.  :eek:

And one thing I REALLY hate about Mezco is how they digitally edit their promo shots.  You couldn't see Iron Fist's weird bulge in any of the promo shots because they either edited or posed it out, but once he was release you can see it in almost every Youtube review.  :mad:

IMG_5346.JPG.d9d93f7eab0c5dd3ae9fd91acef

Well, the saggy crotch has generally improved, at least from what I've seen. But I'll defer to your experiences. 

And yes, sorry to say, but every shot I've seen of Iron Fist looks horrific because of that odd mooseknuckle crotch. I don't know how they let that go into production. Definitely a time where they should have gone for aesthetics over articulation. 

This list is going around as per what Hasbro is doing with Transformers for the next year and a half.  

This could be accurate or it could be for entertainment purposes but ... it does make sense given the continuation of certain figures and the movie announcement. 

208619752_4788204544528189_9219831466088628538_n.jpg

208595266_4788204661194844_1905064378700571546_n.jpg

208325473_4788204641194846_8219465145675057780_n.jpg

209158257_4788204551194855_3905219638116898170_n.jpg

Hasbro's planning on doing a Fantastic Four wave apparently, this time in the blue and white uniforms. It's not clear whether it's a wave or a Retro Collection to go with Doom. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

This list is going around as per what Hasbro is doing with Transformers for the next year and a half.  

This could be accurate or it could be for entertainment purposes but ... it does make sense given the continuation of certain figures and the movie announcement. 

208619752_4788204544528189_9219831466088628538_n.jpg

208595266_4788204661194844_1905064378700571546_n.jpg

208325473_4788204641194846_8219465145675057780_n.jpg

209158257_4788204551194855_3905219638116898170_n.jpg

Annother great list!

6cce087277e711a143d134c24fe14364.jpg