• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,347 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 9:24 AM, B2D327 said:

Question for my fellow plastic crackheads (see what I did there :roflmao:)

I really dig the 7” format of the McFarlane action figures and wanted to know if there’s a Marvel characters equivalent in height. I’ve had 6” and 10” figures but I want to keep any other additions in a uniform size (because I have ocd and any difference in height is not gonna let me have a level playing field)

Any Suggestions?

Diamond Marvel Select figures are also in a 7" scale.  Hasbro has the master Marvel action figure license but primarily makes figures in a 6" (1:12) scale, so Diamond sub-leases their licensing through Hasbro for figures in the 7" (1:10) scale.  The problem is that Select figures come out at about a tenth the rate of Hasbro's Marvel Legends so the character selection is comparatively shallow.

My primary collecting is in the 6" scale for Marvel, although I do buy a few Select figures when it's a character that's typically large anyway so having them be a little bit larger isn't an issue.  The Select figures I mix in with Legends include Destroyer, Titanium Man, the Brood, and Juggernaut.

I buy a few major DC figures in the 6" scale from Medicom Mafex, but they're more expensive imports from Japan at about $80 to $100 per figure.  But the Mafex quality, detail, and articulation is unparalleled for the scale.

I'm impressed by the value McFarlane can pack in at a $20 price point.  Their overall quality lags a bit behind Marvel Legends though.  Articulation is worse, and they don't have face printing tech at all so when they make movie figures they never look much like the actors.  The sculpt and paint on McFarlane figures is often fantastic, but inconsistently so with plenty of oddly-proportioned sculpts out there.  There are many dozens of examples of McFarlane DC figures where they knocked it out of the park though.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/14/2021 at 10:25 PM, followtheleader said:

Thank you for asking.  

It's a pre-cursor to the G1 Transformers line. 

Made by Takara in 1981.  

It's an early combiner called Warudaros.

Basically 3 insects that combine into a large robot.  

This site illustrates it better as I am missing portions:

http://www.robot-japan.com/gallery/item/warudaros-3.html

They actually modernized it recently: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2021/10/26/meet-warudaros-and-its-waruder-heritage-that-birthed-the-decepticons-in-transformers/?sh=5918cc891091

It is not a very common toy to find in the wild. 

Patrick

Wow, those look so cool. Love the colors. I've definitely never seen one, at least not that I'm aware of. Terrific pickup!

On 12/16/2021 at 12:24 AM, B2D327 said:

Question for my fellow plastic crackheads (see what I did there :roflmao:)

I really dig the 7” format of the McFarlane action figures and wanted to know if there’s a Marvel characters equivalent in height. I’ve had 6” and 10” figures but I want to keep any other additions in a uniform size (because I have ocd and any difference in height is not gonna let me have a level playing field)

Any Suggestions?

You want the DST line of Marvel Select figures. Give them a quick once over in store yourself if you can to confirm they're in that scale, otherwise pass on them, hope they roll around again. 

Oh, and for you guys who are vaguely interested in Marvel Legends but haven't seen many or most of the figures I referred to in my best of 2021 lists--there's a great site named FigureList that serves as a fantastic visual reference for every Marvel Legends figure ever made.  Here's a link to their list of figures from 2021:

https://figurelist.co/marvel-legends-checklist/2021-waves/

On 12/16/2021 at 9:51 AM, F For Fake said:

I thought you guys might find these amusing. I am going through a big folder of old Christmas party pics that I'd scanned, putting together a slideshow thing for our xmas party this weekend. At any rate, I ran across these pics that are nearly 25 years old now, of my friends playing with my old USS Flagg. This is the same USS Flagg that I bought for about $20 at the comic shop I was working at in '96, back when you could get this stuff for pennies on the dollar. No one cared back then. When I moved out, I ended up selling the Flagg to the guy in the flannel who is holding the microphone, for $50. He cleaned it up and completed it, and still has it today. This is the friend with the huge GI Joe "museum" in his house.

Anyway, I just thought it was amusing because this was back when this stuff was cool, but was at an absolute low point from a collector's point of view. So it was just fun to play with! Look, there's Storm Shadow walking along the crane! It was fun then, but now it gives me anxiety, all I can think about is hundreds of dollars worth of broken crotches and thumbs! oh well.

If you zoom in, you can barely make out the Transformers stuff, pretty sure I had a complete set of the Gestalts back then. More stuff I got for almost nothing. It was a great time to buy. Wish I still had even half of it!

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG

Fun! The antenna on the Flagg makes the one guy look like the man in the iron mask, good times!

Glad the Flagg went to a friend! ^^

I have been watching amazon for the V1 Classified Storm Shadow.  I missed out a couple times on preorders.

I also found this listing on Canada under the name Hasbro Gij Cs Figure Jupiter. 

Today got lucky and snagged one and then it was sold out.  

Of the classified series pretty much only one that I wanted and hoping for a v2 Storm Shadow.

stormypreprder.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 8:51 AM, F For Fake said:

I thought you guys might find these amusing. I am going through a big folder of old Christmas party pics that I'd scanned, putting together a slideshow thing for our xmas party this weekend. At any rate, I ran across these pics that are nearly 25 years old now, of my friends playing with my old USS Flagg. This is the same USS Flagg that I bought for about $20 at the comic shop I was working at in '96, back when you could get this stuff for pennies on the dollar. No one cared back then. When I moved out, I ended up selling the Flagg to the guy in the flannel who is holding the microphone, for $50. He cleaned it up and completed it, and still has it today. This is the friend with the huge GI Joe "museum" in his house.

Anyway, I just thought it was amusing because this was back when this stuff was cool, but was at an absolute low point from a collector's point of view. So it was just fun to play with! Look, there's Storm Shadow walking along the crane! It was fun then, but now it gives me anxiety, all I can think about is hundreds of dollars worth of broken crotches and thumbs! oh well.

If you zoom in, you can barely make out the Transformers stuff, pretty sure I had a complete set of the Gestalts back then. More stuff I got for almost nothing. It was a great time to buy. Wish I still had even half of it!

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG

$20-50, that's friggin crazy!

You're right, things were so cheap in the late 90s.   

I was able to buy Joes and He-man for nothing.  Especially Joes around here.  

G1 Transformers, at least locally, were "expensive".   So I postponed a bit longer than I should have.

Very cool pics.  

Patrick

Today I bought the final 3 Gundam Infinity figures needed to complete the set and build the BAF Zaku. Those figures are the RX78-2, the Wing Gundam, and the awesome looking Gundam Barbatos. Enjoy this pic of the Barbatos, the Astray Red Frame, and the Zaku in the front, desperately scrambling for its gun. Things aren't looking good. 

1j6mIyi.jpeg

On 12/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, followtheleader said:

$20-50, that's friggin crazy!

You're right, things were so cheap in the late 90s.   

I was able to buy Joes and He-man for nothing.  Especially Joes around here.  

G1 Transformers, at least locally, were "expensive".   So I postponed a bit longer than I should have.

Very cool pics.  

Patrick

I know, it was a very different time! Yes, I paid about $20-$30 (can't recall which) for the Flagg at the local comic shop I worked at back then. (So that means they must have only paid $10-$15 bucks for it!) It was missing some of the small pieces, but it DID have Admiral Keel Haul, and the microphone and most of the deck clips. So even then it was a steal. It also came with the box, which was a real shambles, but the front panel image was in nice shape. My friend still has it too, and is thinking about cutting the box away and just leaving the front panel, so he can display it, as the rest of the box is a real mess, with duct tape residue, etc. Still, any box at all is something.

I worked at the comic shop from around 95 to 97, something like that, and while we sold toys, most of the business was in new, hot stuff, like McFarlane. Spawn toys flew off the shelves. Same with the Start Wars POTF2 line when it hit. We did some business in "vintage toys", but it was mostly limited to Megos, KISS dolls, and stuff like that. But during my brief tenure, we started to branch out into Transformers and GI Joe. Like your area, Transformers lead the way in price, but even at that they were still an absolute bargain compared to these days. And Joes, man, I really wish I'd had the money to invest in them back then. Everything was dirt cheap. Makes me wonder what is dirt cheap NOW that is worth picking up. Not much that I'd be personally interested in, unfortunately. 

Hello all!

The Deep & Homelander (Floating) Funko Pop's arrive today! Waiting on the red-eye Homelander & Hughie to complete the set...plus whatever comes out with Season 3! I'm guessing Soldier Boy, Crimson Countess, and maybe Stormfront.

Also got the Target Exclusive Madam Web; which is very neat; wasn't expecting this one, and its very accurate to the animated series. Not so excited for the other animated Spider-Man first series; Spider-Man looks ok, but Black Cat, Doctor Octopus, and Hobgoblin are all less than impressive.

*Update*

Ok! Shipping error in my favor. Madam Web's street day is 12/20/21; so it looks like the first wave of pre-orders are getting their deliveries a couple of days early! Spider-Man, Black Cat, Doctor Octopus, and Hobgoblin pre-orders are sold out (instantly), so it looks like they've gone from Target Exclusive to eBay Exclusive...just like every other Target exclusive release. :facepalm:

Edited by BabaLament

On 12/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, F For Fake said:

I know, it was a very different time! Yes, I paid about $20-$30 (can't recall which) for the Flagg at the local comic shop I worked at back then. (So that means they must have only paid $10-$15 bucks for it!) It was missing some of the small pieces, but it DID have Admiral Keel Haul, and the microphone and most of the deck clips. So even then it was a steal. It also came with the box, which was a real shambles, but the front panel image was in nice shape. My friend still has it too, and is thinking about cutting the box away and just leaving the front panel, so he can display it, as the rest of the box is a real mess, with duct tape residue, etc. Still, any box at all is something.

I worked at the comic shop from around 95 to 97, something like that, and while we sold toys, most of the business was in new, hot stuff, like McFarlane. Spawn toys flew off the shelves. Same with the Start Wars POTF2 line when it hit. We did some business in "vintage toys", but it was mostly limited to Megos, KISS dolls, and stuff like that. But during my brief tenure, we started to branch out into Transformers and GI Joe. Like your area, Transformers lead the way in price, but even at that they were still an absolute bargain compared to these days. And Joes, man, I really wish I'd had the money to invest in them back then. Everything was dirt cheap. Makes me wonder what is dirt cheap NOW that is worth picking up. Not much that I'd be personally interested in, unfortunately. 

And look at the piece prices today.  Microphones, even not working, are $125-150.  A crane cover sold for $75 the other day.  

Personally, I always thought the deck clips were undervalued.  Often made me wonder if most on the net were repros. 

A box with tape/glue is still very desirable.  Not many boxes kicking around and few come to market for a decent price.

I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd one about 4-5 years ago.  In a very nice box, complete, and with the inserts.  Was $1200.   Should have picked it up, stup.  If the box is tough to locate, the inserts are about 100x harder.

Do you have pics of your buddies Joe collection that he'd be okay with posting?  I can't get enough of people's collections. 

Thought of you with the tornado, hope everything is good.  Pretty sure you're north of where it hit, but not 100%.   I'm wishing the best for those affected, terrible it happened and even worse at this time of year.  

Patrick

Here's a first look at next year's Marvel Legends X-Men wave. Gotta say, it's an awful BAF choice, but it's a nice sculpt, just a terrible character choice that I don't think will entice anybody. http://marveltoynews.com/marvel-legends-20th-anniversary-hulk-figure-x-men-legends-2022-series-revealed/

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

1. Mezco 1:12 Collective Dr Fate. Such a beautiful figure, and so well-accessorised. This is a must-own for fans of the character, and fans of good product. 

2. This spot is tentatively going to a figure that I'm still waiting on: Masterpiece Thundercracker (new version). Finally a cartoon-accurate Seeker sculpt, and damn it looks good. It'll be a while before mine arrives, due to my shipping snafu with BBTS, so I'm living vicariously through others', but it looks SO nice. 

3. Transformers Studio '86 Hot Rod. This figure has it all. Excellent articulation, beautiful sculpt, nice accessories. It's a VERY sweet figure, and a great example of just how good modern Transformers can be. 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

3 - GI Joe Classified - Snake Eyes and Timber - I blame all of you for this.  This is the ONLY six inch figure I own.  So if you are going to get ONE then get the best one.  Snake Eyes and Timber were my favorites as a kid.  The only thing I wish it had was an alternate head sculpt so I could have a "knight visor" version.  This is still quite the detailed piece. 

I've got two of this set so I can have two dogs with both heads.  SUCH a great set, definitely my favorite from the Classified Series aside from the original deluxe Snake Eyes set that comes with the weapon rack.