• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think the problem you ran into was the placeholder pages.

If you wanted to start a sales thread with a list of books, with grades and prices in the first post, that would be fine.

The constant "bumping" with placeholders got your thread pulled. So start your thread, list the books w/the grade and prices and then post the scans later on when you have time.

That will fly. Creating a 4 page thread with only one relevant post will not.

I was hoping to avoid clutter and fill in that information at the start of the thread instead of putting my buyers through an Easter Egg hunt but I can see where the moderators could have taken issue.

If you wanted to start a sales thread with a list of books, with grades and prices in the first post, that would be fine.

The constant "bumping" with placeholders got your thread pulled. So start your thread, list the books w/the grade and prices and then post the scans later on when you have time.

I was hoping to avoid clutter and fill in that information at the start of the thread instead of putting my buyers through an Easter Egg hunt but I can see where the moderators could have taken issue.

If that concerns you, you could always put a list of the books and prices and grades in the first post and add scans to subsequent new posts as you can, and then recap in a single post later so that buyers will have a clear way of knowing what's available at both the beginning of the thread and later as it progresses.

If that concerns you, you could always put a list of the books and prices and grades in the first post and add scans to subsequent new posts as you can, and then recap in a single post later so that buyers will have a clear way of knowing what's available at both the beginning of the thread and later as it progresses.

its up to you how to run your thread, but the easter egg hunt occurs either way. I spend the x amount of time going through your various lists of comics, making my own list of things I might be interested in. Then I spend X amount of time hunting down the pics of those books. Then I realize I forgot what the price was, then have to go back through the lists and find the price. Then by the time I decide to buy it, someone else has already done so, or I'm tired and sleepy. As opposed to where I see one post with title, price, and pic then I just buy it on the spot.

Of course every buyer and every seller is different.

Or edit your first post with links to the scans.

Adding hyperlinks was part of the plan. I was just using the space holders in an attempt to avoid clutter.

In retrospect it seems to have been a mistake.

its up to you how to run your thread, but the easter egg hunt occurs either way. I spend the x amount of time going through your various lists of comics, making my own list of things I might be interested in. Then I spend X amount of time hunting down the pics of those books. Then I realize I forgot what the price was, then have to go back through the lists and find the price. Then by the time I decide to buy it, someone else has already done so, or I'm tired and sleepy. As opposed to where I see one post with title, price, and pic then I just buy it on the spot.

All sellers who have had threads here learn that other posters can't resist posting into a sales thread with their two cents bumping some of the listings from page 2 to page 3 or 4.

I woke up early on Sunday and thought, hey while no one is around I will take those first few pages for myself to avoid that but it seems that my creativity was not rewarded.

That was beautiful, bro.

wow-snow-bkgd-o.gif

Your penchant for order belies your board name...

(tsk)

lol, I am just hoping the mods will help me get some of the data from the first page back.

I made changes in the thread that are not backed up on my computer (who knew the thread was going poof?).

Edited by Dr Chaos

Well, I'm glad I saw those Hawkeyes before it went poof!

And sorry to see all your work gone. :(

Just some of it.

I can recreate the thread but it was looking epic when I finally went to bed last night.

Thanks again for your purchase.

Edited by Dr Chaos

Thanks!

I don't think the thread was deleted.

When I click the hyperlink in my signature I get a screen that says access denied.

I think if a mod or administrator is kind enough to help me that I can get the data back.

Otherwise I did it once, I can do it again.

I feel your pain. Last year I had an auction thread entirely deleted an hour before it was due to end, because I had neglected to post BIN amounts for the auction books. Very frustrating!

One thing I always do when prepping a sales thread is use a "dead" PM thread (where the other person has removed themselves from the thread) to post my images and finetune all the descriptions and code to get them right. Handy to have a backup set hanging out there in case something goes kablooie for whatever reason.

Looking forward to its return. Saw some books that caught me eye!

Stay tuned for Son of the Dr Chaos Modern Thread Returns the Sequel.

There are some online auctions this week so I am not sure if I will repost tonight or a few day from now.

Either way the new thread will be bigger and better.

I feel your pain. Last year I had an auction thread entirely deleted an hour before it was due to end, because I had neglected to post BIN amounts for the auction books. Very frustrating!

One thing I always do when prepping a sales thread is use a "dead" PM thread (where the other person has removed themselves from the thread) to post my images and finetune all the descriptions and code to get them right. Handy to have a backup set hanging out there in case something goes kablooie for whatever reason.

You can also just send a PM to yourself without using a dead thread. And if it's something major like a VCC booth, I strongly recommend typing everything on your computer in Word and then copying and pasting to your PM. You don't want to be 2/3rds through when you lose you internet connection and your work.

You can also just send a PM to yourself without using a dead thread. And if it's something major like a VCC booth, I strongly recommend typing everything on your computer in Word and then copying and pasting to your PM. You don't want to be 2/3rds through when you lose you internet connection and your work.

Two great suggestions! Thanks for posting those

All sellers who have had threads here learn that other posters can't resist posting into a sales thread with their two cents bumping some of the listings from page 2 to page 3 or 4.

I woke up early on Sunday and thought, hey while no one is around I will take those first few pages for myself to avoid that but it seems that my creativity was not rewarded.

Not sure I follow this. Doesn't someone posting a comment in your sales thread bump the thread to the head of the line? I don't see how it can cause it to drop to a lower page. (shrug)

In any event, count me among those who prefer the one book with price per post. That way I don't have to navigate back to the first post to figure out what the price is. Or scroll through a long line of books all in the same post.