• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, sfcityduck said:

To me, this thread graphically illustrates why the census is not necessarily an indicator of rarity for books. For a lot of GA books folks just don't want to pay money to encapsulate them because it is not worth it. The irony of this thread is that a lot of people are showing pics of raw comics that they don't intend to encapsulate. In contrast, you've got pedigrees that were likely encapsulated because they are pedigrees and the owner wanted to preserve the provenance. But, for example, there are five Tarzan 76s on eBay for prices that just don't warrant encapsulation (1 is in the $60 range, the others are less than $20). Is Tarzan 76 rare or scarce? I don't think so. It is unlikely to be encapsulated? Yes ... unless there's a good reason like it is an extremely high grade or to preserve provenance (and yours is both).

i'm happy to see everybody's stuff, but my thought when creating the thread was on comics that would generally get submitted and graded (not inexpensive stuff that doesn't really merit it).

what i didn't anticipate was posting stuff in 2017, then the fun of looking back years later and seeing how many (if any) had been slabbed in the interim.

the "over time" aspect is almost as interesting as the "initial posting" numbers! (to me)

On 9/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, PDGray said:

X-Men 1 (1991) - print run of 8,186,500 - 14249 graded so - 0.17% of the print run graded

Superman 75 (1993) - print run of 750,000 - 3379 graded so - 0.45% of the print run graded

Spawn 1 (1992) - print run of 1,700,000 - 25,393 graded so - 1.49% of the print run graded

With modern books like these, what are the lowest grades shown on the census?

X-men 1 (1991): lowest is 3.0, and more than half are at 9.8 or above.

Superman 75 (1993): lowest is 4.0, and nearly half of the graded copies are 9.8.

Spawn 1 (1992): lowest is 0.5 (not sure what's going on there...), but just about half are at 9.8 or above.

While there are those oddball low grades (maybe someone's sentimental copy or a sketched cover), GENERALLY people won't submit the book unless it is a high grade copy.  It's what City Duck is saying:

On 9/16/2022 at 12:22 PM, sfcityduck said:

those that survive are not viewed as warranting encapsulation

And Circumstance is echoing that view:

On 9/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, circumstances said:

my thought when creating the thread was on comics that would generally get submitted and graded (not inexpensive stuff that doesn't really merit it)

So my assumption was that the thread had meant to be an indicator of "rare" books, but it turned out not to be (but also can be).  Which is interesting as it's own topic.  I am glad for this thread existing.

If I were to create a thread topic based on what I believe the initial motivation for the thread was, I'd make it something like "Gerber 9+ GA".  BUT, that would be a very slow thread as there wouldn't be many postings, and someone would have to make a listing of those particular Gerber books so other members know which issues to post.

hm

On 9/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, Yorick said:

Superman 75 (1993): lowest is 4.0, and nearly half of the graded copies are 9.8.

Spawn 1 (1992): lowest is 0.5 (not sure what's going on there...), but just about half are at 9.8 or above.

While there are those oddball low grades (maybe someone's sentimental copy or a sketched cover), GENERALLY people won't submit the book unless it is a high grade copy.  It's what City Duck is saying:

So my assumption was that the thread had meant to be an indicator of "rare" books, but it turned out not to be (but also can be).  Which is interesting as it's own topic.  I am glad for this thread existing.

If I were to create a thread topic based on what I believe the initial motivation for the thread was, I'd make it something like "Gerber 9+ GA".  BUT, that would be a very slow thread as there wouldn't be many postings, and someone would have to make a listing of those particular Gerber books so other members know which issues to post.

hm

We probably have uncovered some things Ernie thought were 7, 6, 5, that might should have been 8s and 9s!

(I didn't look them up, but the war year Champs, Prizes, Blue Ribbons, Speeds, etc. are probably 5s and 6s).

On 9/17/2022 at 7:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

A Spawn 1 that is only 0.5? Now that is rare! That book is very tough to find below 9.0!

I can get you a Spawn #1 0.5.  PM me your email and I'll send you a paypal invoice $$$!!!  :raygun:

On 9/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, Yorick said:

hm

Oh, I agree - I think SFCityDuck is on the money.

I think my bigger question is now - how many of these GA books truly exist and then how many of those are graded?

I absolutely love the statistical analyses of these sorts of things.  I find them fascinating!

My other question would be where do we find the Gerber rating?  I have heard of it for years, but don't know where/how to find them?

PDG

On 9/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, PDGray said:

I think my bigger question is now - how many of these GA books truly exist and then how many of those are graded?

I absolutely love the statistical analyses of these sorts of things.  I find them fascinating!

My other question would be where do we find the Gerber rating?  I have heard of it for years, but don't know where/how to find them?

PDG

You need to purchase his books. I don't put a whole lot of stock into his ratings, nor the CGC ratings either for that matter. There are still tons of "unknown" copies still out there un accounted for...

On 9/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, PDGray said:

PDG

For your first question, longtime GA dealers and collectors who post on this site (e.g. Bedrock, Robotman, etc.) have great insights because they have experiences, connections, and memories/notes that many of us lack. Me, I just have some personal anecdotes and a memory for what others wiser people have said on this site.

For your second question, the books you need to buy are the Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books vols. 1 and 2 by Ernst Gerber. You can find them on eBay. They are a great resource for any GA collector.  There are Marvel Books also, but I don't see the need for those.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

Zero on census. Trying to figure out what the two stickers on bag mean? I can’t remember (if I ever knew). 

image.jpg

Those romance from ACC are all pretty tough in nice shape 

On 9/21/2022 at 6:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

Zero on census. Trying to figure out what the two stickers on bag mean? I can’t remember (if I ever knew). 

image.jpg

Yeah, David IS being ridiculous!  Look at that sugar-momma!!  TAKE!

"Q" = qualified?

On 9/22/2022 at 5:21 PM, Yorick said:

Yeah, David IS being ridiculous!  Look at that sugar-momma!!  TAKE!

"Q" = qualified?

Given his seated position, and choice of shorts, could she be saying "Balls Showing, Dave"?

On 9/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Given his seated position, and choice of shorts, could she be saying "Balls Showing, Dave"?

I'm looking at it again... her legs are loooong!

I'm having a tough time coming up with a good BSD  (shrug)  "Bit@# Slapped Dave"?