• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I guess I’m old because I don’t count the 90’s as old but as modern!😂

It just goes to demonstrate Black Adam has been around more than people realize. If you were reading DC Comics.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:34 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

True that. Impeccable artwork and tremendous fun read. (thumbsu

1304258740_BlackAdamMr.Tawny.thumb.png.a6083763d1e673d9c689c1945f38704e.png

Ordway's fantastic with the more retro characters.

Liked his work on All-Star Squadron, JSA in all but name, continued on into the first 10 issues or so of the legacy Infinity Inc book.

Agree with everything already said about his Shazam! material later in the 90s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Black Adams appearance in Doomsday Clock (2017) is another modern interpretation that I think is great. Although that story is never a film adaptation that I could see happening, I can visualise The Rock in that role and how he intends for the character to be, challenging the heroes and being a major threat.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, RickSp said:

Really enjoyed this one. I actually felt pleased for The Rock for getting to finally make this film! Then again I am a big fan of the guy.

It’s got it’s flaws, mostly around some the extras and how I wish they’d tighten up some of the dialogue. JSA were awesome to see though, Hawkman was excellent.

I like how they left things at the end and the credit tease was hopefully a sign of good things to come.

I loved the jsa and hawkman.  He was great.  Wish they had other members

On 10/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, WolverineX said:

I loved the jsa and hawkman.  He was great.  Wish they had other members

Makes you wonder if the studio want to see the upcoming Flash and Green Lantern projects do well before considering bringing the golden age versions along as part of the JSA.

the run of JSA I enjoyed had Jack Knight Starman, my boy!, for one issue and then Stargirl. The old guys were mostly gone, Wildcat was around as mentor and Jay and Alan as well but it was also focused on newer generation. Johnny Thunder passes the lightning bolt to Jakeem Thunder and that was fun.  I had never read JSA before James Robinson Starman introduced me to the characters but I love the books I read in that decade. Mister Terrific was an arrogant (ithought Richard was now allowed?). but a fun read, new Hourman and Dr Fate IIRC both groovy as well. Hawkgirl (name escapes me, Shiera Saunders?), Atom Smasher.

I am an odd DC JSA duck, I care not for Barry Allen, give me Wally or Jay and Alan Scott is my GL from the Golden Age, Starman and these JSA issues and I care little and no little of any other GL. So when guys in the LCS are saying the old Flash is the best I usually pipe up with "Jay? He's my Flash". I did read the wonderful Waid Flash with Wally and Linda, so Wally is aces in my book too.

Edited by Bird

Overall I give this movie a 5/10.  It just seemed a lot like Aquaman where I didn't really like it but didn't really dislike it either.  I thought it would've worked better with Black Adam going straight bad guy and defeating the villain at the end because he wanted to be ruler (Kind of like the Invincible cartoon "Earth is not yours to take over").  I did like that it didn't feel like the average super hero movie, it definitely was different. The last thing I have to say is the main character boy was annoying it would've went a lot better had they decreased his part and expanded on JSA and the demon part at the end of the movie.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

...The last thing I have to say is the main character boy was annoying it would've went a lot better had they decreased his part and expanded on JSA and the demon part at the end of the movie.

It felt like they just wanted to recreate the way that Shazam has a kid-friend sidekick.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It felt like they just wanted to recreate the way that Shazam has a kid-friend sidekick.

Agreed.  If you had take his time and given it more to the JSA, I think the movie would've been better. Pierce as Dr. Fate was my favorite thing in the movie. I also wasn't a big fan of Cyclone, my buddy and I kept referring to her as Fruit Roll up wind girl.  She just seemed useless besides the "look smart" stuff.

Spoiler

I loved the scene where Hawkman and BA are fighting and Dr. Fate is just hanging out watching them.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 10/27/2022 at 10:13 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

...The last thing I have to say is the main character boy was annoying it would've went a lot better had they decreased his part and expanded on JSA and the demon part at the end of the movie.

That's why I had said it doesn't "kick in the feels" the same as the 1st Shazam. :) I mean it has a plight to people and their unrest, but I knew Adults and a city turmoil would maybe be taken different than "kids in high-school". All are different "circumstances" but the same kind of, in that someone needs the Shazam as a "representative" which I think they handled well enough. And you don't know for the entire course of the film, with this one, if Black Adam is up for the part. 

On 10/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

Agreed.  If you had take his time and given it more to the JSA, I think the movie would've been better. Pierce as Dr. Fate was my favorite thing in the movie. I also wasn't a big fan of Cyclone, my buddy and I kept referring to her as Fruit Roll up wind girl.  She just seemed useless besides the "look smart" stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

I loved the scene where Hawkman and BA are fighting and Dr. Fate is just hanging out watching them.

Atom Smasher and Cyclone were basically Black Widow and Hawkeye, except they're actually useful in fights. I'm okay with that, because I think that Fate and Hawkman were well-done.

And, yes, that scene was very entertaining. Funny and cool.

Despite the tragic end of Kent Nelson, Doctor Fate's story in the DCU may not be over yet. In a new interview with USA Today, Brosnan chats about his potential future with the franchise following the conclusion of Black Adam. He gives a rather optimistic answer as he shares the following:

"So I think the door is open. I honestly have no idea where this will go. I just know I'm very proud of the work playing Dr. Fate and honored being part of the DC comic book world."

On 10/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, Bird said:

the run of JSA I enjoyed had Jack Knight Starman, my boy!, for one issue and then Stargirl. The old guys were mostly gone, Wildcat was around as mentor and Jay and Alan as well but it was also focused on newer generation. Johnny Thunder passes the lightning bolt to Jakeem Thunder and that was fun.  I had never read JSA before James Robinson Starman introduced me to the characters but I love the books I read in that decade. Mister Terrific was an arrogant (ithought Richard was now allowed?). but a fun read, new Hourman and Dr Fate IIRC both groovy as well. Hawkgirl (name escapes me, Shiera Saunders?), Atom Smasher.

I am an odd DC JSA duck, I care not for Barry Allen, give me Wally or Jay and Alan Scott is my GL from the Golden Age, Starman and these JSA issues and I care little and no little of any other GL. So when guys in the LCS are saying the old Flash is the best I usually pipe up with "Jay? He's my Flash". I did read the wonderful Waid Flash with Wally and Linda, so Wally is aces in my book too.

Sounds like the Geoff Johns JSA run, although the Starman issue was by Robinson and Goyer, before he took over. I rate both of the 2000s series very highly.

Hawkgirl in the run was Kendra Saunders.

Edited by Ken Aldred