• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 10:14 AM, Dark Knight said:

If I were a bidder, I'd treat its value as an incomplete coverless and go from there

I get that. It’s definitely going to sell for a lot more than if it didn’t have the cover parts though. I recall the Superman 1 that had similar elements, parts of the cover added to a color copy. That sold for about $47K or so last I recall. That was about double what a standard coverless copy was worth at the time, so there’s definitely a solid premium going on top a coverless. Despite missing the centerfold and having some conservation done, I have no clue what a more or less complete coverless copy is worth now. I haven’t seen a coverless near complete action 1 sell for years. Pretty sure just a standard, well presenting coverless and unrestored action 1 would break $125K-$150K. The last time I recall one selling it was a private sale and went for about $90K, but that was years ago.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I get that. It’s definitely going to sell for a lot more than if it didn’t have the cover parts though. I recall the Superman 1 that had similar elements, parts of the cover added to a color copy. That sold for about $47K or so last I recall. That was about double what a standard coverless copy was worth at the time, so there’s definitely a solid premium going on top a coverless. Despite missing the centerfold and having some conservation done, I have no clue what a more or less complete coverless copy is worth now. I haven’t seen a coverless near complete action 1 sell for years. Pretty sure just a standard, well presenting coverless and unrestored action 1 would break $125K-$150K. The last time I recall one selling it was a private sale and went for about $90K, but that was years ago.

I think that is a good starting range for the book.  Might sell for more given all the parts and restoration added.  I haven't seen a coverless complete Action 1 sell publicly at auction in a very long time.  Since Tec 27 is the closest book that is in the same level price-wise as an Action 1 and a complete coverless Tec 27 sold for around $80k last year, I think double that amount is a fair assessment for the Action 1.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think that is a good starting range for the book.  Might sell for more given all the parts and restoration added.  I haven't seen a coverless complete Action 1 sell publicly at auction in a very long time.  Since Tec 27 is the closest book that is in the same level price-wise as an Action 1 and a complete coverless Tec 27 sold for around $80k last year, I think double that amount is a fair assessment for the Action 1.

Yeah I mean it’s definitely a unique copy. Will look forward to seeing where it hammers!

On 3/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve had a hard time evaluating this myself. Leaf casting was done to the pages, so it’s impossible to know how much is real and how much isn’t. 

Don't know anything at all about this process here, but if you really can't tell what is real from what is not, then doesn't this sound a bit like what the Meyers were doing and their books were considered to be ungradeable?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/4/2023 at 2:43 AM, Professor K said:

leaf casting 

And honestly seeing those photo examples, I once again go back to @GreatCaesarsGhost’s earlier comment about how much. So yeah wish photos were taken pre-grading to see what the extent of leaf casting was done. Definitely would change my mind on the potential sale if it was a moderate to considerable amount, but I digress since interior photos there is not.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:02 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

And honestly seeing those photo examples, I once again go back to @GreatCaesarsGhost’s earlier comment about how much. So yeah wish photos were taken pre-grading to see what the extent of leaf casting was done. Definitely would change my mind on the potential sale if it was a moderate to considerable amount, but I digress since interior photos there is not.

Definitely too many unknowns to be an informed buyer. One thing I’m certain of is it will sell for multiple factors of what I would pay. 

On 3/5/2023 at 3:23 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I've got tracking bids down that may have me saying "oops, I did it again".  C'mon people!

Clark.

I will have bids that may have me saying "oops, I did it again.

I will say on the upside there heading to your house also for a visit with your wins. :bigsmile:

On 3/5/2023 at 6:23 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I've got tracking bids down that may have me saying "oops, I did it again".  C'mon people!

Maybe I shouldn't say this but to me the CC auctions don't start until the 3 minute timer begins, prior to that they're just previews.  

On 3/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Professor K said:

Maybe I shouldn't say this but to me the CC auctions don't start until the 3 minute timer begins, prior to that they're just previews.  

Three minutes can be a lifetime of agony.  Better the few seconds for HA and eBay auctions.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, fifties said:

Three minutes can be a lifetime of agony.  Better the few seconds for HA and eBay auctions.

Especially if you have the high bid. lol.  Seriously, though, I agree.  I just started buying on eBay, and I much prefer the ComicLink/eBay style.

I am just absolutely and totally shocked that I actually received my copy of the pamphlet promoting and highlighting some of the featured lots from this Event Auction #53 in the mail earlier this week even BEFORE the auction ends next week.  :whatthe:

Especially since I normally receive this phamphlet in the mail from Malmo, Sweden about 2 or 3 weeks AFTER the auction has already ended.  :facepalm:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Whats that poor mans Action 1 gonna hammer at ??

I’m starting to second guess my initial thoughts of $150K-$200K. Now I’m thinking around $125K. I’d be astonished if it didn’t break $100K.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/7/2023 at 12:41 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Whats that poor mans Action 1 gonna hammer at ??

I’m starting to second guess my initial thoughts of $150K-$200K. Now I’m thinking around $125K. I’d be astonished if it didn’t break $100K.

it won't break 6 figs