• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2023 at 5:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

On the other hand, there may still be some deals to be had.  For example, this copy of New Fun 5, which has the earliest GGA cover, is still sitting at a measly $1,300, which is way below its FMV:

new1.59_1.jpg

ComicConnect - NEW FUN COMICS #5 - VG/F: 5.0

Interesting 

On 6/20/2023 at 1:24 AM, lou_fine said:

A bit of the same scenario for the CGC 2.0 copy of Bat 1 selling for $176.5K when CC had sold a slighly higher graded CGC 2.5 copy for $270K back in March of 2022, albeit the scarcer "No Dot" version which might have helped to bump up the price a bit:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/946200

bat1.20670_2.jpg

.  :applause:

In the rare book world the "no dot" would be called the "first printing, first state" and "with errata" 

Well, well, well.................looks like they've got a near complete run of the GA Subby comics starting from the Churchill assassination #3 issue and including a couple of nice mid-grade classic cover issues:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004634

sub1.901.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004636

sub1.903.jpg

Not sure where they'll finish up at, but should be interesting to watch as Subby 11 is currently at $8,655 and Subby 13 is at a piddly $4,417 with none of that 15% BP nuisance to add on top for either of these two books.  (thumbsu  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 8/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, well, well.................looks like they've got a near complete run of the GA Subby comics starting from the Churchill assassination #3 issue and including a couple of nice mid-grade classic cover issues:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004634

sub1.901.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004636

sub1.903.jpg

Not sure where they'll finish up at, but should be interesting to watch as Subby 11 is currently at $8,655 and Subby 13 is at a piddly $4,417 with none of that 15% BP nuisance to add on top for either of these two books.  (thumbsu  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Do we know if the BP is actually off on some of the lots or just forgotten in the description?

On 8/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Do we know if the BP is actually off on some of the lots or just forgotten in the description?

Highly doubt there would be much chance of making that type of mistake like that.  (thumbsu

My guess is that a lot of the newbie consignors who's trying to squeeze every last dollar for themselves would go for the 15% BP, while many of the older longer term collectors wouldn't bother with this nuisance of a 15% BP since the net gain is only a fraction of a percentage point.  hm  

To tell you the honest truth though, I can't even remember how the convoluted 15% BP calculation works anymore, but I remember that the difference was pretty much insignificant in the grand scheme of things when they first introduced it a couple of years ago.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I'm not a big fan of Heritage's 20% BP, but at least they show you the bid + BP on-screen.  I've never bid on ComicConnect, but may in this auction, so I already have my "actual max bid" cell in Excel adjusted for the additional bp working for some of these auctions I may bid on. lol.  The only problem is making sure I know which ones have the BP and which ones don't.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:24 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I had the same question last year, and folks here said pretty much the same thing they're saying now -- that it's up to the consignor, and some choose to use the BP and some don't.

Echoing what others have said, it's a confusing and nonsensical system, and the auctions are riddled with small errors and typos... last night I was bidding on a Pep #36 that boasted "Alex Schomburg WWII cover!" in multiple places. I have VERY little confidence that if I win an auction that omits the BP language, I won't suddenly be on the hook for one anyway.

Maybe I missed it, but those of you questioning whether a BP will be applied whether it was supposed to or not, has that happened with ComicConnect before?  I haven't heard of it, so just asking.  If you're that worried, maybe just take a screenshot showing whether or not a 15% bp was shown on the item before bidding or something.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Telegan said:

Maybe I missed it, but those of you questioning whether a BP will be applied whether it was supposed to or not, has that happened with ComicConnect before?  I haven't heard of it, so just asking.  If you're that worried, maybe just take a screenshot showing whether or not a 15% bp was shown on the item before bidding or something.

What I don't understand is why it's so hard for bidders to figure out whether there's a 15% BP on the individual lots or not.  :facepalm:

Especially since it's the first line in Bold Print in the listing description for every single individual lot if there is one.  If there's none, then there is no BP for that lot.  All I have to say is that it's not exactly rocket science that we are looking at here:  doh!

In an auction lot with no BP in there, if you bid $1,000 for a book and you win it, you pay $1,000;  and

In an auction lot that has a 15% BP to be added in and CLEARLY denoted as such, if you bid $1,000 for a book and win it, you pay guess what.........$1,150 which is made up of your $1,000 hammer bid plus an additional $150 for the 15 BP.  Is this really that hard to figure out?  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, lou_fine said:

What I don't understand is why it's so hard for bidders to figure out whether there's a 15% BP on the individual lots or not.  :facepalm:

Especially since it's the first line in Bold Print in the listing description for every single individual lot if there is one.  If there's none, then there is no BP for that lot.  All I have to say is that it's not exactly rocket science that we are looking at here:  doh!

In an auction lot with no BP in there, if you bid $1,000 for a book and you win it, you pay $1,000;  and

In an auction lot that has a 15% BP to be added in and CLEARLY denoted as such, if you bid $1,000 for a book and win it, you pay guess what.........$1,150 which is made up of your $1,000 hammer bid plus an additional $150 for the 15 BP.  Is this really that hard to figure out?  :bigsmile:

Yeah, the figuring out if there's a 15% BP on an auction isn't difficult, so I thought there may have been an instance of people getting charged BP when they weren't supposed to or something.

For people like me, the "issue" (albeit not a huge one) is different.  For those who care because of how they bid, they have to sit there figuring things out either beforehand or while the auction is ongoing in the meantime seeing if the other 6 auctions they're going to bid on are coming or they've won because of the 3 minute reset on bids. lol.  I think pretty much everybody can calculate 115% of a number. :)

For example, people operating on a budget-per-auction or book, they want to know how much they should bid on a book before they win the book.  I mean, if I pay $1000 for a book, then dur... of course it's $1150 after the fact.  Many people don't bid that way - they go into it wanting to bid around FMV+ (using something like GPA sales for FMV) for the book.  Say you determine FMV is $475 on a book, so you're willing to bid say, $485 on it.  Great.  But said auction has a 15% BP on some of the books but not all.  Does this one?  Let's assume "yes".  So now how much should you really bid?  By my calculation, I should bid no more than around $421.  With your way, if you bid around FMV - say the $485 I mentioned earlier, you'd be bidding $485 on the book and end up paying around $558 including the BP.  Now imagine having to do this for about 9, 10, or more books you're wanting to bid on while watching to see if you've won any of the previous bids in the auction or if they're still ongoing due to the 3-minute reset on bids during the auction.

For people that just see their books and throw a number out there above FMV and don't really care, this wouldn't be an issue.  For others, it's a PITA.  I usually get started a day or two before to determine what I want to bid on what comics as a result.

Edited by Telegan

On 8/26/2023 at 6:29 AM, RareHighGrade said:

All I know is that I find the uncalculated 15% add-on to be very confusing and annoying and I tend to bid less aggressively on those books as a result.

I for one am shocked--shocked!--that CC/Metro would be opaque in their dealings! 

On 8/26/2023 at 8:17 AM, Point Five said:

I had the same question last year, and folks here said pretty much the same thing they're saying now -- that it's up to the consignor, and some choose to use the BP and some don't.

Echoing what others have said, it's a confusing and nonsensical system, and the auctions are riddled with small errors and typos... last night I was bidding on a Pep #36 that boasted "Alex Schomburg WWII cover!" in multiple places. I have VERY little confidence that if I win an auction that omits the BP language, I won't suddenly be on the hook for one anyway.

You should take a screen shot of any auction without the BP language so that if CC try to charge you for it, you can challenge them.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:41 AM, lou_fine said:

The implication from some here seems to be that in the past they've been charged the BP even though it wasn't indicated in the listing.