• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 7:40 AM, batman_fan said:

A lot of the stuff I am tracking doesn’t even seem to have any serious bids on them.  Extremely low tracking bids.

Hey :makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::preach::preach::preach:

On 3/11/2024 at 4:22 PM, Kromak said:

No, I wasn't. The main problem was with their payment method, something called bill.com (that no one told me was going to be used when I consigned). It continued requesting me a document number that only companies have (even though there was an option to choose if you are a person or a company)

After one month of several email exchanges and complaints, someone from CC did himself my registration and on bill.com. After that I was informed that two of my books were not sold and if I would like to keep waiting for the payment or to do something else with them. It was also said the payment would go through a review process. I then asked which books were not sold.

That was a week ago. There was no answer about which books were not sold. In the meanwhile I contacted the consignments guy and he answered my question. A few minutes ago I sent another email asking about the current status of the payment's review process.

My single consignment with them had several books mysteriously not get paid for either.  I have suspicions about how this happens, but I'll leave that to speculation. 

On 3/12/2024 at 7:40 AM, batman_fan said:

A lot of the stuff I am tracking doesn’t even seem to have any serious bids on them.  Extremely low tracking bids.

Like most of their auctions, the real action often doesn't tend to ramp up until the last day or so, and if it's a seldom seen book, in the last few hours and right through to their extended 3-minute bidding sessions.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Like most of these HA and CC auctions, I won't be taking a close look until this coming weekend.  Took a quick glance though and did noticed the low bids to this current point in time, with some 4-figure condition guide valuation books still sitting at only 2-figures for now.  Then again, I've seen this before and should NOT get my hopes up too high since previous CC Event Auctions have had books sitting at these 2-figure amounts of $50 or so, only to see them finish up way above condition guide at price points like $2K to $3K.  So, will be interesting to check this auction out this coming weekend and see what piques my interest and what the final results will be.  hm:popcorn:

On 3/12/2024 at 10:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Like most of their auctions, the real action often doesn't tend to ramp up until the last day or so, and if it's a seldom seen book, in the last few hours and right through to their extended 3-minute bidding sessions.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Like most of these HA and CC auctions, I won't be taking a close look until this coming weekend.  Took a quick glance though and did noticed the low bids to this current point in time, with some 4-figure condition guide valuation books still sitting at only 2-figures for now.  Then again, I've seen this before and should NOT get my hopes up too high since previous CC Event Auctions have had books sitting at these 2-figure amounts of $50 or so, only to see them finish up way above condition guide at price points like $2K to $3K.  So, will be interesting to check this auction out this coming weekend and see what piques my interest and what the final results will be.  hm:popcorn:

I thought like this also the real bids will go crazy in last 3 min. I told my girlfriend look at this Marvel Mystery 2 at 8800 in cgc 4.5 this was 2020.

I said it will go for 15k easy in the last 3 min she said I was crazy, so I showed her I bid 10k and said now watch and learn.

the hammer hit and I won the bid no extra bidding :facepalm: I don't even collect Timleys, so I just put the book away.

I have been happy since 2 years later this happened ComicConnect - MARVEL MYSTERY #2 - CGC FA/GD: 1.5 

Than Ha happened. 

mar2.2000_7.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to | Lot #92052 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to white pages....

Edited by woowoo

On 3/13/2024 at 8:48 AM, woowoo said:

I thought like this also the real bids will go crazy in last 3 min. I told my girlfriend look at this Marvel Mystery 2 at 8800 in cgc 4.5 this was 2020.

I said it will go for 15k easy in the last 3 min she said I was crazy, so I showed her I bid 10k and said now watch and learn.

the hammer hit and I won the bid no extra bidding :facepalm: I don't even collect Timleys, so I just put the book away.

I have been happy since 2 years later this happened ComicConnect - MARVEL MYSTERY #2 - CGC FA/GD: 1.5 

Than Ha happened. 

mar2.2000_7.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to | Lot #92052 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to white pages....

Yeah but the CC copy has brittle pages and you know how many collectors love brittle pages

Are you planning on selling your copy for a nice gain?

On 3/13/2024 at 10:53 AM, batman_fan said:

Yeah but the CC copy has brittle pages and you know how many collectors love brittle pages

Are you planning on selling your copy for a nice gain?

I was happy since the 1.5 brittle sold for 12k and I paid under 10k not including the 1k tax for my cgc 4.5 below. The Heritage same grade sold for 26k

To answer your question Yes if someone with books like you come along its gone. hm There would have to be a bottle included.:cheers:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/869473

mar2.1894_1.jpg

On 3/12/2024 at 10:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, I've seen this before and should NOT get my hopes up too high since previous CC Event Auctions have had books sitting at these 2-figure amounts of $50 or so, only to see them finish up way above condition guide at price points like $2K to $3K.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:13 AM, tth2 said:

Who are you and what have you done with the real Lou_Fine?

Still me, but being held hostage by those nasty boys over at CC/Metro and forced to post the lyng words which they gave to me.  :fear:lol

Seriously though, only about a hour to go before the live bidding and 3-minute extended bidding time periods kick in for today's auction and looks like the action and bids have really picked up on the comic book lots, especially for the late Jon Berk copies at least.  (thumbsu  :popcorn:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/17/2024 at 4:55 PM, lou_fine said:

[L]ooks like the action and bids have really picked up on the comic book lots, especially for the late Jon Berk copies at least.

This is one that I'm watching. It's not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I'm curious to see what it'll sell for. For people interested in the history of the hobby, it's an important proto-comic, and you don't see copies pop up every day.

Wow2.JPG

On 3/17/2024 at 2:32 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

This is one that I'm watching. It's not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I'm curious to see what it'll sell for. For people interested in the history of the hobby, it's an important proto-comic, and you don't see copies pop up every day.

Wow2.JPG

Did you win this one here as it went for the bargain basement pittance of a price of just a tad over $12K including the 15% BP juice tossed in there for extra measure?  lol  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/17/2024 at 7:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you win this one here as it went for the bargain basement pittance of a price of just a tad over $12K with the 15% BP juice tossed in there?

I was not a bidder (except for maybe a $1 or $5 tracking bid). It went far beyond my initial guess. In an auction like this one, with many of Jon's personal friends bidding, etc., it was able to command a very strong price, but I think that the pool of prospective buyers would likely be small on any given day. I'm too risk averse to ever buy something like that unless it were to stay really cheap—but it's a treat just to see one that nice.

(I wonder if a boardie bought it! I'd love to see it cracked out.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/17/2024 at 8:55 PM, batman_fan said:

A few I was watching/bidding on.  Made someone pay a lot more for one of them.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.51.42 PM.png

Those were all very strong results, but this one is especially shocking. When I looked at it, my first thought was, "They gave a 6.0 to a book with that big of a stain?" Sure enough, it used to be a 4.5.

I wonder how many of these books went to people who knew Jon personally and wanted to own the books for that reason. It's hard to understand those prices otherwise.

Wonderworld27.JPG

On 3/17/2024 at 4:22 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

In an auction like this one, with many of Jon's personal friends bidding, etc., it was able to command a very strong price, but I think that the pool of prospective buyers would likely be small on any given day.

Yep, from the shockingly high prices being realized on most of these lots, it looks like the new marketing strategy going forward is to ensure you post your scans AFTER the live auction bidding has aready began, in order to drive up the anticipation and get the bidders into a mad frenzy.  :idea:  lol

Not sure if it was Jon's friends that were bidding, but I guess the rest of the GA offerings over the next few days will give us a better idea if some of this bidding was done by collectors who just want to acquire a book from the Jon Berk Collection, especially since this will be the last of the bunch. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 3/17/2024 at 5:55 PM, batman_fan said:

A few I was watching/bidding on.  Made someone pay a lot more for one of them.

Looks like you forgot to include this super rarity and a clear sign that the market for this book is super strong when a trimmed and Moderately Restored PLOD copy can still go for well over 16X unrestored condition guide value at a final price of $9,685.30:  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/732986

our4.31.jpg

On 3/17/2024 at 8:26 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Those were all very strong results, but this one is especially shocking. When I looked at it, my first thought was, "They gave a 6.0 to a book with that big of a stain?" Sure enough, it used to be a 4.5.

I wonder how many of these books went to people who knew Jon personally and wanted to own the books for that reason. It's hard to understand those prices otherwise.

Wonderworld27.JPG

I am the person who ran the bidding up that high but didn't win it.  I wanted it because it was a Larson with "Larson" written on it.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The Larsons offered in the sale were issues with low census counts and from currently sought after publishers. 

I was surprised by the results, but not overly so.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Wonderworld27.JPG

Well, that grade and price point of only $264.50 was from a Heritage auction result from way way back in December of 2002 which is like many many lifetimes ago in terms of how super red hot the GA comic book market is today.  hm  (shrug)

Clearly, the Larson pedigree would also be a factor here, along with the fact that these later Fox issues were not as highly sought after as they are in today's marketplace where long time collectors have clearly clued into the fact how truly rare they are.  (thumbsu

Interesting to note that this price point of $9,200 for this CGC 6.0 Larson copy is miles ahead of the CGC 9.6 highest graded by a long shot Church copy of Wonderworld 27 that Jon was able to fetch in his big auction back in the summer of 2017.  :luhv:   :takeit: