• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,515 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2022 at 7:16 PM, F For Fake said:

The last of my books from the Target sale arrived today. I still have a stack of vinyl heading my way, but the books shipped quickly.

I love Brereton’s art, but haven’t read the Nocturnals stuff since it was first published, so I’m looking forward to these.

I also caved and picked up the Penguin Classics Marvel books. I was hesitant at first as I already have this material in numerous formats. These are definitely aimed at the casual bookstore reader, as most of the hardcore comic folks already have these in floppies, Masterworks, Omnis, Epics, etc

I was ultimately swayed by the presentation. These are just really well made books. Oversized, gold gilded pages, sewn binding, scholarly introductory writing as you’d expect from any Penguin Classics release, and paper on par with or better than the Masterworks. Handsome books. The MSRP is $50, but with the sale I managed to get all three for $95, which was a few bucks less than what they would have run me at Amazon.

They’re also available in paperback, with the immortal Penguin Classics Library trade dress.

Looks like X-Men, FF and Avengers are up next, so I’ll probably continue the line as long as the quality remains the same.

B048CC7F-8C3E-4E88-9159-9C45EAD7354C.jpeg

071A1237-C25D-45E7-8B1D-967A41F65C6A.jpeg

50CFB136-8A5B-423C-95EE-E7A792CCBE79.jpeg

2F27AF80-0779-4E6E-B3FD-5994FE2B4FF9.jpeg

6B35CBEB-8662-4B0C-BC4D-9201B9B08600.jpeg

96857A8B-5D24-4EBE-BCCD-39E67B448C1B.jpeg

1F2AD22E-4A0C-4BA8-8C80-4BBF4A2B6F28.jpeg

0934DEC7-FA53-4215-90B3-0CD9D55D8B2C.jpeg

---

I saw these volumes for the first time in a bookstore a few weeks ago. They look great! Was looking to pick up the three hardcover editions at the right price. At the very least, the collected Black Panther comics from the Jungle Action run in hardcover would, for me, be the one to own (though an Omni Black Panther with these issues is due to be released soon).

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.1aafee70a1e670d6c83b5880dff88f4e.JPG

IMG_0574.thumb.JPG.12cf5d57a057e8b634da8a925682c06c.JPG

On 7/5/2022 at 10:02 PM, letsgrumble said:

---

I saw these volumes for the first time in a bookstore a few weeks ago. They look great! Was looking to pick up the three hardcover editions at the right price. At the very least, the collected Black Panther comics from the Jungle Action run in hardcover would, for me, be the one to own (though an Omni Black Panther with these issues is due to be released soon).

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.1aafee70a1e670d6c83b5880dff88f4e.JPG

IMG_0574.thumb.JPG.12cf5d57a057e8b634da8a925682c06c.JPG

Chapters?

On 7/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, letsgrumble said:

My friend Mr. Carlos at @GOTHAMCENTRAL had a terrific 10th anniversary sale at his store a few weeks ago. Great selection of omnis and trades!

IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.1e786136ebb9208ee2223120af41ee82.JPG 

IMG_0603.thumb.JPG.9c341a42aaafe69d8414fb83e95222ee.JPG

IMG_0602.thumb.JPG.0074b89b6afac8c319c968db529705fe.JPG

Wound up buying this one... for my son :cool:

IMG_0606.thumb.JPG.585e310d5c9b4bc6970635879f876b85.JPG

Wowza. A lot of people are looking for that TOD artist edition. Surprised they still have it.

Wow, Omar broke some big news yesterday: Marvel is going to reprint their Marvel Masterworks line, starting in 2023. They've announced the first 8 volumes, which are in the same order as the original 8 volumes. These will be new remasters, so it should be the best presentation of the material to date. 

What's VERY interesting to me is that they are apparently going to issue each book in both the now standard black/silver dress, as well as re-issue the "variant" covers (which originally were the only covers, before the line was rebooted, but I digress.)

Anyway, this will presumably affect values on original printings. Now, to be fair, the first 27 volumes are very common and not expensive, so even if they're releasing a volume each month (which looks to be the case) it's still going to be at least a couple of years before they start getting into the volumes which currently enjoy a high resale value. 

It's also not clear just how far they're going to continue the line, though common sense would dictate that they'll keep releasing new ones as long as they're selling well.

SO...yeah. Great news if you ever wanted to get in on the ground floor of this 30+ year reprint exercise, but if you're someone who is holding onto those harder to find volumes due to their value, you've got some food for thought. Personally, I'm looking forward to plugging in some big gaps in my collection, and am giving some thought to selling off some omnis in favor of the Masterworks, which are nicer books, and much easier to read.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:20 AM, F For Fake said:

Wow, Omar broke some big news yesterday: Marvel is going to reprint their Marvel Masterworks line, starting in 2023. They've announced the first 8 volumes, which are in the same order as the original 8 volumes. These will be new remasters, so it should be the best presentation of the material to date. 

What's VERY interesting to me is that they are apparently going to issue each book in both the now standard black/silver dress, as well as re-issue the "variant" covers (which originally were the only covers, before the line was rebooted, but I digress.)

Anyway, this will presumably affect values on original printings. Now, to be fair, the first 27 volumes are very common and not expensive, so even if they're releasing a volume each month (which looks to be the case) it's still going to be at least a couple of years before they start getting into the volumes which currently enjoy a high resale value. 

It's also not clear just how far they're going to continue the line, though common sense would dictate that they'll keep releasing new ones as long as they're selling well.

SO...yeah. Great news if you ever wanted to get in on the ground floor of this 30+ year reprint exercise, but if you're someone who is holding onto those harder to find volumes due to their value, you've got some food for thought. Personally, I'm looking forward to plugging in some big gaps in my collection, and am giving some thought to selling off some omnis in favor of the Masterworks, which are nicer books, and much easier to read.

Oh what to do, what to do.... I've got a lot of Omni's, and I have a fair few Masterworks, it's just that most are now irrelevant due to the Omni's having better reproduction and letters pages for the earlier stuff. Do I want to buy all this material again, some of it for at least the third time? It would be a more comfortable reading experience, that's for sure. 

On 7/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, Cat said:

Oh what to do, what to do.... I've got a lot of Omni's, and I have a fair few Masterworks, it's just that most are now irrelevant due to the Omni's having better reproduction and letters pages for the earlier stuff. Do I want to buy all this material again, some of it for at least the third time? It would be a more comfortable reading experience, that's for sure. 

That’s where I’m at, on the silver/bronze stuff. My collection is a mishmash of omnis and MMWs, so I’m tempted to start over again in a single format. But in some instances it would be many years until the MMWs are caught up to the current omnis. It’ll probably be a game day decision for me, every month

On 7/12/2022 at 9:56 AM, F For Fake said:

That’s where I’m at, on the silver/bronze stuff. My collection is a mishmash of omnis and MMWs, so I’m tempted to start over again in a single format. But in some instances it would be many years until the MMWs are caught up to the current omnis. It’ll probably be a game day decision for me, every month

Yeah I don't know what to do. I've got some early volumes, and I've got some mid-to-late volumes, but there's gaps filled by the omni's, plus the omni's have better newer reconstruction and their letter pages intact. Do I want to rebuy all that material in the same format again? Plus all the extra? 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, F For Fake said:

That's interesting news. I know I gave up on finding affordable copies of the first few Marvel Team-Up Masterworks. However, at this point what I'm really waiting for is a Marvel Team-Up Epic Collection. Heck, Marvel published an epic collection of Two-in-One before Team-up!

On 7/6/2022 at 10:08 PM, letsgrumble said:

My friend Mr. Carlos at @GOTHAMCENTRAL had a terrific 10th anniversary sale at his store a few weeks ago. Great selection of omnis and trades!

IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.1e786136ebb9208ee2223120af41ee82.JPG 

IMG_0603.thumb.JPG.9c341a42aaafe69d8414fb83e95222ee.JPG

IMG_0602.thumb.JPG.0074b89b6afac8c319c968db529705fe.JPG

Wound up buying this one... for my son :cool:

IMG_0606.thumb.JPG.585e310d5c9b4bc6970635879f876b85.JPG

I recently started going into @GOTHAMCENTRALand was there for the 10 year party.  They have some great inventory

Well I got the Jonathon Hickman X-men omnibus. This thing is really thin, and it's a mess trying to tie the story together. Unless you want to read EVERYTHING, I don't think there's a good way to casually follow this storyline at all and still get the essential stuff like anything Hickman writes. That's a shame. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:46 PM, Cat said:

Well I got the Jonathon Hickman X-men omnibus. This thing is really thin, and it's a mess trying to tie the story together. Unless you want to read EVERYTHING, I don't think there's a good way to casually follow this storyline at all and still get the essential stuff like anything Hickman writes. That's a shame. 

100%. At first I was doing a good job of keeping up with the Hickman era stuff via the monthly Dawn of X and Reign of X tpbs, but then I fell behind, and ultimately gave up. To get a better idea of the whole story, you really need the HoX/PoX oversize HC, the X-Men by Hickman Omni, the X of Swords OHC, the Hellfire Gala OHC, the Inferno HC…and even then you STILL won’t have all of the bits and pieces. It’s kind of crazy. There’s no easy, clear way to read the entire story without jumping around several formats. Kind of maddening.

On 7/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, Dave2739 said:

This is my DC Archive collection.

IMG_2801.jpg

Beauties, Dave! Love those books. I ended up selling most of them when it looked like they were going to collect most of that stuff in Omnis, but as time goes on, I'm wondering if that was a smart decision! I held onto my Plastic Man set, doesn't look like we're getting a reprint anytime soon, and I consider those essential books

They look so nice together, but why did DC have to do us like that with Legion Vol 6? Drives me up a wall!

On 7/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, F For Fake said:

Beauties, Dave! Love those books. I ended up selling most of them when it looked like they were going to collect most of that stuff in Omnis, but as time goes on, I'm wondering if that was a smart decision! I held onto my Plastic Man set, doesn't look like we're getting a reprint anytime soon, and I consider those essential books

They look so nice together, but why did DC have to do us like that with Legion Vol 6? Drives me up a wall!

The Legion Vol. 6 has bugged me for years, however I just recently discovered that DC corrected it after the first print, which is what I have. My OCD is bad enough that I'm pretty sure I'll buy a second print just for the dustjacket.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, Dave2739 said:

The Legion Vol. 6 has bugged me for years, however I just recently discovered that DC corrected it after the first print, which is what I have. My OCD is bad enough that I'm pretty sure I'll buy a second print just for the dustjacket.

I totally, 100% understand.