• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,496 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 5:13 AM, BCoffee said:

I recommend it. I liked the Society of Superheroes, and knew that I would with Morrison writing and Sprouse drawing. I also really enjoyed The Just by Morrison and Ben Oliver. I was pleasantly surprised by that one. Pax Americana by Morrison and Quitely is obviously a must-read. 
the story is a pretty good continuation from some of the aspects of Final Crisis, particularly the Final Crisis: Superman Beyond issues. A lot of these characters were first seen in those 2 issues. 

You've sold me with Chris Sprouse art alone. 

On 4/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, Dave2739 said:

Picked up the new printings recently of X-Men Omni Vol 1 and 2 along with Mighty Thor Vol 1. No pics because they have that terrible tiny font on the spine so they look like carp on the shelves with my other omnibi.

I really, really hate the new spines, and the new paper is pretty terrible too. I wish the new editions were driving down prices on the OOP volumes, because really, I'd rather have to older printings with the better paper and uniform spines. I know that newer volumes often have newer/better restorations (not always, but often, if a new MMW has been released), but I'm not sure if the new restoration matters much if the pages are like toilet paper. It's a real toss up these days. Happy to have these volumes back in print, and the price is hard to beat, but I wish the quality was much better. Oh well, can't have it all, I guess.

I can't believe this thing is finally here. I backed this Kickstarter nearly a year ago. I know it was stuck on a boat along with millions of other items, and am just relieved that it finally safely arrived.

God Hates Astronauts is one of my favorite modern titles, and this Omni-Mega-Bus is a welcome addition to the library. I sprung for some bells and whistles, and got the black-bagged "Death of Star Grass Man" edition, which came with a Superman 75 style black bag, personalized toe tag, armband, fold out poster, signed sketch card, mini prints, Death Certificate, etc. It's pretty wild, all of the little bits and pieces crammed in here.

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

On 4/14/2022 at 9:06 AM, F For Fake said:

I can't believe this thing is finally here. I backed this Kickstarter nearly a year ago. I know it was stuck on a boat along with millions of other items, and am just relieved that it finally safely arrived.

God Hates Astronauts is one of my favorite modern titles, and this Omni-Mega-Bus is a welcome addition to the library. I sprung for some bells and whistles, and got the black-bagged "Death of Star Grass Man" edition, which came with a Superman 75 style black bag, personalized toe tag, armband, fold out poster, signed sketch card, mini prints, Death Certificate, etc. It's pretty wild, all of the little bits and pieces crammed in here.

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

I feel like Jurassic Park Spared no expense :x Cool :) 

My LCS recently bought a massive collection that's starting to trickle into the store. I noticed a bunch of newer G.I. Joe TPBs, so I asked if they had any  of the TPBs reprinting the original Marvel series. Sure enough, they had some in the back that they hadn't put out for sale yet. Never hurts to ask. 5 down, 10 more to go to get the full set.

20220413_175926.thumb.jpg.4adcc17cac827f9b250deb06bfd84da7.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 11:47 PM, srezvan said:

My LCS recently bought a massive collection that's starting to trickle into the store. I noticed a bunch of newer G.I. Joe TPBs, so I asked if they had any  of the TPBs reprinting the original Marvel series. Sure enough, they had some in the back that they hadn't put out for sale yet. Never hurts to ask. 5 down, 10 more to go to get the full set.

20220413_175926.thumb.jpg.4adcc17cac827f9b250deb06bfd84da7.jpg

Where are you located? If you're in Australia, I've got some volumes I'm looking to sell. 

Continuing my IDW Turtles read on Wednesday volumes 5 and 6 of the Complete Collections arrived. Volume 7 should be here early next week. I've got to slow down my reading, the periods waiting for the new volumes to arrive is killing me. 

On 4/15/2022 at 7:00 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Where are you located? If you're in Australia, I've got some volumes I'm looking to sell. 

Continuing my IDW Turtles read on Wednesday volumes 5 and 6 of the Complete Collections arrived. Volume 7 should be here early next week. I've got to slow down my reading, the periods waiting for the new volumes to arrive is killing me. 

I'm in the US.

When going through the Previews, I almost always see there is a regular or DM only cover, at least with Marvel Omni's...I usually go with the one I like the best but is there any difference or even pitential difference in terms of "collectability" or "future value"?

On 4/15/2022 at 11:20 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

When going through the Previews, I almost always see there is a regular or DM only cover, at least with Marvel Omni's...I usually go with the one I like the best but is there any difference or even pitential difference in terms of "collectability" or "future value"?

I’m curious too. I think the bigger factor is whether or not it’s out of print.

I hope they reprint TOD2…

On 4/15/2022 at 1:20 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

In theory the Direct Market cover should be more collectible, as it is only distributed to comic retailers, and not the big retailers like Amazon/Target/etc. This SHOULD make it marginally harder to find, and therefore more desireable.

However, DM covers aren't really any harder to find, at least initially, especially now that supply chain is starting to even out. At the end of the day, the more valuable cover tends to be the "better" cover. Now, this is, of course, totally subjective, but over time, collectors as a whole tend to settle on a preferred cover. This is especially true now that Marvel is sometimes publishing THREE covers for their omnis, one standard, and two DM. It really is all about personal preference.

So, the final answer is "maybe, but not really, but sorta." Sorry that's not helpful! I'd advise you to just go with whatever cover you think is cooler. Chances are other collectors will as well, and that will be the more desirable cover. As for me, I prefer the original artwork covers when it's available. So, like with the Silver Age Marvel omnis, I always want the Kirby or the Ditko. I don't want Alex Ross or whatever. Just a personal preference. Oddly, with the reprints, the direct market variants have tended to be the original cover art. 

Just saw Abram's Books is releasing a hardcover in July with all of 1992's Jim Lee trading cards in it. For only $25USD I'm so down for that. I love those cards, so to have them in hopefully higher res would be amazing. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:05 AM, Poekaymon said:

I just got these two as well, despite having zero interest in FF and owning zero FF comics.  The reviews were just too glowing.  We'll see.

Everyone please do post back any reviews on FF hickman. I too saw the glowing reviews, and before the reprint these were selling for $$$$ on ebay. Not a huge fan of moderns, but this set sounds very desirable.

I remember seeing the colossal Conan runs in a local bookstore and passing (to my regret).

I finally had the willpower to resist xmen and thor 1 reprinted omnis, since 1) I already have everything on Masterworks and digital 2) These items are taking over the house spacewise. At the point where artist editions have to sit stacked on the floor.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 4/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, Poekaymon said:

I just got these two as well, despite having zero interest in FF and owning zero FF comics.  The reviews were just too glowing.  We'll see.

I love the Kirby and Lee FF, but really have no interest in the title beyond that. (I know, I know, a lot of folks love the John Byrne run. I'm not a Byrne guy.)

I'm excited to read these. If it's anything like his Avengers and X-Men material, it should be great. Hickman seems to really excel at world building, creating these huge, intricate stories, and this is apparently the title that kicked it all off, so I'm eager to see how it reads. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I get to it.