• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 1:54 PM, Gatsby77 said:

But absolutely - BvS (theatrical) was garbage.

And the market bore that out:

• A record 69+% drop-off from first to second weekend (indicates negative word-of-mouth).
  • Legs so bad its final domestic total was less than 2x its opening weekend alone.
  • B Cinemascore.

If it were good, or (ahem!) liked by American audiences, it would have held better. Full stop.

BVS theatrical along with BVS UE went over so strongly financially even though WB Studios cut down the theatrical cut, even when Walmart launched its first-ever 'pre-bluray digital campaign' within the two weeks it made an additional $13M on top of the Domestic Home Theater release.

BVS_Walmart.JPG.adee7f84dd33c049d567e404c0676717.JPG

That digital market is not accounted for in the Deadline model because only the studio and its distribution partners have access to the content. And even the newly released BVS 4K Remastered isn't accounted for because so much of the sales were digital release.

BVS_WW.JPG.443e64d12479b1f1cba419b760fc7202.JPG

On 11/21/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, MCU Phase 4 thus far...

MCU_Phase4.thumb.JPG.b4d8d63fb2b51aef41b179eac04cdd7a.JPG

Come December I think Spider-Man is going to explode these numbers to new heights!

:banana:

I agree, Spider-Man is going to make everything else in 2021 look small.  I think the now legacy MCU characters are going to continue to drive the MCU. Having Dr Strange in this that will then tie into his next movie, will drive numbers up. Too bad this is likely the last outing of this version of Spider-Man.  Plus, it is almost more of a Sony film then a Disney film. I think it is just going to illustrate that transitioning from the older characters to the newer ones is going to be difficult. Old will continue to pull people in, who knows on the new at this point.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-huh. Meanwhile, best prediction you ever made - with confidence! Including even before that how incels and juggalos were the audience focus. :facepalm:

Joker_WW.JPG.777fd07149b51059642a6c81c5680910.JPG

Yeah.  You do need to go back over 2 years to find something Warner had to crow about, don't you?  :eyeroll:

1)"Joker" is expressly NOT part of the DCEU.

2) After the abominations that were Turds of Prey, WW84 and suicide squad, Warner is no longer playing even with the house money that Joker likely afforded them at their flop-making factory.  

3) Care to revisit your predictions about the first Venom?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Yeah.  You do need to go back over 2 years to find something Warner had to crow about, don't you?  :eyeroll:

2) After the abominations that were Turds of Prey, WW84 and suicide squad, Warner is no longer playing even with the house money that Joker likely afforded them at their flop-making factory.  

-J.

WarnerMedia with the hybrid schedule blew off releasing Zack Snyder's Justice League.. Could have been easy money for them.

Meanwhile, am I the one constantly bashing on certain studios blindly and then looking crazy in the end? You still think Aquaman didn't make money. That's nuts!

Aquaman_BO.JPG.7ce940663d36e398758c54f83b1e01df.JPG

And then to assume Sony's Into The Spider-Verse was trash and it wins an Oscar for best animated film?

crazy.gif.4a594c65445ad4122fb2d8ec4924ee78.gif

-B.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

WarnerMedia with the hybrid schedule blew off releasing Zack Snyder's Justice League.. Could have been easy money for them.

Meanwhile, am I one constantly bashing on certain studios blindly and then looking crazy in the end? You still think Aquaman didn't make money. That's nuts!

Aquaman_BO.JPG.7ce940663d36e398758c54f83b1e01df.JPG

And then to assume Sony's Into The Spider-Verse was trash and it wins an Oscar for best animated film?

crazy.gif.4a594c65445ad4122fb2d8ec4924ee78.gif

-B.

Um.  I never said aquaman didn't make money.  :facepalm:

Going back 3+ years now to find something positive to say about Warner movies ?

Sounds about right. 

Also, nobody actually cares about "oscar winning" cartoons, (or the Oscar's in general at this point) and I never said spider-verse was "garbage" either.  

(I did maybe say it's theatrical gross was garbage however, which it was.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Um.  I never said aquaman didn't make money.  :facepalm:

Going back 3+ years now to find something positive to say about Warner movies ?

Sounds about right. 

Also, nobody actually cares about "oscar winning" cartoons, and and never said spider-verse was "garbage" either.  

(I did maybe say it's theatrical gross was garbage however, which it was.)

-J.

Quit stuttering

:baiting:

You did. You noted how Sony couldn't pull off a solid movie and how it failed at the box office. Yet it led to a sequel in development with a release of 2022.

Keep trying.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Quit stuttering

:baiting:

You did. You noted how Sony couldn't pull off a solid movie and how it failed at the box office. Yet it led to a sequel in development with a release of 2022.

Keep trying.

Dude seriously I never said any of that (except that it's theatrical box office was garbage, which it was).

I did say that hell would have to freeze over for Warner to actually make another Shazam movie.  

But that was before they foolishly rushed through a sequel to suicide squad, so now the capacity of Warner to squander money on certain failure no longer comes as a surprise to me.   (thumbsu

-J.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Dude seriously I never said any of that (except that it's theatrical box office was garbage, which it was).

I did say that hell would have to freeze over for Warner to actually make another Shazam movie.  

But that was before they foolishly rushed through a sequel to suicide squad, so now the capacity of Warner to squander money on certain failure no longer comes as a surprise to me.   (thumbsu

-J.

First you implying I was saying something bad about Venom out of the blue, when Gatsby was doing Gatsby things - harping on history as yet another 'I'm always right". Which is why I addressed the BVS statements. Or did you miss that?

Then you jumped in to make some point. But it is more of the same. WE ALL KNOW WB STUDIOS IS DROPPING THE MOVIE BALL in 2019-2021. Do you see me defending WW84, The Suicide Squad, or even BOP? You are just beating the same drum as if you know something.

Meanwhile, for all its mess-ups WarnerMedia is releasing solid shows to fill the void. And quite a few of them.

• Doom Patrol
  • Harley Quinn TAS
  • HBO's Watchmen
  • Lucifer
  • Pennyworth
  • Sandman (pending)
  • Stargirl
  • Superman & Lois
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Titans
  • Young Justice

And on the way for movies (though WB Studios feels like it has no real grand plan still - even if it is the DC Multiverse):

• Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
  • Batgirl
  • The Batman
  • Black Adam
  • Blue Beetle
  • The Flash
  • Shazam: Fury of the Gods
  • Wonder Woman 3
  • Zatanna

So what your point is, Lord knows other than stating what we all know. What else ya got?

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Oh wow...

I forgot Birds of Prey even existed.

I watched it via HBO Max and basically forgot about it by the next day - it made about as much impact as New Mutants.

Best thing I can say about it?

Mary Elizabeth Winstead looked insanely hot - and Ewen McGregor got the joke - and hammed it up accordingly.

Worst thing?

The 2002 TV series was better (seriously).

On 11/21/2021 at 4:07 PM, Bosco685 said:

First you implying I was saying something bad about Venom out of the blue, when Gatsby was doing Gatsby things - harping on history as yet another 'I'm always right". Which is why I addressed the BVS statements. Or did you miss that?

Then you jumped in to make some point. But it is more of the same. WE ALL KNOW WB STUDIOS IS DROPPING THE MOVIE BALL in 2019-2021. Do you see me defending WW84, The Suicide Squad, or even BOP? You are just beating the same drum as if you know something.

Meanwhile, for all its mess-ups WarnerMedia is releasing solid shows to fill the void. And quite a few of them.

• Doom Patrol
  • Harley Quinn TAS
  • HBO's Watchmen
  • Lucifer
  • Pennyworth
  • Sandman (pending)
  • Stargirl
  • Superman & Lois
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Titans
  • Young Justice

And on the way for movies (though WB Studios feels like it has no real grand plan still - even if it is the DC Multiverse):

• Batgirl
  • The Batman
  • Black Adam
  • Blue Beetle
  • The Flash
  • Wonder Woman 3
  • Zatanna

So what your point is, Lord knows other than stating what we all know. What else ya got?

Where did you address my BvS statements (at least from today)?

I only saw that you responded with a defense of Joker.

Oh - and re. your above list of forthcoming projects - if history is any guide, 2 of them will be cancelled.

'Cause that's how Warner Bros. do.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:19 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Where did you address my BvS statements (at least from today)?

I only saw that you responded with a defense of Joker.

Oh - and re. your above list of forthcoming projects - if history is any guide, 2 of them will be cancelled.

'Cause that's how Warner Bros. do.

Time will tell.

Meanwhile, read above about BVS. As if audiences turned on it so hard why so many Home Domestic Theater sales? For people to look at the case.

:nyah:

On 11/21/2021 at 1:07 PM, Bosco685 said:

• Doom Patrol
  • Harley Quinn TAS
  • HBO's Watchmen
  • Lucifer
  • Pennyworth
  • Sandman (pending)
  • Stargirl
  • Superman & Lois
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Titans
  • Young Justice

• Batgirl
  • The Batman
  • Black Adam
  • Blue Beetle
  • The Flash
  • Wonder Woman 3
  • Zatanna

I will say that at least Disney is able to pull 375MM+ out of their overpriced turds.  (thumbsu

-J.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I will say that at least Disney is able to pull 375MM+ out of their overpriced turds.  (thumbsu

-J.

Oh, agreed. Feige has stayed the course and it has paid off.

WB Studios had/has no confident leadership which even Joker proved when it came out they divided up funding with two other partners. Yet if someone that got comic book movies and the general audience with these films were around, they would have done the 'Feige' thing and hung in there. Because even with drastic mishandling, when comparing the first 6 films from both studios, WB/DC was the stronger play financially.

First_6a.thumb.PNG.1f72c3cca0e450cd5a1c66c6effea9e2.PNG

First_6b.thumb.PNG.c45c02a9c1bacda857e156d8943b19b7.PNG

It wasn't until Joss Whedon (now noted as a horrible individual) that the MCU had a consistent story and character model leading to everything landing strongly. Before then, not so much. To include a film failure and a film barely breaking event.

WB Studios is a horrible parent company with its own properties!

On 11/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh, agreed. Feige has stayed the course and it has paid off.

WB Studios had/has no confident leadership which even Joker proved when it came out they divided up funding with two other partners. Yet if someone that got comic book movies and the general audience with these films were around, they would have done the 'Feige' thing and hung in there. Because even with drastic mishandling, when comparing the first 6 films from both studios, WB/DC was the stronger play financially.

First_6a.thumb.PNG.1f72c3cca0e450cd5a1c66c6effea9e2.PNG

First_6b.thumb.PNG.c45c02a9c1bacda857e156d8943b19b7.PNG

It wasn't until Joss Whedon (now noted as a horrible individual) that the MCU had a consistent story and character model leading to everything landing strongly. Before then, not so much. To include a film failure and a film barely breaking event.

WB Studios is a horrible parent company with its own properties!

Agreed.  

-J.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, MCU Phase 4 thus far...

MCU_Phase4.thumb.JPG.b4d8d63fb2b51aef41b179eac04cdd7a.JPG

Come December I think Spider-Man is going to explode these numbers to new height

Is Spider-Man MCU or Sony? I would consider it Sony, just like Venom, which would mean the top 2 comic book movie releases of 2021 would be Sony..........

Edited by kimik

On 11/23/2021 at 12:10 PM, kimik said:

Is Spider-Man MCU or Sony? I would consider it Sony, just like Venom, which would mean the top 2 comic book movie releases of 2021 would be Sony..........

Spider-Man rides the border of being an MCU linked character with the last two films produced by Marvel Studios but distributed by Sony.