• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 3:19 AM, Professor K said:

That's interesting. I never bought a raw book from them. I didn't really find Heritage until around 2010. But I think there must have been some great deals to be had in the old days on Heritage with raw books. Someone recently posted a pic of a  raw Weird Mystery 4 they won in 2006 for 89.00. In a 7.0 slab now and worth 30,000. 

Would you happen to be referring to a "fire sale dump" of 18 copies of this water stained book that still somehow managed to fetched some $418.25 back in 2009:  :jawdrop:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Chamber of Chills #19 - Multiple File Copy Group (Harvey, 1953) Condition: Average GD/VG.... (Total: 18 Comic Books)

Especially now that even CGC 2.5 graded copies of this book have been fetching 5-figures which means the winner must be  :banana:  :whee:

On 3/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Would you happen to be referring to a "fire sale dump" of 18 copies of this water stained book that still somehow managed to fetched some $418.25 back in 2009:  :jawdrop:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Chamber of Chills #19 - Multiple File Copy Group (Harvey, 1953) Condition: Average GD/VG.... (Total: 18 Comic Books)

Especially now that even CGC 2.5 graded copies of this book have been fetching 5-figures which means the winner must be  :banana:  :whee:

Sounds like in excess of a quarter of a million.

I guess in NOT being a pre-code horror collector myself, I've never quite understood the recent seemingly FOMO driven drive to pay ridiculous money for copies of this book here.  hm

Especially since this book is not scarce in any sense of the word, and some have even speculated might have been involved as part of a warehouse find.  Looks like there's already 118 of them slabbed in Universal unrestored condition, with 8 of these in CGC 9.0 and above.  (shrug)

On 3/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, lou_fine said:

No but that is a good example I guess. 15 years back it seems there was a goldmine to be had on some raw books on Heritage. Who knew at the time I suppose. I sure didn't.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, batman_fan said:

Small sample of low grade stuff you find on LiveAuctioneers

5CF8DEBF-57B3-4146-85D1-EB4F6162A11E.jpeg

Yep they're everywhere. 20.00 books in 50.00 holders. Lotta money in that there plastic. 

On 3/19/2023 at 11:27 PM, lou_fine said:

and at times Heritage is just the absolute WORST place and WORST auction platform to sell your GA goodies.  Sometimes Heritage is just an absolute crapshoot. (:  lol

A drop from $3,960 all the way down to only $360 or a beatdown of over 90% in just 5 short months for the EXACT SAME copy.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

On 3/20/2023 at 6:03 AM, tth2 said:

I don't think this sale says anything about Heritage.  It's the $3,960 price that was the outlier, not this $360 price.  The consignor simply paid way too much for the book in the first place and was always going to lose their shirt.  So much so that it's not a case of winning a Promise book at a nosebleed price and losing money because of selling too quickly.  I'm not sure the consignor would ever recoup that $3,960 price even if they waited 30 years.

Totally and absolutely agree with you 110% on your point here.  (thumbsu

I was doing nothing but just making light of some posts from the weekend stating that CC was a terrible auction house to sell your GA books unless you wanted to sell them at a discount.  Hence, just cobbling together some posts from other boardies here who made the exact same comments after they saw that CC had auctioned off a CGC 6.5 graded copy of Marvel Family 1 for just a paltry $9,750 in last week's Event Auction:  :gossip:

On 3/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Marvel Family #1 in a 6.5 sold for $9750 on Comic Connect tonight.  Same book sold for $9010 in Aug 2020. Since 2020 there have been sales of 6.0 for $36K, a 5.0 for $17K, a 4.5 for $20k, and a 4.0 for $10K. Last sale was a 2.5 that sold for $6500 in January.  :jawdrop:

Of course in that list of FOMO driven overblown Black Adam movie related hype that the speculators fell victim to again, looks like a couple of transactions were missed that I included in my post below:  (thumbsu

On 3/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, lou_fine said:

As for a former long stone cold dead book like Marvel Family 1 with a snorefest zzz of a cover, I think it really has less to do about the auction house and so much more to do with speculators speculating on what other books speculators might be speculating on :facepalm:  when it comes to overblown movie related hype.  From my POV, it looks like the typical historical pricing pattern with these books after the movie has come out, and no doubt exacerbated by the fact that the studio and the Rock (albeit against his will) have pretty much nailed the coffin shut on the entire Black Adam franchise, at least for now.  hm

Clearly evident by the fact that although CC was able to auctioned off a CGC 1.8 graded Restored PLOD copy of Marvel Family 1 for over $5K last summer, Heritage was only able to fetch $2,880 for their 2.0 graded unrestored copy back in January of 2023.  :(

All I can say is that from the GA lots which I was looking at from their CC Event Auction last week, I believe the consignors of those books should be super happy with the results that they got from CC.  Especially since they looked pretty much like what they would have received by consigning with Heritage, but at a substantially lower auction commission fees cost.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, lou_fine said:

posts from the weekend stating that CC was a terrible auction house to sell your GA books unless you wanted to sell them at a discount

I wouldn't say that about CC.  Comiclink, on the other hand ... 

On 3/20/2023 at 1:08 AM, comicnoir said:

How do you know you paid a horrific price for a comic book?  When you pay $3960 for it, sell it for $360, and that person probably paid too much for it.  I'm curious if the $360 buyer will get his money back on that deal if he were to sell it.  Yikes.

Edited by Telegan

On 3/20/2023 at 9:35 PM, tth2 said:
On 3/20/2023 at 4:12 PM, lou_fine said:

posts from the weekend stating that CC was a terrible auction house to sell your GA books unless you wanted to sell them at a discount

I wouldn't say that about CC.  Comiclink, on the other hand ... 

Yes, ComicLink on the other hand.................as I've said here many times on the boards before:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

If I have the highest graded copy of a BA or a CA book in my hot little hands, I would be running to bang down the doors of CL as fast as my liitle feet could take me.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, lou_fine said:

I was never a collector of horror books but occasionally I would pick one up if the cover was especially clever or striking.  This one qualifies. 

The only time I bid seriously on a piece of horror comic art was for a prelim of this cover, which I considered superior to the final.  Bidding went above what I expected so I dropped out just shy of the winning bid, only to decide later the final bid was below its relative value. 

On 3/21/2023 at 1:14 AM, Telegan said:

How do you know you paid a horrific price for a comic book?  When you pay $3960 for it, sell it for $360, and that person probably paid too much for it.  I'm curious if the $360 buyer will get his money back on that deal if he were to sell it.  Yikes.

That hurts. Hopefully bought back by the original seller with a fraction of the profits. 

On 3/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, Chicago Boy said:
On 3/22/2023 at 3:28 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Bats 1 will destroy MC 1

Wo!  That's high praise!

I think so too.  The one thing I don't like about the MC 1 is the off-color registration. 

On 3/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think so too.  The one thing I don't like about the MC 1 is the off-color registration. 

It's so bad on this copy, but surprisingly doesn't detract as much from the appeal as it could on another book.  

On 3/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, buttock said:
On 3/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, Dark Knight said:

It's so bad on this copy, but surprisingly doesn't detract as much from the appeal as it could on another book.  

Yeah, it ain't too bad but if I was gonna pay 6 or more figures for a book, eye appeal has to be at the very top for me regardless of grade.  I think there is a Cap 1 with the off color registration that looks horrendous!!!  I believe it was graded in a green label as a result?  

On 3/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, batman_fan said:

I may be the contrarian here but I thought the Crime Suspenstories 22 ended lower than I would expect.  I would say it is the definitive PCH cover book.  Absolutely beyond gruesome in its image.  This copy is from the premiere pedigree collection and looks amazing.

Knowing how many women have been murdered by their husbands is why I would never want a copy of that particular book. I'm fine with gruesome imagery that's fantasy-based, but I collect comics for enjoyment, and I don't derive any pleasure from viewing depictions of domestic violence.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Knowing how many women have been murdered by their husbands is why I would never want a copy of that particular book. I'm fine with gruesome imagery that's fantasy-based, but I collect comics for enjoyment, and I don't derive any pleasure from viewing depictions of domestic violence.

Can you say the same thing about any comic that depicts violence or is man on man violence okay?

On 3/24/2023 at 5:46 AM, batman_fan said:

Can you say the same thing about any comic that depicts violence or is man on man violence okay?

Just about all comics even funny animal books feature some degree of violence. Real violence in real life is unacceptable but violence in comic books has always been tolerated. Man, has always been a violent animal since the dawn of time.