• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,215 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2021 at 11:35 PM, DPV said:

I think you're right.  And what a beauty that is!  Checks all the boxes, really is as good as it gets.  That is literally my favorite comic, can't beat it.

What do we think the CGC 9.4 #1 on Comic Connect starting in a few days will go for?  It has the same sigs on the interior.  It's been a while since a 9.4 sold as far as I can tell.  I think 50k+ given the 9.6 with sigs at 88.  But who knows.  Maybe closer to 40 if the sigs don't mean as much.   

I guess the sigs mattered!  58.5k is by far a record for a 9.4.  And shows that the 88k for the 9.6 WP sigs on inside in April wasn't a fluke.  The next time a 9.8 goes to auction it's going to be quite a show.  Especially if it has sigs on the inside like these.

Same auction there were some other interesting data points:

TMNT #1 6.5 - $12,700

TMNT #1 7.5 - $16,100

TMNT #3 NYCC Variant 9.6 WP - $8,400 - Sigs on inside.  This went higher than the 9.6 SS #3 Variant from Kevin Eastman's Collection recently on Comic Link for $5,532.  There's definitely evidence over the last 6 months that sigs on the inside by the creators add a premium.

2 hours ago, DPV said:

I guess the sigs mattered!  58.5k is by far a record for a 9.4.  And shows that the 88k for the 9.6 WP sigs on inside in April wasn't a fluke.  The next time a 9.8 goes to auction it's going to be quite a show.  Especially if it has sigs on the inside like these.

I paid more for no sigs or blue label notes.

(And no, sigs do not "add" $20k in value to anything meh.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 6/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, DPV said:

Sigs or not - 🎩 off on your guesstimate! 🏆

I totally forgot about this one on the block. I didn’t tag/mark (auctions are so damnn long) and spaced it. 

Edited by Icculus308win

True story!  I did underestimate...

1 hour ago, Icculus308win said:

Sigs or not - 🎩 off on your guesstimate! 🏆
I totally forgot about this one on the block. I didn’t tag/mark (auctions are so damnn long) and spaced it. 

But so did you my friend :)

On 5/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, Icculus308win said:

I’ll take the easy road :foryou: 
Split the diff with you - $45K   

what is this?

Ebay 2nd print (counterfeit?)

You are buying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 2nd Print. This comic is a reprint of the 2nd print. I don’t know much about this comic. I have been collecting comics for 20 years and I decided to start selling my collection. (I am not a professional grader.) 

huh??? sounds ambiguous and deceitful

Edited by pubmonkey

On 6/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, pubmonkey said:

what is this?

Ebay 2nd print (counterfeit?)

huh??? sounds ambiguous and deceitful

Over $400 now. I'd love to see the look on the buyer's face when they spend stupid money on this comic, open the package, and find an ashcan sized comic inside.

Yeah, if they know anything about TMNT comics they're gonna be pissed when they get it in hand.  I've seen that version posted more than a few times now as a second print.  I feel like it's going to keep happening.  CGC calls it the "Insight editions" (2018) if anybody wants to look it up in the census.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, Ryan. said:

Over $400 now. I'd love to see the look on the buyer's face when they spend stupid money on this comic, open the package, and find an ashcan sized comic inside.

There are 2 sayings that work here:

"If it's too good to be true it probably is" and "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Just snagged a 9.2 4th print off eBay on a best offer. Probably the closest I'll ever get to a true #1; but I think I did ok price-wise. Just have to keep an eye out for 2-4 and I'll have the run of the first 10 - I think 2-4 first print aren't out of reach yet for my budget, but even a #1 3rd print was getting spendy for me...

17 minutes ago, BeardedBubba said:

Over $900 now.  Too bad there's no way to contact the bidders to let them know.  Someone's gonna be super pissed off.  

Looks like the seller added an update at least:

On Jun-30-21 at 21:47:20 PDT, seller added the following information:

To let everyone know that this comic is a reprint. Not an original 2nd print.

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Looks like the seller added an update at least:

On Jun-30-21 at 21:47:20 PDT, seller added the following information:

To let everyone know that this comic is a reprint. Not an original 2nd print.

Just goes to show how many knuckleheads on eBay don't read descriptions.  There's been a lot of bids since that update.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:59 AM, pubmonkey said:

Just to add a note in regards to the #3 variant... I would say it's safe to assume most of the interior signatures were done at the NYCC in 1985. It would be hard to pinpoint any other issue getting signed at a particular event. 

Many thanks for posting this. My NYC variant is signed by both KE/PL and was wondering if this would be the case