• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 3:05 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 1/10/2022 at 3:01 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess it really depends on the books that you have in your Heritage watchlist.  (shrug)

I somehow get the feeling that the 2 consignors of the CGC 9.8 graded copies of GSXM 1 are not sitting too happy right now with their books sitting at only bids of $18K and $19.5K respectively:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/giant-size-x-men-1-marvel-1975-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-91040.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Giant-Size X-Men #1 (Marvel, 1975) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Especially even with Heritage hyping in their listing description the fact that they had sold an equivalent graded copy fof this book or over $70K back in the summer.  Not surprising though that they did not bothered to mention the fact that subsequent equivalent CGC 9.8 graded copies of this book have sold on a declining trend line of $66K, $49.2K, $43.2K, and then just for $38.4K on their own auction platform since that record $72K sale.  :devil:

“The slickest way in the world to lie is to tell the right amount of truth at the right time-and then shut up.”
Robert A. Heinlein

1*oh_0nz78kReTPH4xH6Th3g.gif.948f87ca794c5f19bb2ff369c364a0d6.gif

On 1/10/2022 at 1:01 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess it really depends on the books that you have in your Heritage watchlist.  (shrug)

I somehow get the feeling that the 2 consignors of the CGC 9.8 graded copies of GSXM 1 are not sitting too happy right now with their books sitting at only bids of $18K and $19.5K respectively:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/giant-size-x-men-1-marvel-1975-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-91040.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Giant-Size X-Men #1 (Marvel, 1975) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Especially even with Heritage hyping in their listing description the fact that they had sold an equivalent graded copy fof this book or over $70K back in the summer.  Not surprising though that they did not bothered to mention the fact that subsequent equivalent CGC 9.8 graded copies of this book have sold on a declining trend line of $66K, $49.2K, $43.2K, and then just for $38.4K on their own auction platform since that record $72K sale.  :devil:

9.8 books from before copper age do seem to be alot more volatile than all other grades. i've never pursued them. plus they're ridiculously pricey. 

and i admit that ever since GSX1 exploded in value last year, i stopped paying attention. it certainly seems inevitable that on a book like that, which, in 9.4, 9.0, and most other grades, at least tripled in value from 2020 to mid 2021, a pullback was inevitable. 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, lou_fine said:

Wouldn't this pretty much account for the majority of the MA books from the past 20 years that have been sent into CGC for grading and also pretty much their bread and butter as they need submittors to continue sending in worthless books for grading in order for their business model to work.  hm

The answer is no. There are quite a few books over the last 20 years that are worth grading.

Reduce your timeframe to 1 year and exclude variants… you still have a lot of books that are worth grading.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, eddly said:

Yup, I figured. Mainly pointing out books that shouldn’t have been slabbed.

Time will tell. When DIS starts getting around to HR on D+ and the big screen, those will be bargain basement prices.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, alexgross.com said:

glad it's not only me that's seeing very strong prices on everything on my heritage watchlist. so much fretting here that the sky is falling and prices are cratering. many big time SA books appear to be doing very well right now, which is even more remarkable given the time of year and panicky stock market/ mainstream media.

Agreed. A lot of SA titles have continued to rise up during the usual down time for the market between end of November through February. Especially on common run filling issues.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, alexgross.com said:

glad it's not only me that's seeing very strong prices on everything on my heritage watchlist. so much fretting here that the sky is falling and prices are cratering. many big time SA books appear to be doing very well right now, which is even more remarkable given the time of year and panicky stock market/ mainstream media.

From what i noticed the conversation here on dropping prices was focused on HIGH population Modern, Copper and to some extent Bronze. I've not seem much digital ink in posts here mentioning Silver or Gold especially low pop higher grade books.

The older the book and the higher the grade generally means the more insulated from taking more than small hits.   As for Heritage I take their auctions with a grain of salt anyhow due to manipulation, shilling, potted plants, and in most jurisdictions (but not their home state) what is considered fraud.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, MAR1979 said:

As for Heritage I take their auctions with a grain of salt anyhow due to manipulation, shilling, potted plants, and in most jurisdictions (but not their home state) what is considered fraud.

+1. strongly agree with this.  i too take heritage results with great suspicion. comiclink also has lately netted huge prices for key and semi-key SA stuff, but that could also mean they are just doing the same stuff as HA. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:36 AM, William-James88 said:

I will way this though, ASM 361 has eased BIG TIME

Buh, Buh, Buh, how can that be ? When ASM361 was selling for $900-1000 sellers on this forum stated it was on an upward trajectory with no end in sight.  At NYCC there was at least 1 table that 50% of their wall was ASM 361. I saw another booth with fancy black table cloths and mood lighting that was asking 2k for Direct Sale ASM 361 and I personally witnessed 1 rube purchase one. Keep in mind at the time on eBay they were $950

Those who are seeing that book drop and taking heavy percentage losses may exit the hobby. Which overall will be good for the rest of us.

My Rule 2 for collecting "never buy a book when its red hot". My number 3 is never, ever believe any seller's hyperbole on anything they are seeking to sell

My regret is I spent $20 to have one of mine graded. Yeah it was 9.8 but I don't sell comics and would have got much more enjoyment for the $20 using it on a something like an average lunch.

Edited by MAR1979

From what i noticed the conversation here on dropping prices was focused on HIGH population Modern, Copper and to some extent Bronze. I've not seem much digital ink in posts here mentioning Silver or Gold especially low pop higher grade books.

i beleive you on this too. i just tend to feel that whenever prices start to decrease on anything, even after MASSIVE runups like we saw on everything in 2020, the doomsayers all come out here on the boards. and then the newbies come in asking how bad it is going to get, as if the doomsayers are the experts. 

On 1/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, alexgross.com said:

I don't really see it as people saying the sky is falling. What I notice more is tapping on the back for not giving into hype and just being smart no matter what the market does. Some silver is till very strong, yes. I was looking to get a first Sinestro but that book is climbing now more than i'm comfortable with. There are some books that are losing highs though, like Daredevil 1. I am sure it is a matter of time before midgrades go up again but for now some sell at 30% less than they did a year ago.

Reminds me a bit of the stock market whereby even at these near record highs, the supposedly high growth, but no profit and issue more stock to fund further growth types of companies have dropped back by anywhere from 50% to 80% off their recent all-time highs.  And yet the older more established companies with huge profits and excess monies to buy back their own company stocks have clearly not experienced this same decline in their share price.  hm  (thumbsu

On 1/11/2022 at 4:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Reminds me a bit of the stock market whereby even at these near record highs, the supposedly high growth, but no profit and issue more stock to fund further growth types of companies have dropped back by anywhere from 50% to 80% off their recent all-time highs.  And yet the older more established companies with huge profits and excess monies to buy back their own company stocks have clearly not experienced this same decline in their share price.  hm  (thumbsu

"The cream always rises to the top", eventually that is...

On 1/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, William-James88 said:

I don't really see it as people saying the sky is falling. What I notice more is tapping on the back for not giving into hype and just being smart no matter what the market does. Some silver is till very strong, yes. I was looking to get a first Sinestro but that book is climbing now more than i'm comfortable with. There are some books that are losing highs though, like Daredevil 1. I am sure it is a matter of time before midgrades go up again but for now some sell at 30% less than they did a year ago.

No, it's definitely been a lot of "sky is falling" for years now--since I joined this forum and probably over the last 20 years or time immemorial.  And, sorry, but it was not "smart" holding back the last two years hoping for stuff to drop.  Naysayers have been wrong that entire time, and that's a mathematical certainty--not a debate.  So now there's gloating because stuff is falling by 30-50% or whatever, and people nodding sagely at having predicted the pull back, like Mr. Lou here?  Hey, grats on the call--but are we just ignoring the fact it went up 400% recently?  Nothing goes up parabolically forever--it doesn't take Nostradamus to predict that a vertical graph is going to level off.  And there's a lot more "crash" we could see and still be fantastically up in the short term.  Call me when stuff is back to 2018 levels, eh?   

Edited by Poekaymon

On 1/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, Poekaymon said:

No, it's definitely been a lot of "sky is falling" for years now--since I joined this forum and probably over the last 20 years or time immemorial.  

Then maybe I don't understand the idiom in this context. Are people saying comics are going down to almost nothing and will never ever go up?

On 1/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, William-James88 said:

Then maybe I don't understand the idiom in this context. Are people saying comics are going down to almost nothing and will never ever go up?

I doubt anyone would say that--though I could be wrong.  You'd have to go back through the 86 pages of this thread, but you will, in fact, see plenty of people making bold crash claims and spamming the falling bricks emojis and all that and generally being sensationalist about every drop.  That's all.  The data, on the other hand, support a much more evenhanded interpretation--which I bring up every few months to try to inject some rationality into this thread:

1. Nothing goes up in a vertical line forever.

2. Comics, like stocks, go up and down--but they both show positive gains over time. 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, alexgross.com said:

Not sure about SA books, but from a GA point of view, I am a bit surprised that I am still high bidder on several of the lots in the current Heritage Auction and a couple by quite a bit.  :whatthe:

Especially at this late stage in the game where I was pretty much already long gone and out of the running in previous recent auctions.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine