• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,940 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

Aren't most of the buyers of these books in their 40s-60s, or older?

In 20-30 years, as this age group shuffles off this mortal coil, will prices nosedive, or are there enough younger collectors to keep comics in demand?

it's a legit question. if you attend cons, you see plenty of men in their 30s (they are almost all men) who buy comics. and these boards have many members also in their 30s and younger. i also think that the popularity of characters from film and tv helps cross that boundary. but in 15-20 years it will indeed be interesting to see if overall interest in graded comics as a collectible and raw comics to both read and collect has waned or is showing signs. 

If we look back, has there been another collectible hobby we can point to where prices rose so precipitously only to crash when the collector base disappears?

Coins, although seemingly in a bifurcated market, look to be doing okay (although I'm just talking out of my hat, here).

Stamps? Pulps? Did either of them ever have a precipitous rise, like the one the comic market is experiencing now?

Sports cards have had so many ups and downs I have no clue which way that market is going. 

I know that antique furniture is experiencing a moment, with old, blue chip pieces losing value because generational tastes have changed dramatically.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, MisterX said:

If we look back, has there been another collectible hobby we can point to where prices rose so precipitously only to crash when the collector base disappears?

The stamp and antique furniture markets are softer than they once were, largely due to generational shifts. Beanie baby collectors disappeared in a different way.  The comic market, by contrast, seems to have cross-generational appeal as Marvel film/TV has reinvigorated the market. 

Edited by Northwest

On 1/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

We've noticed a lot of local buyers who're younger and a lot more female buyers.  This hobby is a lot more mainstream than it was 20 years ago and a lot 'cooler'.

I also noticed the younger more hip crowds at shows, my wife reminds me no matter how cool others are coming into the hobby I am still a nerd. Granted they tend to gravitate to areas of the show I do not but it is still good to see. I have often thought about the generational changes coming. For me the nostalgia is beyond what the movies share or promote. Today's generation is definitely robbed of standing in gas stations and drug stores drooling over spinner racks that introduce you to characters beyond movies (which we did not have).

On topic CL prices on books I planned on snagging this round were above last few sales. I was shooting for that Showcase 6 thinking DC was still off the radar but got sniped at the end by $100.Did grab a Steranko cover I wanted well below planned spend, but so far only have three wins on about 15 serious bids.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

We've noticed a lot of local buyers who're younger and a lot more female buyers.  This hobby is a lot more mainstream than it was 20 years ago and a lot 'cooler'.

Comic collecting has always been cool! :sumo:

On 1/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, PKJ said:

I also noticed the younger more hip crowds at shows, my wife reminds me no matter how cool others are coming into the hobby I am still a nerd. Granted they tend to gravitate to areas of the show I do not but it is still good to see. I have often thought about the generational changes coming. For me the nostalgia is beyond what the movies share or promote. Today's generation is definitely robbed of standing in gas stations and drug stores drooling over spinner racks that introduce you to characters beyond movies (which we did not have).

On topic CL prices on books I planned on snagging this round were above last few sales. I was shooting for that Showcase 6 thinking DC was still off the radar but got sniped at the end by $100.Did grab a Steranko cover I wanted well below planned spend, but so far only have three wins on about 15 serious bids.

I love showcase 6.. what grade was it?  

On 1/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, Wolverinex said:

Love it!  Here are mine... best of luck on your search.  You have good taste.  20210812_161254.thumb.jpg.03488f929c6dc644c0adc9f925a14e90.jpg

Thanks, it is an underrated book IMO.

Great copies! Thanks for sharing.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This question has been asked many times before.  I guess my answer is twofold:

• That's why the movies are such a big deal, because they've mainstreamed all of these characters and gotten multiple new generations excited about them.
  • If in fact there is a dip in demand due to demographic shifts, we'll see it first as the Golden Age collectors cash out or pass on, which will give younger Silver Age collectors like me plenty of warning.

Thats been the cards for the last 3 decades, and if anything GA looks just as strong as ever, and the top end, is the top of the hobby right now, with record sales being broken quite quickly now.    

And I've been quietly a GA nay-sayer for the last 2 decades. :tonofbricks:

On 1/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, PKJ said:

Your wife sounds like my wife.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

As far as I am aware in Texas the practice is sadly legal.  One of the multitude of reasons I no longer bid on anything Heritage offers.

Does Heritage do it on every item?  I doubt it, but they could if they so desire.

Right, legal there, and one thing to consider is that they have piles of data to sift through in order to maximize the practice. Just broad bidding patterns alone would indicate which books to shill bid.