• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,948 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, comicnoir said:

Just think of the money Transformers #1 will bring down the road?

Yeah, at $44K for the Transformers 1, I guess the buyer of the Shadow 1 for a piddly $2,500 did alright and got off lightly in comparison. (thumbsu

Especailly since there's now another 160 copies of the Shadow 1 in this equivalent highest CGC 9.8 grade to keep his copy nice and warm and to buddy around with.  lol

On 1/3/2022 at 3:59 AM, comicnoir said:

Looking through Ha's finished Sunday auctions. Eternals #1 in 9.6 finished at $288.00. A 9.6 copy in Sept. finished at $1200.00. 

Loving it. lol

Well...yikes.

(Fwiw, I don't think <$300 for a 9.6 is a terrible deal, except that trends suggest it'll go lower so one could reasonably afford to wait.)

On 1/3/2022 at 7:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

Book still belongs in the quarter box

The art and stories were so terrible that I never collected that series, even though I was Marvel zuvembie at the time.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, lizards2 said:

The art and stories were so terrible that I never collected that series, even though I was Marvel zuvembie at the time.

Agreed. I thought about purchasing one when it first got hot. Flipped through it and said no thanks.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:55 AM, Dark Knight said:
On 1/3/2022 at 12:59 AM, comicnoir said:

Looking through Ha's finished Sunday auctions. Eternals #1 in 9.6 finished at $288.00. A 9.6 copy in Sept. finished at $1200.00. 

Loving it. lol

Book still belongs in the quarter box

Wouldn't this actually apply to a lot of the movie and TV related hyped books and also all of the other current hot books of the day that the CGC label chasers are going after since they are readily available in both grade and quantity, and yet are still selling for thousands or dollars?   :devil:

Just finished with my "priority" list for 2022 and trying to stay away from the hype books. I do have a Modern on the list this year that I suspect when I land a copy  it will be record high territory and then quickly fall into the downward spiral. 

Those hype books like Eternals, and all the Spiderman2099 being pushed right now are set up perfectly to burn newer collectors. I can't imagine long term collectors going in now saying "oh I always wanted a mint copy of Spiderman 365". There will be some unhappy people if they are in it for returns next year as with every year with the bottom of the bubble books.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:49 AM, bpc3qh said:
On 1/3/2022 at 12:59 AM, comicnoir said:

Loving it. lol

Well...yikes.

(Fwiw, I don't think <$300 for a 9.6 is a terrible deal, except that trends suggest it'll go lower so one could reasonably afford to wait.)

Well, like the stock market, when a stock or a comic book goes on a upwards run or a downward crash dive, they both seem to over exaggerate in either direction before they settle down and find out a medium where it tends to consolidate for awhile.  hm

The biggest difference being that equity stocks are very liquid and you can sell most of them at current market price in an instant, while comic books (especially raw ones) are definitely very illiquid from a market timing point of view because by the time you get them back from CCS/CGC and then sell them through the auction houses, you are probably looking at a good full year later and who knows where the market for that particular book will be by then.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

Looks like the CGC label chasers also got hit with a similar drop since the CGC 9.8 highest graded copies were selling in the low $3K's back in the summer before falling back into the $2K's in the Fall and now they seem to have dropped down into the very low teens as of December.  Not sure where this book is going to stop and start to consolidate as it's still dropping with each succeeding auction result.  Which makes me wonder how the buyer of the highest graded copy of Eternals 13 (one of about 5 or 6 at the time although why in the world somebody would slab that book is rather puzzling) feels about paying $4,300 or thereabouts at the time.  Especially when it's probably currently selling for barely $100 now that there's almost 50 copies in this same highest grade for his copy to buddy around with, but then CL auctions are usually the home domain of the rather short-sighted CGC label chasers.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

Looks like prices are dropping a lot. I wonder if CLZ losing the ability to report prices is hurting the market. That app made the market a bit addicting. Every morning you could check updated prices from legit sales. Looking at numbers now, a lot of books have cooled off. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, like the stock market, when a stock or a comic book goes on a upwards run or a downward crash dive, they both seem to over exaggerate in either direction before they settle down and find out a medium where it tends to consolidate for awhile.  hm

The biggest difference being that equity stocks are very liquid and you can sell most of them at current market price in an instant, while comic books (especially raw ones) are definitely very illiquid from a market timing point of view because by the time you get them back from CCS/CGC and then sell them through the auction houses, you are probably looking at a good full year later and who knows where the market for that particular book will be by then.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

Looks like the CGC label chasers also got hit with a similar drop since the CGC 9.8 highest graded copies were selling in the low $3K's back in the summer before falling back into the $2K's in the Fall and now they seem to have dropped down into the very low teens as of December.  Not sure where this book is going to stop and start to consolidate as it's still dropping with each succeeding auction result.  Which makes me wonder how the buyer of the highest graded copy of Eternals 13 (one of about 5 or 6 at the time although why in the world somebody would slab that book is rather puzzling) feels about paying $4,300 or thereabouts at the time.  Especially when it's probably currently selling for barely $100 now that there's almost 50 copies in this same highest grade for his copy to buddy around with, but then CL auctions are usually the home domain of the rather short-sighted CGC label chasers.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

All of this makes sense but I do think your points would be clearer if you got more specific about who you are referring to when you use a blanket disparaging term like "CGC label chasers."

It sounds to me like you specifically mean speculators chasing movie hype books that are actually in high supply.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kerdese said:

Looks like prices are dropping a lot. I wonder if CLZ losing the ability to report prices is hurting the market. That app made the market a bit addicting. Every morning you could check updated prices from legit sales. Looking at numbers now, a lot of books have cooled off. 

The end/beginning of the year always sees a cooling. People trying to unload for quick spending cash/tax man money.  Probably exacerbated this year by new tax laws and uncertainty in markets. This combination with the over load of bad information (sales that were cancelled/retracted) has caused a nightmare for those trying to keep up and sort good information from bad. As with anything only time and more information will tell. 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:56 PM, William-James88 said:

HAHAHA

But just in case people don't get the joke, drek will always be drek

Not necessarily always the case, with the perfect example being this one time drekiest of drek books:

00063922399000111127459004_TH.jpg

:takeit:  :takeit:  the money that is, as I would certainly take $44K over that all-time classic drek of a book there.  :screwy: