• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Golden Pete for Probation list
6 6

343 posts in this topic

I can understand being upset about the missing slab. 

That's why I haven't really touched that issue. If there is no evidence, I'm not going to start to throw around opinions and accusations. 

I am empathetic with Alex over losing that book and not having anyone step up. I know Alex was dealing with his own issues at the time of the sale. I don't know his personal business, but I do know he wasn't selling these books because he wanted to, but because he had too. So for a higher dollar book to go missing really stinks! 

On 10/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, KCOComics said:

The goal of the probation list is to get people to fulfill their commitments. It's a self governing process. 

This situation is so sticky, I'm not sure how it would go. I'm sure there are rules about it somewhere that could be dug up. 

I did offer to pay him for the remaining second order (as first is paid off). Note, I never received a second invoice as I requested and it has been over five months.

Honestly, I don't blame him if he doesn't want to complete second order, but I'm just offering because its the right thing to do.

I'm just trying to fulfill my obligations even though it is very late.

I disappeared and the disappearance is my fault 100%

On 10/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, KCOComics said:

I can understand being upset about the missing slab. 

That's why I haven't really touched that issue. If there is no evidence, I'm not going to start to throw around opinions and accusations. 

I am empathetic with Alex over losing that book and not having anyone step up. I know Alex was dealing with his own issues at the time of the sale. I don't know his personal business, but I do know he wasn't selling these books because he wanted to, but because he had too. So for a higher dollar book to go missing really stinks! 

Yeah, I mentioned that here because that bothers me the most because nobody stepped up or at least shipped it back to him  anonymously. 

There is a boardie on here on the loose with that book and meanwhile I'm getting roasted at least that's how I felt yesterday. Now I'm back to normal because you guys in here are pretty cool dudes! after all!! 

I did for the record offer to buy more books off him the ones he didn't sale, but again I know he probably doesn't want to deal with me again, but I feel like I should at least offer to try to make it right.

And I'm sure when he reaches out again we can have some dialogue about the PayPal claim and why he filed a weird canada post claim for items not delivered when I clearly have them  

Edited by Golden Pete

On 10/28/2021 at 5:28 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hey Pete.

I'm sorry about your family issues.  I think most of us have had sudden issues disrupt our lives and stress us out and interrupt our plans.

CGC and their mods have no interest in getting involved in sales threads and the probation list and the Hall of Shame were created by boardies to try to address selling issues and to keep people honest and keep dishonest people away.  It isn't perfect but it's all we have and usually we get it right.

When you dropped off the earth I'd imagine AlexH felt you were ignoring him and he felt he had to start this thread.  When you didn't reply to this thread it appeared that you were the problem.

I think both you and AlexH are solid guys and I have to believe a reasonable dialog with AlexH should resolve this issue.  Relax.

PS  when @greggy says never trust the Chinese he's kidding because he's Chinese.

Thanks my friend! And I figured when that dirty greasy Chinese @greggy made that comment he was Chinese :shy:

Yeah I think when I was asking for the mods to help I was thinking the guys like Domo, etc.

Yep, you nailed it on the head about when I dropped off the earth and probably when Alex some me on here on August 1st he thought I was ignoring him, but in reality I wrote this long message which I drafted in my email and I thought I sent it here in the pm's, but I was and am still a noob . If anyone goes back in the thread to see that long message from July 31st you can see that the way I wrote about things really dates that message because it was written in real time back then; not something I just made up yesterday.

Thanks again and tell that mofo @greggy that he's right Chinese's can't be trusted!!!;)

On 10/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, Golden Pete said:

I have purchased  lots of slabs over these past several months and I use those experiences and if say this experience or the slabs don't match up to the quality I should receive then that's my own personal preference.

I appreciate that you are now here trying to get things straightened out, but I would appreciate some clarification on this point. You have stated that personal circumstances have prevented you from being here and caused you to neglect this ongoing transaction with Alex. But your comments suggest you have otherwise been active buying books from other people and venues. Some might interpret this to mean that you have not been so distracted that you could not conduct business, just not business here with Alex.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, Golden Pete said:

You realize I'm not trying to make an argumenative point; I 'm just saying my opinion about returns. A lot of those comic shops you mentioned above take PayPal; so does that make their return policy Paypal's?

No, I don't think that makes their return policy PayPal's.  I think it means the same thing that it does here.

That you can use PayPal's ridiculously long window to file a claim and force a return with them.  And then see how quickly each of these companies would boot your butt and refuse to do any future business with you.

Which is, I'm afraid, what's going to happen here.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative either.  I'm just trying to get you to understand that a lot of sellers in here won't put up with this kind of behavior.  Those who still use Ebay will tolerate it there only because they have to......but they won't tolerate it here.  You might think it's acceptable, but I think you'll find yourself in the minority here.  Some would take that opportunity to reflect and consider the idea that they may be wrong in this situation and that a majority of the fault leans in their direction.  But who knows.  There's always the chance that I'm wrong.  Even if it's just a very tiny chance.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, Golden Pete said:

Ikea, Home Depot (it was 180 during height of covid but now back to 90), Nordstrom , REI, Trader Joes, Zappos, Bloomingdales, etc.

I think every company has some exception to the rule like the Costco electronics/computers thing.

Ok......let me rephrase this to see if I can make my point a little clearer.

You said "most major long running companies" share your belief for the most part of very long return windows (6 months or more since we're talking about 5+ months in the current situation.

I say I can find more major long running companies that have return windows of less than 6 months than you can find with return windows of 6 months or more.  

And shall we make it interesting?

On 10/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, crassus said:

I appreciate that you are now here trying to get things straightened out, but I would appreciate some clarification on this point. You have stated that personal circumstances have prevented you from being here and caused you to neglect this ongoing transaction with Alex. But your comments suggest you have otherwise been active buying books from other people and venues. Some might interpret this to mean that you have not been so distracted that you could not conduct business, just not business here with Alex.

Yeah I bought a bunch of books / slabs before I left in June before I left and they arrived when I was gone. I also purchased some from friends that I saw when I was traveling taking care of my family things, but no I did not go to any shows and yes I did go to a couple local LCS's because my family member that I was helping is also fond of golden age comics, hence the name "golden" and it helped with their morale.  I did buy some supplies at those LCS's because I believe its good to help those shops even if they charge a little more and supplies in the summer like graded mylites and graded boxes were hard to find back then because of the shortage. Some may ... and if they do that's fine and I totally understand as anyone can think how they like.  I did not do any business on here since then and Alex was the last member I purchased from on here and til this day and obviously; I cannot purchase anything on here right now. I logged in sometime in mid June to talk to Alex and then I was back here on July 31st/August1st constructing a long lengthy message to him which I thought I sent out but I saved in my email and I admit I'm a noob and still have a challenging time navigating around here. 

On 10/28/2021 at 6:23 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Ok......let me rephrase this to see if I can make my point a little clearer.

You said "most major long running companies" share your belief for the most part of very long return windows (6 months or more since we're talking about 5+ months in the current situation.

I say I can find more major long running companies that have return windows of less than 6 months than you can find with return windows of 6 months or more.  

And shall we make it interesting?

Domo..you're killing me ...LOL. I get your point!

I think you win! Winner chicken dinner!

On 10/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, Domo Arigato said:

No, I don't think that makes their return policy PayPal's.  I think it means the same thing that it does here.

That you can use PayPal's ridiculously long window to file a claim and force a return with them.  And then see how quickly each of these companies would boot your butt and refuse to do any future business with you.

Which is, I'm afraid, what's going to happen here.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative either.  I'm just trying to get you to understand that a lot of sellers in here won't put up with this kind of behavior.  Those who still use Ebay will tolerate it there only because they have to......but they won't tolerate it here.  You might think it's acceptable, but I think you'll find yourself in the minority here.  Some would take that opportunity to reflect and consider the idea that they may be wrong in this situation and that a majority of the fault leans in their direction.  But who knows.  There's always the chance that I'm wrong.  Even if it's just a very tiny chance.

I don't know if I would say I think it's acceptable. I understand what you're saying! I am wrong on a lot of things here and the ball has been dropped on both sides. I appreciate you educating me. I know that I purchased a lot from some sellers here before mid June that sell on other sites because I would see there post here and also on those sites.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:27 PM, mattn792 said:

You know, something has been bugging me (no pun intended) - How did bugs get inside the slab?

I have seen an example of this up close. I associate it with the older slabs where the two halves of the outer case are not tight...and indeed they loosen over time, and it's one of the reasons that the older slabs are so much easier to crack open as compared to the new ones which are more tightly sealed. I have seen small bugs get into picture frames too if likewise the frame and glass are not tight enough.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:27 PM, mattn792 said:

You know, something has been bugging me (no pun intended) - How did bugs get inside the slab?

Matt,

I'm a signature buff and I have submitted thousands of items to psa/dna and this was the first time I seen it like this. I have seen bugs and things on the actual signature like photo or cut or whatever I'm going to slab, but seeing bugs in a slab was weird. This is what I think....I know Alex was keeping some of these slabs in a storage unit (you all that were in his selling thread with me during this time probably remember him talking about how he just picked up this or that in the storage unit) and I believe the bugs came from there and probably just crawled up in the bag (that's why I found many of these cgc open top poly bags with these same bugs and since this the older generation case they must have slid in through the gaps of this older cgc slab. When I saw this I asked Alex about the white marks/scratches/scuffs thinking they might be mold and asked with his expertise and knowledge what he thought this was. I believe Alex opened a chat about that asking about the white stuff for me and the general consensus was that it was not mold. Well, the main book I was looking at the time that had this weird white spindly stuff to is the Captain carrot slab so I think that one does have some sort of growth but it's probably old insect growth not white mold. I figured maybe the humidity in a storage unit caused the type of growth and I did ask Alex about it as I was still very new to seeing this type of thing (the white marks/scratches/scuffs on inner well) on a slab at that time

Edited by Golden Pete

On 10/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, Golden Pete said:

Let me see if I have any of those bugs in the bags photos from when I received this order from June. I'm not sure If I took photos of that but let me look

So I'm looking at the captain carrot slab right now and I think the reason why the insect / bug bodies didn't show up in his initial pic in his selling thread (provided the pic was not an old pic) was that these bodies move around when your touching the slab and they are inside the main part of the slab.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, Golden Pete said:

I don't know if I would say I think it's acceptable. I understand what you're saying! I am wrong on a lot of things here and the ball has been dropped on both sides. I appreciate you educating me. I know that I purchased a lot from some sellers here before mid June that sell on other sites because I would see there post here and also on those sites.

I've gone back and reread some of my posts........and some of them certainly seem like I'm trying to jump down your throat on this.  

I'm not doing that intentionally.  That's just sort of the way I post (shaddup, Greggy). 

This is an odd situation that you didn't have any control over and I can understand that it's frustrating.  But what's the fair solution?  It would certainly help if AlexH would show up and offer some input.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, Domo Arigato said:

It would certainly help if AlexH would show up and offer some input.

first I want to state my independence from any other faction, I am an independent contractor

second, that's what she said

Edited by Bird
we do that's what she said in my house all the time...wifey and daughter #2 especially love a good one, especially well placed and timely

On 10/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I've gone back and reread some of my posts........and some of them certainly seem like I'm trying to jump down your throat on this.  

I'm not doing that intentionally.  That's just sort of the way I post (shaddup, Greggy). 

This is an odd situation that you didn't have any control over and I can understand that it's frustrating.  But what's the fair solution?  It would certainly help if AlexH would show up and offer some input.

Don't compare yourself to @greggy that slimy Chinese can't be trusted ;)

Domo you guys are really cool and helped me take down my anger a few notches because I thought I was getting accused for a bunch of things like stealing a book, getting on this probation list. etc. Because I truly saw all this for the first time the other day. And during that time (the other day) I opened the PayPal claim and I don't want to screw anyone and I know Alex didn't intentionally put bugs in slabs. 

In a perfect situation If I can get those six slabs he still has that I paid for from first order and I pay for the second order that would be great. And if he could just check those slabs to make sure they bug free, etc. then we good. I don't know if he still wants me to pay at this point or doing other sales with me. I understand if thats his wish, but I did reach out to him and offer to pay for the second order invoice I never received and I did offer to buy some other slabs that he still has that didn't sell.

If I was him I don't know If I would trust me given the circumstances that I didn't talk to him for a few months; so I get it if he doesn't want to do business with me anymore. I understand that, but I'm trying .

Or we can just go our separate ways; and hash out this first order. I honestly would prefer not to return because then I have to pack up all these slabs, but I really do want those other comics I paid for because one of them I really thought would arrive in the first delivery. It would be nice just to speak to him or have some sort of dialogue as I'm sure we can come to a mutual agreement as we had in the past when we were negotiating prices over these slabs.

Edited by Golden Pete

On 10/28/2021 at 9:13 PM, Golden Pete said:

Don't compare yourself to @greggy that slimy Chinese can't be trusted ;)

Domo you guys are really cool and helped me take down my anger a few notches because I thought I was getting accused for a bunch of things like stealing a book, getting on this probation list. etc. Because I truly saw all this for the first time the other day. And during that time (the other day) I opened the PayPal claim and I don't want to screw anyone and I know Alex didn't intentionally put bugs in slabs. 

In a perfect situation If I can get those six slabs he still has that I paid for from first order and I pay for the second order that would be great. And if he could just check those slabs to make sure they bug free, etc. then we good. I don't know if he still wants me to pay at this point or doing other sales with me. I understand if thats his wish, but I did rich out to him and offer to pay for the second order invoice I never received and I did offer to buy some other slabs that he still has that didn't sell.

If I was him I don't know If I would trust me given the circumstances that I didn't talk to him for a few months; so I get it if he doesn't want to do business with me anymore. I understand that, but I'm trying .

Or we can just go our separate ways; and hash out this first order. It would be nice just to speak to him or have some sort of dialogue as I'm sure we can come to a mutual agreement as we had in the past when we were negotiating prices over these slabs.

This seems very reasonable.  

Hopefully AlexH still has those books and is willing to work things out.

Plus, he'll need to make it this far in the thread without using a spoon to gouge out his own eyeballs.