• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, Superhero said:

So the question for me is does this crazy auction cause a stampede of people to sell their art causing a decline in the market due to supply or does it cause people to hold onto their art and create demand that vastly exceeds demand driving prices much higher?  Or something different, pigs fly, Hell freezes over, dogs and cats living together....just what does this mean?

Well, Romitaman just added a 0 to every single Black Suit Spider-man page he owns, and I'm guess other dealers are adding 2 zeros.  In turn, more art ends up in auctions since people are seeing bigger and bigger numbers, which leads to a buying frenzy.  I think as the values increase you're going to start seeing new buyers, who have no interest in art, but are interested in high value assets (how long until Logan Paul starts buying Comic Art?)

This reminds me of when the ASM328 cover sold a decade ago. Crazy price, the market moved, but...we haven't seen a $600k McSpidey since.

Does anyone actually know if it was bought by a fan vs investor? Spending 4-5x the hobby high does not seem like you'll be making a profit anytime soon, but I could totally see fans going not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy like this :)

Edited by RabidFerret

On 1/13/2022 at 8:17 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Well, Romitaman just added a 0 to every single Black Suit Spider-man page he owns, and I'm guess other dealers are adding 2 zeros.

Serious or Sarcasm?

A 2000 page is now 20,000 ?

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, Ted_L said:

I know I'm probably the one one who cares about this, but I think the X-Men #107 cover was a record high for Cockrum art at 360K!  I would have loved to own that, but I'll have to be satisfied with my pages from that issue.

On the plus side, I picked up a cool page for less than $100 yesterday in the Heritage Weekly Auction, so not everything's unaffordable just yet.

$63K for the X-Men 94 Cockrum page was also strong.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Serious or Saracsm?

A 2000 page is now 20,000 ?

I'll take notes in April at Comic Art Con, but remember, you can ASK whatever you want, it doesn't make a $2,000 page actually worth $20,000

On 1/13/2022 at 9:09 PM, Brian Peck said:

$63K for the X-Men 94 Cockrum page was also strong.

Yeah, although it almost seemed like a bargain today.  I'll be curious to see how the Cockrum Hulk cover does -- I really like that one!

I know I pulled all artwork I had for sell.  Two many moving parts

1.  Prices are hard to determine in the current environment

2.  New tax rules mean I will pay the Government a ton if I sell something

3.  Any cash proceeds would just lose their value given there is nothing I plan to buy that I can't fund without selling stuff.

Edited by batman_fan

On 1/14/2022 at 3:06 AM, delekkerste said:
On 1/14/2022 at 3:03 AM, zhamlau said:

This isn’t nostalgia.

Was that the comic art market's AOL-Time Warner moment? That was beyond insane. 

No way, it's just the start! 

Everything else just had its price tag raised, and the supply of money out there to chase these things continues to be inexhaustible!

On 1/14/2022 at 3:10 AM, batman_fan said:

For decent material, are we at a place where you really should only sell in an open auction versus a private sell?

Yes.  The answer has always been yes.

When you sell in a private sale, you are limited by your imagination.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:54 AM, stinkininkin said:

The Secret Wars pages was about investment, right? Not about nostalgia or about the merit of Zeck as an artist (and I'm a Zeck fan!). This was about potential investment or moving one currency to another currency. Not what we all got into original art for in the first place. Right?

I don't think so.  If it's just about moving one form of assets to another, then something much more fungible with a deeper, more liquid market, like a slabbed Action 1, Tec 27 or AF 15, would seem to be a much better way to go.

Putting that much into a relatively niche asset like an OA page for a character like Venom, at a price that is multiples of anything ever paid publicly for OA,  seems pretty risky. 

For those who were tracking the bidding, was it just 2 bidders driving it up?  If so, that would be further evidence that the market for this particular item is shallow as hell.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, tth2 said:

For those who were tracking the bidding, was it just 2 bidders driving it up?  If so, that would be further evidence that the market for this particular item is shallow as hell.

It seemed like two bidders to me. Someone correct me if I misinterpreted, but when the lot got to around the $1.5M mark, one bidder would hesitate going to the next increment, then when they decided “screw it, let’s do it,” the other bidder didn’t hesitate at all to raise them. They did this for a while. It just seemed to me that the eventual winner had no spending limit and was going to go as high as it needed to go. 

On 1/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, tth2 said:

The bigger question is who bought it, and who was the under bidder! 

well I am looking for someone with a bulging wallet to take out for a few nights on the town, aka the seller. I am assembling a whole team, Oceans 11 style (Frank, Dean, Sammy, Joey and Peter...not the new crew but Clooney is damn handsome, innit he?).

many are looking at the market implications, so yes the buyer and underbidder are of interest there. BOR-ING!

On 1/14/2022 at 6:50 AM, Bird said:

well I am looking for someone with a bulging wallet to take out for a few nights on the town, aka the seller. I am assembling a whole team, Oceans 11 style (Frank, Dean, Sammy, Joey and Peter...not the new crew but Clooney is damn handsome, innit he?).

many are looking at the market implications, so yes the buyer and underbidder are of interest there. BOR-ING!

Why do I get the sense that you're seeking out the seller and/or buyer?