• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 9:01 PM, shadroch said:

You were submitting a few hundred books a year and never looked into a dealer account?

Yes. I did not bother since I had no interest in submitting for others. Dumb move on my part in the long run, I guess.

Edited by kimik

I do not think there is any way that CGC would make a viable IPO. Maybe I am wrong, but as an investor I would not find it attractive as their current business model is not easy to scale. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:10 PM, kimik said:

I do not think there is any way that CGC would make a viable IPO. Maybe I am wrong, but as an investor I would not find it attractive as their current business model is not easy to scale. 

If they got everything to be consistent and for a long time duration I could see it. As it is I agree there are too many variables.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, Artboy99 said:

If they got everything to be consistent and for a long time duration I could see it. As it is I agree there are too many variables.

In a world where bitcoin is near $50,000,  anything is possible.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, Sigur Ros said:

You may literally the only person on Earth saying that.

Here's one of the many saying otherwise...

https://youtu.be/Cx3pQTYnyzY?t=478

Really? Be you mean? Take a CBCS rubberized slab, bow it backwards on the spine side. Let me know how it holds up compared to a CGC one.

This video shows someone twisting a slab, who the hell does that anyway?

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 1/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, Tony S said:

I'm not sure how to say this. MOST COLLECTORS don't want their books slabbed. It's not a matter of most people need an incentive to buy raw - most people need an incentive to buy slabbed.  I cannot count the number of slabbed books I've sold where I was asked to break it out of the slab for the buyer.  

I do agree that people are often times paying similar to graded prices for their raw books.  But that they are says volumes. MOST COLLECTIONS have no graded books.  MOST COLLECTORS want to be able to read or at least page through their comics.  

I think you are misunderstanding me a lot on this topic.

I agree with you what said.  However, there is no way most raw collectors will pay CGC 9.4 prices for a raw books for the same price just less CGC costs on expensive books.  I am not talking about a ASM #301 in Fine condition here lol   The reason I was in disagreement with the other boardie is he referred to CGC 9.8's.  That he can sell for $80 and the CGC 9.8 sells for $100.  

I do not think any person who isnt high on crack cocaine would pay me the same money for a raw Hulk #181 that I grade at NM over a CGC copy in CGC 9.4 only buying merely saving on the CGC cost alone.  Unless the seller is guaranteeing that if I get it graded if it does not come back at least a CGC 9.4 I can get my money back.  I fully understand CGC isnt for everyone and can over grade sometimes, but the hobby still ranks them as #1 for grading so why take the risk for the same price versus a dealer who may have over graded the raw copy.  

I also never understand when people think you can't just crack out the CGC book and read it, but at least you know you have a NM unrestored copy versus rolling the dice buying it raw before you get it graded. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, Artboy99 said:

Even then, it is not a strong public company concept. Maybe if they can automate grading and encapsulation then you can scale by adding more lines of bots that work 24/7, but until then it will only be as scalable as the number of trained graders and encapsulators they can hire and retain.

On 1/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, october said:

I have gone from hundreds of books a year sent to CGC, to dozens, to zero in 2021. I don't see that changing anytime soon with turnaround times and fees in a breakneck race to see which can end up worse.

You grade better than them anyway...,

On 1/11/2022 at 8:31 PM, shadroch said:

Someplace, lurking in the darkness, are a bunch of other suits staring at an industry generating hundreds of millions in revenue, driven by characters they own. 

I sincerely hope that you are not working on the belief that CGC by itself, is generating hundreds of millions in revenue on a annual basis.  meh

If that indeed was the case, it certainly would have cost Blackstone a whole lot more than just $500M to acquire CCG, which has something like 8 or 9 companies under its corporate umbrella, with CGC being one of the smaller of the nine.  In fact, small enough to the point that the then ownership of CCG gave nothing but a passing thought to them as the coin side of the operations was what was important to them from both a business and personal interest point of view.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/12/2022 at 1:19 AM, lou_fine said:

I sincerely hope that you are not working on the belief that CGC by itself, is generating hundreds of millions in revenue on a annual basis.  meh

If that indeed was the case, it certainly would have cost Blackstone a whole lot more than just $500M to acquire CCG, which has something like 8 or 9 companies under its corporate umbrella, with CGC being one of the smaller of the nine.  In fact, small enough to the point that the then ownership of CCG gave nothing but a passing thought to them as the coin side of the operations was what was important to them from both a business and personal interest point of view.  (thumbsu

On 1/11/2022 at 11:31 PM, shadroch said:

Someplace, lurking in the darkness, are a bunch of other suits staring at an industry generating hundreds of millions in revenue, driven by characters they own. 

His comment reminds me of something out of Spawn 10 by Dave Sims 

Edited by Kevin76

On 1/11/2022 at 10:05 PM, D2 said:

Who is angry?

You were literally told by a mod to keep it civil.

I just think it’s sad that, for one, you quit CGC and still troll their message boards?

You:  "This is the most popular forum for the hobby!"

Also you: "OMG! Why are you here?"

I have no skin in this game, that’s why my opinion is genuine. 

For having no skin, you are by far the most invested in the conversation.

Take care.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, kimik said:

Are you looking at this from just the comics perspective?

They just graded 1 million cards,  do you know how profitable grading cards is?  A lot more then comics I bet.  2 dimensional grading,  no counting of pages.  Grading probably takes less then a minute.  Printing money.  

Again, Blackstone doesn't invest 500 million into a business not expecting to shine it up and move on later.  

This isn't the convention business model