• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 3:00 PM, Tony S said:

You do realize the vast, overwhelming hobby is raw, right?  Go to any comic book store or comic convention. What's the ratio of raw to graded? 10,000 to 1?  There are three comic book stores in my town and one - the largest and oldest - has not one single slabbed comic book for sale.  I have customers that go back to the 1980's.  Dealers shouldn't be put on any sort of pedestal, but neither should CGC.  The relationship between CGC and dealers is and has been mutually beneficial. 

Emotions can be unproductive, but it FEELS like one side is trying to take advantage of what has been a mutually beneficial relationship.  

The hobby is overwhelmingly raw books because that’s how they are manufactured and produced. 

I’m not sure why we are even discussing that. 

CGC is obviously a third party company, meaning, they deal with the ‘after market’. 

Now that we are done stating out the obvious…

If you don’t think that CGC is directly related to the longevity and prosperity of this industry, then I won’t point out the obvious irony where you are having this debate. 

On the most popular forum for the hobby. 

The CGC chat room. 

The mere fact that there is this disregard for how vital CGC has been for your livelihood speaks volumes  

On 1/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, sckao said:

A Premium Membership at $149 has no discount. An Elite Membership at $299 has a 10% discount. (Which means you need to save at least $150 in fees to make it worthwhile in the most basic terms.)

So a Dealer Membership now costs $199 and gives you a 15% discount?

What am I missing here?

(I have an Elite Membership and am registering as a business this year due to the new tax law. It seems to me I should be applying to be a dealer and I would actually save money.)

Mods notified for using logic.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

The mere fact you hit enter too much should put qualify you for the .99 cent new boardie service fee from Blackstone. :wavingwhiteflag:

This is why nothing gets through. 

You’re too busy trying to think of something witty to say rather than actually considering what someone is saying. 

Lost cause. No surprises there. 

Edited by D2

Seems to me as @skypinkblu pointed out is "THE WAY" dealers found out about the $200 fee.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but there was no email, text msg or letter in the mail informing you that this was going to happen.
It's just one day, you login and "poof" , $200 fee a year now!  The $200 is still a gripe but how it was presented is the larger gripe? ...Am I right on this?

On 1/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, D2 said:

This is why nothing gets through. 

You’re too busy trying to think of something witty to say rather than actually considering what someone is saying. 

Lost cause. No surprises there. 

Everything you are saying I already know.  You are not adding anything that most people have not already considered or fully understood.  

Most dealers don't consider $199.99 anything special.  It was more there was no heads up from CGC as a courtesy before the fee just showing up on our dealer homepage.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, musicmeta said:

Seems to me as @skypinkblu pointed out is "THE WAY" dealers found out about the $200 fee.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but there was no email, text msg or letter in the mail informing you that this was going to happen.
It's just one day, you login and "poof" , $200 fee a year now!  The $200 is still a gripe but how it was presented is the larger gripe? ...Am I right on this?

The way it was presented was by I believe Iceman presenting a thread last night that I got notified on.  

Since I hadn't logged into my dealer portal I wasn't aware of this new "fee".

Today I got the email from CGC about the new fee. 

Edited by blazingbob

On 1/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, blazingbob said:

The way it was presented was by I believe Iceman presenting a thread that I got notified on.  

Since I hadn't logged into my dealer portal I wasn't aware of this new "fee".

Today I got the email from CGC about the new fee. 

Oh..Ok, not much of a notice before hand but at least you did get one via email. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, musicmeta said:

Finally, I can understand this.  Especially if there is a dealer list.  Sounds like someone at CGC was behind in getting out the email notice.  This plus raising the submition price and cutting 5% of the discount is a lot of money for folks submitting large volumes.  They could at least give the 15% based on volume.

Edited by HighRadArt

On 1/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, Ares said:

I said this was going to happen when Blackstone took over but no one listened

I think many people knew what was going to happen.  None of this is surprising.  I just thinking venting helps the healing process. lol 

On 1/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, blazingbob said:

Today I got the email from CGC about the new fee

With a link to the new information- which didn't work