• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

No company is too big to fail.  

CGC is not even what I would consider a big company. 

imho when @blazingbob bob storms, gator, torpedo comics, harley, greg reece, ted, and 10 or more of the other big dealers that i either don't know, or am forgetting, all agree to no longer submit books to cgc, then, and only then, might things shift. since buyers do not want voldy slabs as much nor pay the same prices for them, it sounds like that's unlikely to happen. i know some dealers who are submitting far less to cgc. but that seems to be the extent of things. so we're just left with alot of complaining here, to ourselves, and the wind. 

On 1/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, alexgross.com said:

imho when @blazingbob bob storms, gator, torpedo comics, harley, greg reece, ted, and 10 or more of the other big dealers that i either don't know, or am forgetting, all agree to no longer submit books to cgc, then, and only then, might things shift. since buyers do not want voldy slabs as much nor pay the same prices for them, it sounds like that's unlikely to happen. i know some dealers who are submitting far less to cgc. but that seems to be the extent of things. so we're just left with alot of complaining here, to ourselves, and the wind. 

Yes and it's because "right now" CGC has all the leverage.  

On 1/11/2022 at 5:23 PM, alexgross.com said:

In the last two cons that I went to I have remarked that I have started to see a growing percentage of books that are normally graded being offered and sold raw.   While people are not handing money over to Voldy, they are, as @Bookery stated grading themselves and selling them at a slight discount compared to a graded copy. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, Artboy99 said:

At this stage I actually don't care what the delivery driver is wearing because it would mean my book was actually shipped to me!

No, you're never gonna get it. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, alexgross.com said:

if you've ever bought tickets online to anything, a concert, a comic con, a comedy show, you may recall that at the verrrry end of the checkout process, right after you enter your payment info, is the little line item before the total called SERVICE FEE. 

he was joking

On 1/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, buttock said:

I'm not a CGC dealer, but I'm surprised that they weren't already charging for this service.  

What service though?  Having an authorized dealer costs CGC nothing.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

If you think moving to CBCS is a good move, try out handling a slab. I recently returned one I bought on eBay as it was bowing backwards and each time I handled it several stress creases were present on the BC. :sick:

Even the older CGC holders are stronger then theirs. Might want to avoid.

You may literally the only person on Earth saying that.

Here's one of the many saying otherwise...

https://youtu.be/Cx3pQTYnyzY?t=478

On 1/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

My local shop completely gave up on submitting books for others.  Not even close to worth the headache.

Ditto.  Too many calls and complaints about turnaround times and then the number of returns to fix bad cases, incorrect labels, etc, etc, etc, etc.

He said it's just too much of a headache.