• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, Bookery said:

I'm one of the original 100 dealers to whom CGC gave a gratis membership when they started.  But I'm not in a position to complain about a $200 fee, since in recent years I only send off a couple of books to them per year (though I generally only send in books that cost more than $200 to grade anyway).  However, I would point out CGC is not "vital" for all of us dealers.  I get the CGC price for my raw books (minus grading costs, of course) anyway.  Meaning, if a CGC 9.4 brings $100, I can sell my 9.4 raw for $70-$80 all day long.  If it's $1000 graded, I'll have no problem getting $800+.  Of course, in order to do this you have to have a long-standing reputation for accurate, and especially consistent, grading, and be able to spot restoration.  But I'm not the only dealer who can do this.

Why would anyone buy a raw book and take the risk of you not grading the book correctly just to save on CGC grading costs?  Pretty obvious a buyer would just do the opposite.  

If a book is selling for $100 in CGC 9.8 why would I buy it for $80 raw?

Most an intelligent buyer would pay is $25-50.

I understand people dont always buy raw books to get CGC graded, but there usually needs to be an incentive for a buyer to buy the book raw versus an already graded CGC copy. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, Tony S said:

Not to take this thread off the rails - but eBay's ONLY APPEAL is getting paid quickly. Or being able to offer very low value books for sale. . Nearly every other venue actually charges lower fees and might not generate a 1099 at the end of the year. 
My Comic Shop, Comic Link, Comic Connect, Pedigree. Fees all less than eBay. And these places do most of the work and are responsible for shipping.  MCS even has good sales results for raw books and lists your consigned slabs on eBay

The only downside is time.  Takes longer to get a check 

As you said, not to derail, but there are a least a couple-few more appeals with eBay, the first being the number of users. Another is searchability and access to past sales data.

Major keys do great at the auction houses, but those modern books which would get overlooked sell like hotcakes on eBay. (and these are not $10 low value books; $300+ books)

On 1/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Why would anyone buy a raw book and take the risk of you not grading the book correctly just to save on CGC grading costs?  Pretty obvious a buyer would just do the opposite.  

Happens all the time, even on these here chat boards.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

Because they collect comics and it's cheaper than buying a book in a bunch of plastic they don't want.

That makes zero sense. 

So if I say a book is near mint and GPA on a NM is 10k I just have to subtract the grading fees and you will buy it? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, october said:

You are thinking too big. Many slabs aren't 9.4 silver age mega-keys or 9.8 copper. 

If I am collecting decent silver age runs, why would I pay a huge slab premium for, say, Fantastic Four 14 in 6.0 or Spider-Man 64 in 9.0 if I can get a similar copy raw? There are huge amounts of books like this. 

I was going off his example.  

I see many comic book stores that grade their raw books and and try to get CGC prices. Which I find wrong on high grade books.  They want CGC 9.8 prices on raw books.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/11/2022 at 10:40 AM, D2 said:

Right. Sounds like dealer hogwash to me. 

I doubt very highly there is more brand loyalty to a dealer than CGC. 

I’m sorry to say it, but that’s what this is about, entitlement. 

Dealer entitlement. 

Based on your posts, you'd have no problem if dealers passed that charge on to you as a surcharge. After all, you've done just as well in this time as dealers and CGC.

Right?

Isn't this just a cost/benefit calculation if you're running a business? The increased cost of dealing with CGC vs the cost of jumping ship?

I understand that this isn't "a good look" as many have said, but we're talking about a business where the game is to both literally and figuratively "squeeze" profits from subbing and re-subbing books into a mostly arbitrary black-box process, to get incrementally higher numbers on a label that in some cases can result in absurd returns. 

I'm sure it won't take many successful "pressing candidates" to offset this $17 dollar a month premium. Principle is important, but so is perspective.