• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 11:49 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Really? Be you mean? Take a CBCS rubberized slab, bow it backwards on the spine side. Let me know how it holds up compared to a CGC one.

This video shows someone twisting a slab, who the hell does that anyway?

Most often, you tubers who are comparing the strength, integrity, and protection offered from the various cases.  I think they all end up at the same conclusion. 

Who bows them backwards? 

Why is twisting wrong and bowing not? 

Lol... 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, blazingbob said:

It is not that the seller would sell one for less then the other.  It is that the buyers won't pay the same price.  Accurately graded books will always sell faster.  If you are looking at a book and questioning the grade and it is the same when looking at lots of books you come to the determination that their grading is loose and that you automatically downgrade the book in the holder.  CBCS did it to themselves,  the market didn't do it.  You get a reputation as a loose grader it sticks with you.

I truly wanted CBCS to succeed as folks like me benefit from true competition in the industry, but they put on clinic in what not to do.

Their Business plan needed to have included;

- Forecast and Expect to take losses their first 5-6 years of operation (Amazon did for at least that long)

- Charge enough lower than CGC to ensure submitter's  give you a try.  A dollar or 2 less won't do it. $4-5 might, then see rule #1

- Grade noticeably stricter than CGC and maintain that. This item is paramount. At first some will be "disgruntled" then slowly you will build reputation and positive perception.

CBCS did not do any of that.  Those who know Barock also know he is flipper of the highest order. The flipper mentality is a short-sighted and always for "the now".. It does not work well with a viable long term business plan. Yeah Borack has done OK for himself, no argument there, however both him and CBCS could have been the industry standard and leader raking more than CGC at this juncture in time, instead of being an also ran.

As result of their short-sighted vision the perception of CBCS will never ever change.

P.S.   I have 14 books in the CBCS slabs, All 9.8's, only 4 of which i think are deserving of the number on the label. The rest fall rather short IMHO. I also looked at at least 50 other of their slabs at cons.  I gave them a fair shot but I was very disappointed.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2022 at 5:52 AM, GACollectibles said:

Just because you don't deal with people who buy like that doesn't mean it isn't happening, it happens on a large scale all the time, whether it due to supply factors, trust of seller and the fact that CGC is not an absolute.  There used to be a big difference between the raw and graded prices of the same high books, that gap has narrowed significantly as people paid more then got the books slabbed, or had to pay more to get the books they wanted and didn't need them slabbed, as a couple of examples.

OMG :wavingwhiteflag: NO :censored:

Never mind.   That has nothing to do with my point. 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Most often, you tubers who are comparing the strength, integrity, and protection offered from the various cases.  I think they all end up at the same conclusion. 

Who bows them backwards? 

Why is twisting wrong and bowing not? 

Lol... 

Not understanding what you mean by who bows them backwards. The CBCS slab was already doing this when I received it. Who puts this out as an acceptable holder for comic storage, especially for something with a high dollar value.

In the case with my return, the eBay seller did not hesitate to accept it. Literally, if you took a straight edge, or even eyeballed it, it was bowing backwards. As a test, I applied very slight pressure to it, and sure enough it had previous creases, but I confirmed when pressing with slight pressure that the bowing caused all of them. Tested on the old and new CGC holders, nice and sturdy.

Your video shows an example of the CGC case cracking due to a harder material. Which means CBCS is a little soft. It was 1 and done for me. I like the extra thick CGC holders for my books. CBCS is a little flaccid @kav lol

On 1/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, Bookery said:

I sell plenty of CGC books too, though usually I buy them already graded.  CGC's a perfectly fine company.  But let's face it... they are "experts" because they say they are experts.  I'm also an expert.  Have been one for 40 years (okay... let's say 30... I figure it takes about 10 years to become a truly "expert" grader, covering all the possible ramifications with golden-age to modern, restoration issues, etc.).  I'm guessing the majority of CGC graders don't have that 10 years experience yet.  If I suddenly patented and began slabbing and grading vintage paperbacks, would I now be more of an expert than I was the day before I slabbed them in plastic?  Obvious answer.

The majority of the CGC graders do have 10 years (many now 20 years) experience grading comic books. :news:

Now whether you agree with their grading or not, ok understood.  However, I know many dealers and collectors who are much older than me and their grading was and has always been terrible.  Years in while important also not the end all be all factor.  There are some people that can pick up a skill much faster than others.  

There is a very short list of professional graders in the world (most do not work at CGC) which I have been very vocal in telling CGC peeps that.  However, CGC does have many professional graders working there as well.  Some were professional graders before they went to work for CGC.

Most professional graders know they can make more money in 3 months working for themselves then grading other peoples books for 12 months. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/12/2022 at 10:30 AM, Bookery said:

A $30 slabbed book would, if raw, probably go in my $4-$10 boxes, since at that end of the spectrum, a big chunk of the value is indeed the slabbing itself.

To add to that, when you go below the $100 threshold, it can go the other way too where a $30 raw book wouldn't sell for more slabbed. 

Like a lot of midgrade DC silver age stuff which sells for $30-$50. Those sell around guide whether they are slabbed or not and since slabbing does not increase the worth of the book, there is nothing wrong with selling a raw at the rightfully valued guide price, which is also $30 in the case of these two below.

image.thumb.png.15cd64ec8167efdfc522f2a44b11d28f.png

I get that when discussion CGC and price premiums, we think of keys of really big books, but the majority of books sent to CGC are not those. They are instead books that could just as easily sell for raw and would probably make even more money to the seller if they were sold raw. It being in a CGC slab simply makes it less of a headache when selling (less issues with returns, accessibility to some auction houses, ect) but it doesn't mean it's the way to get the highest return.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

BlackStone should implement a CGC Boardie fee for posting non-sensical posts.

If they charged .99c each post they would generate more income than all the 2022 modern CGC submissions combined. 

Heck just from my drunk posts they would get me for a couple hundred bucks per year. 

Sorry I am like a billion pages behind but if they charge .99c in this fashion then it completely makes sense that the new post was added for @kav to have off topic rants discussions.  He will single-handed pay for the board himself. lol 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, MAR1979 said:

P.S.   I have 14 books in the CBCS slabs, All 9.8's, only 4 of which i think are deserving of the number on the label. The rest fall rather short IMHO. I also looked at at least 50 other of their slabs at cons.  I gave them a fair shot but I was very disappointed.

Since the outer and inner wells hide most of the flaws....., ouch.

I saw a bunch of HG PGX Atom slabs close on eBay Sunday, and OMG closing prices for obviously over-graded stuff. I did get one cheap that appeared OK - we'll see...,

On 1/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, lizards2 said:

I saw a bunch of HG PGX Atom slabs close on eBay Sunday, and OMG closing prices for obviously over-graded stuff. I did get one cheap that appeared OK - we'll see...,

The first question will be whether the interior of the book matches with the cover.  :devil:

On 1/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, namisgr said:

The first question will be whether the interior of the book matches with the cover.  :devil:

I've been hearing people call PGX a fly-by-night company operating out of someones garage for the last twenty years.