• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

You realize the regular membership here have been PAYING for membership for over 20 years too right? Paying dealers to submit books for us? Paying for an annual CGC Membership to support CGC and/or to submit in later years. I remember those three free Express Grading coupons each year.

Or is everyone here literally a dealer? hm

On 1/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, sckao said:

I remember those three free Express Grading coupons each year.

:headbang:

Edited by Bird
although I only submitted myself after they went away, I do recall them and am not a cgc dealer (yet!)

On 1/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, sckao said:

You realize the regular membership here have been PAYING for membership for over 20 years too right? Paying dealers to submit books for us? Paying for an annual CGC Membership to support CGC and/or to submit in later years. I remember those three free Express Grading coupons each year.

Given the fact the topic is about a new for the first time in 22 years dealer membership fee, I would not be surprised if there are more dealer account holders in this thread than the norm.

In the past, CGC's perspective is that dealer accounts "paid" for their membership by driving a lot of business to CGC. 

Lots of people on the boards here actually have a free membership just so as to participate in the forums and send in books at shows and signing events. 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, Tony S said:

I'm not sure how to say this. MOST COLLECTORS don't want their books slabbed. It's not a matter of most people need an incentive to buy raw - most people need an incentive to buy slabbed.  I cannot count the number of slabbed books I've sold where I was asked to break it out of the slab for the buyer.  

I do agree that people are often times paying similar to graded prices for their raw books.  But that they are says volumes. MOST COLLECTIONS have no graded books.  MOST COLLECTORS want to be able to read or at least page through their comics.  

100% agree. I would much prefer living in a world where everyone was honest about grading and we all shared the same grading standards (which we essentially could by just adhering strictly to overstreet), leaving all books unslabbed.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:03 PM, William-James88 said:

It does since they get less money due to discounts (that's their cost of having an authorized dealer). 

Offering discounts is not a cost.  They can end the discounts, like they did with most of their membership, that would increase profits more than suddenly charging a tax. 

I don't submit myself and only have about 25 slabs (70% CGC) in my collection but I would expect this will trickle down my way should I happen to use a dealer to submit for me. I currently use my LCS when I submit and know their costs are part of what I'm charged. Earlier in this thread, others mentioned that many collectors prefer raw and I'm in that camp. The recent trend of graded prices for raw has made me pass on a number of books as that makes zero sense to me. Why would I bother if I just exhibit a bit of self-control and go find a graded copy for the same price? It is a bit (shrug) that this would happen unannounced as it did. Given how "vocal" things are here, this type of response is warranted and not unexpected.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Your angry fanboyism aside... 

I can say after I left (due to the non-stop QC issues, not price increase(s) or TaTs)...I have never once regretted a thing.

More accurate, consistent grading... better cases (by far)... free grader notes (actually free, not the ones CGC offers... if they're even available).

But you're right... I definitely learned a lesson.  Being the first does not make one the best.

Who is angry?

I just think it’s sad that, for one, you quit CGC and still troll their message boards?

And 2, CGC doesn’t have more loyal and understanding partners. 

I have no skin in this game, that’s why my opinion is genuine. 

On 1/11/2022 at 6:26 PM, october said:

I have gone from hundreds of books a year sent to CGC, to dozens, to zero in 2021. I don't see that changing anytime soon with turnaround times and fees in a breakneck race to see which can end up worse.

Exactly. And why wait a year to get a book back that you can just as easily sell raw. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:53 PM, sckao said:

No. There are plenty of us here that submit a few hundred books per year and have been paying for memberships for 20 years. I guess we were doing it wrong. lol 

Edited by kimik

On 1/11/2022 at 8:44 PM, kimik said:

No. There are plenty of us here that submit a few hundred books per year and have been paying for memberships for 20 years. I guess we were doing it wrong. lol 

You were submitting a few hundred books a year and never looked into a dealer account?