• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 9:24 PM, D84 said:

With all due respect, CGC is not a model for consistency either. I've cracked CGC slabs that were severely over graded. 

People talk about the stricter and looser periods here, but it hasn't hurt their reputation because of its cult like following. 

It is not a cult like following, it is because CBCS has blown their credibility with consistently looser grading at the wrong time. When Steve jumped ship there were plenty of collectors and dealers that followed, only to return when the loose grading killed the value for the books. Personally, I find that CBCS allows too many of my pet peeve flaws go in higher grade books so I pass on them even at an attractive discount.

Every company has its tighter and looser grading periods. Heck, there was a time when PGX had tighter grading than CGC - I know based on submissions I made there during another extra long TAT period at CGC. I thought they looked better, and this was confirmed when I resubbed them to CGC and received higher grades on every book without pressing and cleaning (I did not know what that was way back then lol ). Over time, CGC has been the most consistent of the grading companies and as a result it is the one that buyers trust. 

Edited by kimik

In reference to 'rivals' grading - The amount of 9.9's getting put out there on a regular basis are ridiculous!

Lets not take this thread away from the point though... Are dealers just going to take this c**p or..?

On 1/10/2022 at 10:12 PM, oalg2 said:

The OP's correct... It looks like as-well as being hit with the percentage lowering last year, we now have to pay for the privilage of being dealers, to get our discount and pay for bringing in CGC business... It is crazy!

Yes. 

I am sorry to say but everyone here just sounds like a bunch of whiners. 

The last time I checked, dealers make a LOT of money being associated with CGC, and you guys are kicking up a fuss for 200 bucks a year. 

I understand everyone’s frustration, but someone needs to tell you guys that you STILL have it easy and, last time I checked, being a CGC dealer was, hard to get into, and a lucrative business when you are. 

My last point is, you are not bringing in CGC business, CGC is bringing in business for you. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, CrocHntr said:

Not to turn this into another CGC vs CBCS discussion, but as a buyer, I’m paying for an accurate grade.  I really don’t care which Company’s slab I get as long as I can be confident the grading is accurate.  And I’d pay the same price for either slab, so I don’t know why a seller would willingly sell one for less than the other.

I don’t care which company slabs?

You should care. If you’re in the business to make money, I’m pretty sure every single person into comics will agree the exact same book, graded by CGC, will receive more. 

Period. 

So you should care. 

Edited by D2

I hope a bunch of you dealers jump ship. 

This way more slots will open up for new guys hungry and excited for the opportunity to be a part of a huge connection. 

People that leave would regret it, and clearly need the lesson. 

Complaining about $200 while your inventory increased in value exponentially over the last year or so....

Seems kinda silly 2c

Spend 10 minutes going through your dollar bins to pay for it.  So much free money in there if you take a moment to find it (shrug)

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/11/2022 at 2:48 AM, Arkham said:

If that ever happened, I (like many others here, I'm sure) would happily host a new one for the community.

All of the forums that I know of which charge for membership are the absolute worst environments. CGC's current forum isn't perfect, but it's about what you'd expect. No way in Hel I would ever pay to be here.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:09 AM, D2 said:

Then go. 

go to CBCS tomorrow. Go ahead. 

It’s this attitude. 

You guys need to wake up. 

No one cares about your individual gripes and nickel and dime shenanigans. 

Fact is, comic books graded by CGC are at premium prices, and CGC is the only reason why this market and industry is where it is today. Facts. 

Everyone is happy to cash in on a growing market, but fail to thank the one company responsible. CGC. 

You gotta admit, this isn't a good look for cgc. 

I'm all for fair and balanced. Price hikes and market adjustments are a part of business. CGC is selling a service. And that service has been bad for nearly 2 years now. Wait times and quality control issues.  I can't imagine Matt or anyone else would argue that point. They've been bad. 

They've cut discounts and increased prices and justified it by saying they would hire more people and improve processes. And maybe they have, but it's failed to address their problems. 

I'm not a dealer. This doesn't effect me. But unannounced rate hikes is poor business practice for a company that needs to address serious underlying problems. 

Sadly it seems like they've made the choice to expand and diversify in non-comic areas, at the cost of the quality of their comic business.  They don't believe there is viable competition and they might be right, for now.