• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, Ryan. said:

It's 5 degrees here and the UPS guy that just dropped off my latest CGC package was wearing shorts. CGC should strongly reconsider dropping UPS.

Was it better than the FedEx guy who dropped the box of chocolates into your open garage instead of bringing it to your front door?

On 1/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, greggy said:

Was it better than the FedEx guy who dropped the box of chocolates into your open garage instead of bringing it to your front door?

The FedEx guy took special care to place the box in the exact position in my garage where my car's tire would drive right over it if I didn't see it beforehand.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, Tony S said:

I do not know how many ACTIVE, routinely submitting dealer accounts there are, but there are far, FAR more than 200 authorized dealers.  I have several dealers as clients - they submit using their own account - and the highest dealer number is near 2000. And this is not a "new" dealer. Owns several stores and has for years. 

I was going by CGC's own website.

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/DealerListing.aspx?state=ca

On 1/11/2022 at 9:58 AM, blazingbob said:

First off,  I'm a dealer that has been with CGC since they opened.

CGC is not my employer.

They are a grading company that I choose to use.

They may be the one that grades the book but I'm the one standing in front of the customer selling it.  

CGC does not "sell" the book.  

Exactly. The Dealer is the Client who also happens to be the biggest promoters of the service.

This is CGC biting the hand that feeds it for a measly $200

On 1/11/2022 at 12:44 PM, Red84 said:

Makes sense where you got the information from.  I believe - at least up to this point - have to ask that your store/business be placed on the Dealer Listing page.  I had to request it. Not everyone that has a dealer account is interested in sending in books for other people. Some may not have brick and mortar stores. And some I know for sure because they have told me so have no interest in sending in books for others.  The previously 20% and now 15% mark up is not near enough for the time, trouble, responsibility and potential liability. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, Tony S said:

eBay is another relationship that has gotten worse over time and needs reevaluation by many. People stay in relationships that have soured because they are afraid of change.  

Yeah, I'm far more annoyed by eBay's fees, but I have yet to find a good alternative.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Yeah, I'm far more annoyed by eBay's fees, but I have yet to find a good alternative.

Not to take this thread off the rails - but eBay's ONLY APPEAL is getting paid quickly. Or being able to offer very low value books for sale. . Nearly every other venue actually charges lower fees and might not generate a 1099 at the end of the year. 
My Comic Shop, Comic Link, Comic Connect, Pedigree. Fees all less than eBay. And these places do most of the work and are responsible for shipping.  MCS even has good sales results for raw books and lists your consigned slabs on eBay

The only downside is time.  Takes longer to get a check 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, Tony S said:

Not to take this thread off the rails - but eBay's ONLY APPEAL is getting paid quickly. Or being able to offer very low value books for sale. . Nearly every other venue actually charges lower fees and might not generate a 1099 at the end of the year. 
My Comic Shop, Comic Link, Comic Connect, Pedigree. Fees all less than eBay. And these places do most of the work and are responsible for shipping.  MCS even has good sales results for raw books and lists your consigned slabs on eBay

The only downside is time.  Takes longer to get a check 

I might reevaluate things soon. The change from eBay of taking days to get payment instead of instantly via PayPal was a major problem for me.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Tony S said:

My Comic Shop, Comic Link, Comic Connect, Pedigree. Fees all less than eBay.

Just keep in mind just because a company or business doesn't generate a 1099 for the individual that person is still responsible for reporting the income from .01+ each year.

I always laughed when my friends or other collectors would tell me they stop selling comics once they would come close to the previous 20K limit from eBay.  They somehow  assumed anything under 20K the gov't just lets you keep the profit. lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

A Premium Membership at $149 has no discount. An Elite Membership at $299 has a 10% discount. (Which means you need to save at least $150 in fees to make it worthwhile in the most basic terms.)

So a Dealer Membership now costs $199 and gives you a 15% discount?

What am I missing here?

(I have an Elite Membership and am registering as a business this year due to the new tax law. It seems to me I should be applying to be a dealer and I would actually save money.)

On 1/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, sckao said:

A Premium Membership at $149 has no discount. An Elite Membership at $299 has a 10% discount. (Which means you need to save at least $150 in fees to make it worthwhile in the most basic terms.)

So a Dealer Membership now costs $199 and gives you a 15% discount?

What am I missing here?

(I have an Elite Membership and am registering as a business this year due to the new tax law. It seems to me I should be applying to be a dealer and I would actually save money.)

Since everyone is a dealer I think all of you should sign up for thi

Edited by blazingbob