• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

Essentially the pencils for Thanos #1 from the upcoming on-going series. It's by Jeff Dekal. This was the image he loaded into the computer and finished the final digitally. The detail and power of the image is pretty stellar. I put an image of the final below as well.

3-IMG_0729_zpsvtlceuqc.jpg

1-Thanos%201%20Cover%20Final_zpsfdf96u3z.jpg

Essentially the pencils for Thanos #1 from the upcoming on-going series. It's by Jeff Dekal. This was the image he loaded into the computer and finished the final digitally. The detail and power of the image is pretty stellar. I put an image of the final below as well.

3-IMG_0729_zpsvtlceuqc.jpg

1-Thanos%201%20Cover%20Final_zpsfdf96u3z.jpg

It's an amazing cover, congrats! (thumbs u

Ankur, you should really tell the boards who the seller was who didn't disclose this to you so that he won't do this again. Inflating prices based on mis-identification and hoping for a greater fool isn't a good model for collecting or selling art.

Well, it's now up for sale on CAF. Lists both Cooke and Bone as pencillers and provides the following description:

p. 13 - A great page by Cooke and Bone with Commissioner Gordon introducing Barbara to his "friend", P'Gell! A great page from Batman Spirit, which won the 2007 Eisner for best single issue.

Hey guys! So, I just picked this page up! Needless to say, it's one of the best pieces I can now call myself the proud owner of. Page # 1 from All Star Batman & Robin # 8, by Jim Lee, Inks by Scott William. A great portrait of The Joker. I've always loved this take on The Joker. He had such an understated, quiet menace to him in this series, which only made his violence all the more terrifying, juxtaposed with his calm and quiet demeanor. I always thought it was a fascinating contrast with Batman, who acted so over the top, who acted like someone pretending to be insane, while The Joker very much genuinely was insane.

tumblr_obu7j8J8bt1vvgafko1_540.jpg

tumblr_obu7j8J8bt1vvgafko4_540.jpg

tumblr_obu7j8J8bt1vvgafko5_540.jpg

tumblr_obu7j8J8bt1vvgafko10_540.jpg

I don't share in public often, but this one is special to me:)

This is my white whale. The one that got away and I've chased for decades.

I started collecting comic art in 1998, getting more serious in 99-00 after college. Back then eBay was the only auction house when this piece popped up for sale.

I always loved Disney comics. They were the first thing I'd ask comic shops if they had. Most in the US would give me funny looks and point to some cobwebbed box in the corner that doubled as a trash bin. This also meant that anything you found was often $1. In those days I didn't pay attention to the artist as much, but there was one guy who did weird art that stood out. It was too polished and precise.

So when I saw this piece up for sale, something clicked and it was love at first sight.

It was also one of the most epic piece of duck art I've ever seen. The opening panel was lifted from Barks in all it's glory, and there were amazing panels of Donald and Gladstone. Rosa himself later said "One thing that Duckfans will be able to easily spot; virtually every Duck pose in this story is copied from an old Barks Duck.". It was the opening splash of Rosa's second story and his first 10 pager(after Son of the Sun).

I watched this auction obsessively and decided to bid up to $400 for it. At the time this was by far the most I'd ever considered spending on art. Most art I bought was $200 or less.

The auction day finally came...and I was blown out of the water. Completely demolished. It sold for something like $2500. I was floored.

From there I sought out Don Rosa himself, now obsessed with finding a page of his. He only sold his stories complete, so I organized two groups of people to buy stories and split them, myself getting first pick for the effort. It partially made up for missing that page, but it was always 'the one that got away'.

15 years passed without a peep. No idea where it went until it suddenly showed up on Heritage auction and my eyes lit up. I set my sights.

Most Rosa pages sell for $1-2k, with the best ones hitting $2k+. This page, knowing it had sold for $2500 15 years ago, I expected to go high.

I was ready to put in a crazy bid without batting an eyelash. I'd sell stuff to pay for it if need be. I wasn't letting this slip past again. Ideally I'd get it for $3-4k. Worst case I'd overpay.

In the end, I overpaid.

But boy was it worth it! I am so in love with this page:) Is the piece worth what I paid? Probably not. But in a lot of ways that often makes the best and most personal art.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1337427

rosa_nobodys_business_sml.jpg

I don't share in public often, but this one is special to me:)

This is my white whale. The one that got away and I've chased for decades.

I started collecting comic art in 1998, getting more serious in 99-00 after college. Back then eBay was the only auction house when this piece popped up for sale.

I always loved Disney comics. They were the first thing I'd ask comic shops if they had. Most in the US would give me funny looks and point to some cobwebbed box in the corner that doubled as a trash bin. This also meant that anything you found was often $1. In those days I didn't pay attention to the artist as much, but there was one guy who did weird art that stood out. It was too polished and precise.

So when I saw this piece up for sale, something clicked and it was love at first sight.

It was also one of the most epic piece of duck art I've ever seen. The opening panel was lifted from Barks in all it's glory, and there were amazing panels of Donald and Gladstone. Rosa himself later said "One thing that Duckfans will be able to easily spot; virtually every Duck pose in this story is copied from an old Barks Duck.". It was the opening splash of Rosa's second story and his first 10 pager(after Son of the Sun).

I watched this auction obsessively and decided to bid up to $400 for it. At the time this was by far the most I'd ever considered spending on art. Most art I bought was $200 or less.

The auction day finally came...and I was blown out of the water. Completely demolished. It sold for something like $2500. I was floored.

From there I sought out Don Rosa himself, now obsessed with finding a page of his. He only sold his stories complete, so I organized two groups of people to buy stories and split them, myself getting first pick for the effort. It partially made up for missing that page, but it was always 'the one that got away'.

15 years passed without a peep. No idea where it went until it suddenly showed up on Heritage auction and my eyes lit up. I set my sights.

Most Rosa pages sell for $1-2k, with the best ones hitting $2k+. This page, knowing it had sold for $2500 15 years ago, I expected to go high.

I was ready to put in a crazy bid without batting an eyelash. I'd sell stuff to pay for it if need be. I wasn't letting this slip past again. Ideally I'd get it for $3-4k. Worst case I'd overpay.

In the end, I overpaid.

But boy was it worth it! I am so in love with this page:) Is the piece worth what I paid? Probably not. But in a lot of ways that often makes the best and most personal art.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1337427

rosa_nobodys_business_sml.jpg

:applause: