• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,761 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, Skunkboy said:

I just received my very first piece of OA!  I've long appreciated OA pieces from afar, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on anything with the market being what it is.  Well, this Alfredo Alcala panel from SSOC 89 came up at a recent Heritage auction, and it really spoke to me.  I'll be honest - I was not familiar with Alcala's work prior to this, but I really love this piece - it features our favorite Cimmerian, and the story takes me back to playing D&D as a kid :cloud9:.

I now totally get the passion that OA collectors have for the hobby - there's something really magical about getting up close to a panel and looking at each stroke; it's like staring at history.  I'll have to continue very gradually with my new OA "collection", but I'm hoping this is the first of many :banana:

Welcome to the game! SSoC is a good choice. Those black and white magazines didn't expect subsequent coloring to do any of the work, so the original art page generally looks more finished and presentable than, say, a comparable page in a regular Conan comic.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

This is my first non-commission OA piece and it's likely to be about as close to a grail as I'll ever get.  Jim Lee's my favorite artist so it was always a dream to get some OA from him.  As for Turner, I first learned of him from the Superman "Godfall" arc and then picked up any DC title he did interiors for, including the "Supergirl from Krypton" arc.  I loved his rendition of Supergirl so much, I bought two copies of the SDCC variant of Superman/Batman #8.  One day I was perusing the sketch cover thread and saw a boardie with a Michael Turner sketch.  I never even considered the possibility that such a thing would exist.  One fateful evening I decided to do a search for Turner art and stumbled upon this.  I could hardly believe my eyes, the two artists I was mostly interested in collecting OA collaborating on the same piece?  Lee with one of DC's Trinity and Turner on the one DC character that I associated with him?  I had to have it.

323093913_JimLeeMichaelTurner.thumb.jpg.001b28cf30cabc21fdd4f045ea579f3a.jpg

Very nice!!  (worship):applause:

On 11/15/2021 at 5:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

This is my first non-commission OA piece and it's likely to be about as close to a grail as I'll ever get.  Jim Lee's my favorite artist so it was always a dream to get some OA from him.  As for Turner, I first learned of him from the Superman "Godfall" arc and then picked up any DC title he did interiors for, including the "Supergirl from Krypton" arc.  I loved his rendition of Supergirl so much, I bought two copies of the SDCC variant of Superman/Batman #8.  One day I was perusing the sketch cover thread and saw a boardie with a Michael Turner sketch.  I never even considered the possibility that such a thing would exist.  One fateful evening I decided to do a search for Turner art and stumbled upon this.  I could hardly believe my eyes, the two artists I was mostly interested in collecting OA collaborating on the same piece?  Lee with one of DC's Trinity and Turner on the one DC character that I associated with him?  I had to have it.

323093913_JimLeeMichaelTurner.thumb.jpg.001b28cf30cabc21fdd4f045ea579f3a.jpg

That's Gold! The Turner character and Lee character of women who rocked DC! :whee:

New Art Day - Faux Sugar and Spike 100 cover featuring The Legion of Super-Heroes

Yes, once again, my daughter's inheritance has been squandered; this time on an anniversary present for me! Thanks, Kathy!

Two of my favorites (Sugar and Spike plus the Legion of Super-Heroes) on one cover!

This piece feature the time traveling LSH visiting our heroes. The LSH is looking for their Brain(iac 5) while S&S are confused by the fact that their friend, Bernie the Brain, is also missing.

Jeffrey Moy did a wonderful job taking my terrible art direction and making it awesome. Thanks, Jeffrey!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1772654 or click the image

Moy, Jeffrey - Sugar & Spike 100 cover featuring The Legion of Super-Heroes.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 11/23/2021 at 9:14 AM, TonyTheHammer said:

I recently obtained this masterpiece by Clayton Crain -

I am struggling to find other pieces by him. I wish it wasn't so hard! Paying well over market value for his work please! / finders fee!

248991486_2656381838000571_5154578786237750983_n.thumb.jpg.599b8aed923b8685a9df07516caac698.jpg

That is some sweet business! Dynamic and large, cant go wrong!

On 11/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, Joshua33 said:

Agreed. The ink wash makes them so much more intricate. Don't remember if I showed this one on here or not, but the detail for an SSOC double splash is insane. I can't remember how many hours Frank said he had in this one, but it was a ton. 

20210308_141937.jpg

20210308_142005.jpg

Wow! I dont know that I've seen a magazine original art, and a splash 2 pager!?!  :whatthe: