• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

New addition to my faux Sugar and Spike 100 cover collection. This one was commissioned 3 years ago. Kathy works way ahead. 🙂

The cover features Jeffrey Brown's Lucy and Andy Neanderthal as S&S's babysitters.

Thanks to Jeffrey Brown of Star Wars fame (Darth Vader series and Jedi Academy series) for the excellent job!

Click on image to embiggen!
image.thumb.png.68fa6384fe6da833e4d8ea47c45123ed.png

I'd been looking for an Archie Horror-themed Steven Butler piece for awhile - and his 90's work has been really heating up, so there had been more of his art than usual floating around, but not the Archie stuff. He's done a few EC-themed covers and a Chamber of Chills 19 homage (which I would love to track down someday) - and I was always behind the curve on buying them.

His work has this cool retro-vibe to it, and when combined with the GGA style of Archie and throwing in a little Cthulhu horror styling - this cover was a real easy one to pull the pin on. Luckily for me, he posted the art on his FB page around midnight, and I happened to see it at 4AM when I was getting up for work - so I think I might have had the benefit of not many people seeing it before I bought it. Either way, I feel I lucked out.

I loved it from the second I saw it. I generally have a "No Pencils" rule to my art (I send off any pencil pieces to get inked) -  but this one was an instant exception. This was from a just-released one-shot comic (exclusive variant) called Darkling based on Darla Lang magical superheroine from the Sabrina end of the Archie universe.

Darkling One Shot Cover by Steven Butler from 2023.jpg

Published Darkling One Shot Cover.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 12/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, fenip said:

Really like this one! Jeffrey has a very distinctive style and it works perfect here!

Thanks! I think he does excellent work and he has a good sense of humor.

I have one other piece by him that amuses me as well. :) Click to embiggen.

image.thumb.jpeg.53000343b7542b306d56e5ff125decfa.jpeg

I made a fake faux S&S 100 cover out of it using a different SW based image taken from the internet (my bad) that seemed appropriate. My image manipulation skills are rather limited.

image.thumb.jpeg.18c59bef77edea161bbe9bd9b23c06b5.jpeg

Back in July, I commissioned Mike and Laura Allred for one of my world famous faux S&S 100 covers featuring Madman for delivery at OAX 2024.

The delivered everything I could hope to get.

I credit my impeccable art direction; I asked for the tots and Madman in a humorous situation.

With that great assistance, Mike came up with a clever idea. I love Madman's expression as he looks from his work to that of the tots. Yeah, I'd be confused as well.

Click to embiggen.
image.thumb.jpeg.f4ddb06ec67e429edeb393964eedf2b3.jpeg

I posted a reveal video (which is hilariously bad since I'm not much of a "video" guy) in the commission section - but I figured I'd throw it up here. I'm a big fan of Brian Baugh's 'Wulf and Batsy' comics, his art style is a fun mix of girls and gore.

My request to him was along the lines of 'Strip Club in a Graveyard' with his female character of Batsy (I have a slight graveyard theme going in my collection) and he really delivered. I especially enjoy the tombstone as her stripper pole, and the moon as the spotlight.

BrianBaughBatsyCommission.thumb.jpg.2c4cb002d0b376fc68d6a2cb0139ff5f.jpg