• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Don't have much info on this yet but its being promoted as "The Return of War Comics." I lost the link but saved this image. Its a four issue limited series that takes place in 2008 Iraq during a massive troop withdrawal. Its called HOUSE OF THE GUN. I googled it but it doesn't come up anymore. The article was very secretive about the project not mentioning artists or writers. Fingers crossed.

A series about Iraq in 2008 and the artwork shows two pistols that are at least 150 years old? I don't get it.

Here's one bought off the forum -- not high grade, but great for the price.

All-American Men of War 90.

1707784-AAMoW90.jpg

Just nice enough to toss on the scanner to scan a page without ruining its "value":

Story 1, page 3, Jerry Grandenetti, right?

1707784-AAMoW90p3.jpg

And Roy Lichtenstein's triptych, "As I Opened Fire"

1707784-AsIOpenedFire.jpg

I know that a lot of comic collectors rag on Lichtenstein for "stealing" images, but I like him. He never tried to hide his sources, and he did transform, not just copy, the originals.

Jack

What great Russ Heath covers, BB! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think that AAMOW may be my favorite logo of the Big 5. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In any event, nice book and thanks for posting the comparison. Heath was once invited to a gallery showing in NYC for Lichtenstein. They figured he would pay his own way for the privilege of seeing Lichtenstein's inspirations. Heath, no surprise, declined the invitation.

About 6 years ago on a trip to NYC, I scored a shirt for my Pooch collecting friend from the Gugenheim which featured a nice Lichtenstein exhibit at the time. It was a shirt that prominently featured Pooch with big "GRRRRRRRRRRR" letters. Totally Grandenetti ripoff and my friend was pleased as can be with it. The only unoffical Pooch shirt that's ever been officially released!

Irv Novick commented that he knew Private Lichtenstein when they were in the army back during WW2.

Here's one bought off the forum -- not high grade, but great for the price.

All-American Men of War 90.

1707784-AAMoW90.jpg

Jack

I really enjoyed the layouts of the covers of these AAMOW's at the end of the series. cloud9.gif

---on another note, excellent GIC's Buck! Real beauties!! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

About 6 years ago on a trip to NYC, I scored a shirt for my Pooch collecting friend from the Gugenheim which featured a nice Lichtenstein exhibit at the time. It was a shirt that prominently featured Pooch with big "GRRRRRRRRRRR" letters. Totally Grandenetti ripoff and my friend was pleased as can be with it. The only unoffical Pooch shirt that's ever been officially released!

Irv Novick commented that he knew Private Lichtenstein when they were in the army back during WW2.

0376_01.jpg

Jack

Hello,

I know this isn't a very nice copy but I was hoping after Shep, Mick, Andy AdamStrange or Jeffro see this, they will start posting more of their awesome DC war books. Maybe a higher grade copy of this issue. thumbsup2.gif

Picture201.jpg

I'm sorry still no scanner and I can't stop buying comics long enough to save up enough scratch for one. sorry.gif

I sure got a great deal on the # 83. cool.gif