• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,713 posts in this topic

thanks, g.a.tor!

it's actually much redder and whiter; darn digital camera.

ff1-1.jpg

:cloud9:

Attaboy Straw-Man. That's the way to do it.

These are what I like to refer to as upside-down 9s. Very pretty and your "placeholder" until you hit the lottery... :insane:lol

Recent pick-ups. A rather nice #44

scan0050_zps05m45y27.jpg

and, an issue I've been after for a while as I love the cover, #110

scan0051_zps2x5r8jmi.jpg

The FF110 also has quite the story to it. I'd been watching it on e-bay (auction 10 days) when I noticed that it and a load of other late SA/early BA FF's were suddenly made not available by the seller (the same seller I had purchased the FF#7 from a couple of pages back). I sent a rather cheeky (in my mind) PM asking why he had taken them all down. Apparently, because no one had bid on them with a couple of days to go he didn't want the hassle of sending lots of comics out for only a £1 etc and was going to throw them away!!!!!

I said, please don't them throw away I will take them all for a £1 each, most of them were only worth that (pence copies and fairly low grade judging by the pics supplied) but a few were worth more, like the #110 and I offered £5 for that. He had to wait because he'd gone over his earnings limit, mainly down to the selling of a very low grade, pence FF#1 for just under a grand. When he could sell again he contacted me and said the #110 was up as a BIN so I bought it now. :P

I then asked about the others and repeated my offer. He sent me a rather confusing reply about 'moral commitments to my customers' which frankly I didn't understand and just replied 'ok, then. Thanks' and left it at that. The next day he sent a message which absolutely astounded me. He had sent all the comics I wanted (43 in total) for nothing!!!!! I, obviously, thanked him profusely and once again offered to pay £1 apiece. No, he replied. He wouldn't even let me pay for the P&P! Then left a very nice feedback message. None of the issues were key and nearly all were pence copies but still filled in a massive hole in my run, especially #94-120 and I was very pleasantly surprised that the condition in hand for many of them was a lot better than I thought going by the pictures.

What a stand-out guy, easily the most generous person I've had the pleasure of dealing with in the comic book world. FF fans truly are the best fans in the world.

when i saw that book posted, i swear i thought "too bad ben isn't over here in silver; he'd love that date stamp!"

.... that FF 44 always takes me back....... those 60's FF's were so weird and bizarre..... they just blew me away. You gotta remember, things were pretty tame and innocent back then, heavy metal hadn't been invented yet, TV was just starting to go to color, and the comics from the House Of Ideas were about the most sophisticated form of entertainment around, definitely larger than life..... for us kids back then, it was our closely guarded secret :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

when i saw that book posted, i swear i thought "too bad ben isn't over here in silver; he'd love that date stamp!"

.... that FF 44 always takes me back....... those 60's FF's were so weird and bizarre..... they just blew me away. You gotta remember, things were pretty tame and innocent back then, heavy metal hadn't been invented yet, TV was just starting to go to color, and the comics from the House Of Ideas were about the most sophisticated form of entertainment around, definitely larger than life..... for us kids back then, it was our closely guarded secret :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

It was one of the first I decided to purchase when I was early in my stages of collecting the original american editions. #45 and #46 were already a bit more expensive, but I saw I could afford a nice #44 and I had to get Gorgon… :cloud9:

And not that was much different in 1978, believe me: we had TV, "sophisticated" stuff and videogames but nothing was more realistic, mysterious and exciting at the same time than a Marvel comic.

Suffice to say I started watching the cartoons on TV (they were the Hanna Barbera ones I believe, which were aired later on here) but as I read my first Marvel comic… I never dreamed to watch a cartoon once again! lol

I do agree. 'heavy metal hadn't been invented yet'...nice line as I was just cutting my teeth on this early stuff when Marvel knocked on the door. [bronze age, natch] I latched onto both with ten fingers and ten toes!

here's a newer version of one of my faves - if this ain't metal, nuthin' is!