• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, woowoo said:

Have not had a chance to see what's in here so please post what you see.image.jpeg.3e925faad4665088a18fa7040635145d.jpeg

Looks like a stack of Mask Comics #1 center case bottom rack? Unreal!  :applause: 

On 4/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, Point Five said:

Looks like a stack of Mask Comics #1 center case bottom rack? Unreal!  :applause: 

There's a few books that cover several months - All Select 5 (below the Mask 1) and Headline Comics 12 (far lower left belong the Green Lama). The All Select 5 was out Oct 1944 and the Headline 12 was out January 1945. Mask 1 has a cover date of Feb/Mar 1945, which would put it out around Dec 44. 

not to be a killjoy, but as Nearmint knows too well, be careful posting these old comics images because many are copyrighted and belong to big stock photo outfits and they protect their rights like a junkyard dog. They are probably okay here on the boards, but .... 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:02 PM, Aman619 said:

not to be a killjoy, but as Nearmint knows too well, be careful posting these old comics images because many are copyrighted and belong to big stock photo outfits and they protect their rights like a junkyard dog. They are probably okay here on the boards, but .... 

A copyright owner might have a hard time trying to prosecute on a photo initially displayed on the internet, and then copied and displayed elsewhere on the net.  I believe that as long as the copier is not trying to sell the protected scan for profit, they are safe.

Yes. Sounds fine.  Just that you can’t assume if there’s someone willing and able to prosecute. As the saying goes, ignorance of the law…. Also once you are served the $$$ clock starts ticking so even winning costs you money..

On 4/18/2023 at 9:17 AM, ak47po said:

Fun clip, thanks! Sure brings back the good old days. Some things never change though. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

$2,500 for More Fun #52-53? Balderdash! I paid $125. in time payments for my 52 back in the late 1960’s. An astounding amount of money and by far the most I had ever spent on a comic book. I had to haul a lot of newspapers, cash in a lot of pop bottles and mow a lot of lawns to pay it off.

And those “wild” costume contests. Most of us young fan boys had never seen a real live woman look that sexy. I remember Wendy Pini as Red Sonja at an early SDCC. WOW! 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:07 PM, fifties said:

A copyright owner might have a hard time trying to prosecute on a photo initially displayed on the internet, and then copied and displayed elsewhere on the net.  I believe that as long as the copier is not trying to sell the protected scan for profit, they are safe.

I had about 100 newsstand photos on my website.  I do sell comics on the site, but the photos were put there just to share them with collectors.  The copyright holder of 6 of the images sent me a bill for $6000.  

Unless you own the original photo outright, you need permission from the owner to use them or pay the consequences. The net being what it is, I usually watermark any of my original photos.

I only had a problem once when someone used a photo I took at con of an individual and used it in an insulting manner. I asked the person to take it down and when they refused, I notified the mods. It was deleted quickly. 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, nearmint said:

I had about 100 newsstand photos on my website.  I do sell comics on the site, but the photos were put there just to share them with collectors.  The copyright holder of 6 of the images sent me a bill for $6000.  

That's horrible! I hope you were able to resolve it without paying the billed amount. :wishluck:

On 4/19/2023 at 2:19 PM, nearmint said:

How did he show proof that they were his, and had copyrights?  How did you resolve it?

On 4/19/2023 at 9:39 PM, nearmint said:

It wasn't a he, it was a massive corporation.  I consulted with two attorneys, both board members, and with their help composed an email response to their request for over 6K.  It stated that I was unaware that the images were copyrighted and that I took them down as soon as I discovered they were.  It then requested proof of copyright registration and renewals for each of the images, and offered a settlement of $100 per image.  I sent the email and never heard from them again, but I don't share any newsstand images anymore on my site.  It's not worth the risk. 

So you called their bluff, good.  Too bad it may have cost you for the legal advice though.  Are you reticent to display newsstand images here?

On 4/20/2023 at 1:00 PM, fifties said:

So you called their bluff, good.  Too bad it may have cost you for the legal advice though.  Are you reticent to display newsstand images here?

No, the attorneys/board members didn't charge me anything.  Very kind of them.

I wouldn't hesitate to post pics here.  That's been going on for decades, literally.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, nearmint said:

I am not a lawyer, but some basics of copyright law as I understand it:

• While you own the physical photo that does not, by itself, mean that you can reproduce or distribute the photos to others.  That is true whether you physically create copies or post it on the internet.
  • Even if you had taken the photo, that photo includes comics which are copyrighted.  Unless those rightsholders approve, they can object to the distribution of this photo.
  • You would be able to copy or scan the photo for own your records or insurance purposes. The scan that you make is then "yours" and the copyright holder would not be able to use your scan without your permission.
  • There are exceptions to copyrights (for example: education, parody, transformative art, etc.), but there are grey areas within the exceptions that make it hard even for lawyers to give advice with confidence.

These mostly make sense to me as they align with the intent of copyright law to encourage and reward the original creator.

What makes things complicated is that copyrights can now extend for almost a century, making it very easy to infringe without realizing it.  It also makes it difficult to be certain you are not infringing, as there is often no way to know for certain what is in the public domain unless it was produced before 1928 (per USA law).  Even things that were created before 1928* are sometimes aggressively pursued by alleged owners.

Patty Hill was a kindergarten principal in Louisville, Kentucky, developing teaching methods at the Little Loomhouse;[6] her sister Mildred was a pianist and composer.[7] The sisters used "Good Morning to All" as a song that young children would find easy to sing.[8] The combination of melody and lyrics in "Happy Birthday to You" first appeared in print in 1912.[9] None of the early appearances of the "Happy Birthday to You" lyrics included credits or copyright notices. The Summy Company registered a copyright in 1935, crediting authors Preston Ware Orem and Mrs. R. R. Forman. In 1988, Warner/Chappell Music purchased the company owning the copyright for US$25 million, with the value of "Happy Birthday" estimated at US$5 million.[10][11] Warner claimed that the United States copyright would not expire until 2030, and that unauthorized public performances of the song are illegal unless royalties are paid. In February 2010, the royalty for a single use was US$700.[12] By one estimate, the song is the highest-earning single song in history

*1928 is the magic year because that's when Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse, and preserving Walt's legacy is always cited as a major reason to keep extending the law.

Edited by adamstrange

On 4/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, jpepx78 said:

Here is some interesting “street art” on a boarded up business in San Francisco. A few panels have fallen off but what characters do you recognize in the color panels?

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

Raboy’s CM Jr., Kirby Sandman, Cole’s Plastic Man & sidekick, Caniff’s April Kane, Starman, Wonder Woman, Action 1, Wildcat, Classic Sandman, Green Arrow & Speedy MF years, Dr. Midnight.  Cop? Maybe by Shuster?