• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2023 at 12:11 AM, adamstrange said:

I am not a lawyer, but some basics of copyright law as I understand it:

• While you own the physical photo that does not, by itself, mean that you can reproduce or distribute the photos to others.  That is true whether you physically create copies or post it on the internet.
  • Even if you had taken the photo, that photo includes comics which are copyrighted.  Unless those rightsholders approve, they can object to the distribution of this photo.
  • You would be able to copy or scan the photo for own your records or insurance purposes. The scan that you make is then "yours" and the copyright holder would not be able to use your scan without your permission.
  • There are exceptions to copyrights (for example: education, parody, transformative art, etc.), but there are grey areas within the exceptions that make it hard even for lawyers to give advice with confidence.

These mostly make sense to me as they align with the intent of copyright law to encourage and reward the original creator.

What makes things complicated is that copyrights can now extend for almost a century, making it very easy to infringe without realizing it.  It also makes it difficult to be certain you are not infringing, as there is often no way to know for certain what is in the public domain unless it was produced before 1928 (per USA law).  Even things that were created before 1928* are sometimes aggressively pursued by alleged owners.

*1928 is the magic year because that's when Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse, and preserving Walt's legacy is always cited as a major reason to keep extending the law.

There are basic guidelines that protect the original work and those who use it with non-commercial intent; it also protects potential victims from scammers looking for a quick payday.

image.png.5d48cfa0413057e6796c52512f9c0b26.png

:cheers:

From the Shorpy website - a place I visit now and then, which uploads old photos. Anyone ID this comic?

Info: June 1942. "Queens, New York. Nursery school at Queensbridge housing project. Children listening to music during rest period." Acetate negative by Arthur Rothstein.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 123753.jpg

On 10/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, ThreeSeas said:

From the Shorpy website - a place I visit now and then, which uploads old photos. Anyone ID this comic?

Info: June 1942. "Queens, New York. Nursery school at Queensbridge housing project. Children listening to music during rest period." Acetate negative by Arthur Rothstein.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 123753.jpg

Might be Batman 11, which came out about that time and included a Penguin story near the back of the comic.

https://www.comics.org/issue/2261/

On 10/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, adamstrange said:

Might be Batman 11, which came out about that time and included a Penguin story near the back of the comic.

https://www.comics.org/issue/2261/

And we have a winner! Yeah, after I posted the photo I went back to the Shorpy website and there were a couple of posts stating it was Batman 11. I would never have figured that others at the site would also be into comics.

On 10/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, ThreeSeas said:

And we have a winner! Yeah, after I posted the photo I went back to the Shorpy website and there were a couple of posts stating it was Batman 11. I would never have figured that others at the site would also be into comics.

Shorpy is an awesome site.  I've gotten lost in there for hours in the past.  Might be time to re-visit. :D