• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2022 at 8:52 AM, spreads said:

Haven't been buying much lately, but I still keep my eyes open....saw an ad yesterday (50 minute drive from my house), of 2,000 comics for $550.  The pictures weren't promising but there were a few ASMs, SSM 1 and some other titles so I figured it would be worth it based on bulk rates alone.  Met the guy at his old farmhouse his parents own, right away (the three boxes and two tote bags) I knew there wasn't 2k comics.  He was receptive and told me to go through it, as I start looking through the first tote, I see low grade ASM 300 and 101. 

I didn't bother going through any of the others boxes, I told him this is fine.  I could have definitely negotiated lower, but I didn't have time to go through them nor would I have felt right had I found some real big books after beating him up at an already good price.  Chatted for maybe another 20 minutes, left my business card then hit the road.  Went through all them yesterday, as expected the rest of the comics (about 1k total) is almost entirely bulk with a handful of maybe a few 5-10 books.  Everything that isn't pictured below is going to be bulked out dirt cheap.....the ASMs are low grade, they have a 'gritty' feel to them of being worn down from years without bags/boards.  

IMG-0668.jpg

IMG-0667.jpg

IMG-0666.jpg

IMG-0670.jpg

IMG-0672.jpg

IMG-0665.jpg

I'll assume you're a fellow Canadian.  Looks like you have some Canadian price variants in there!

On 10/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, davidpg said:

I'll assume you're a fellow Canadian.  Looks like you have some Canadian price variants in there!

Correct.  I don't pay much attention to them anymore...especially in low grade.  High grade and key issues, that's different....

On 10/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, littledoom said:

$10 each longbox?! Wow. That’s a great price even for drek 

Idk, is it?  40 boxes is a lot...the greater the volume the less the rate...I've seen comic shops offer less than 3 cents a book on a collection that definitely was drek.  I'm going to be bulking this stuff out in the 20-30 cent a piece range and it's not all drek, some decent stuff in there. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, spreads said:

Idk, is it?  40 boxes is a lot...the greater the volume the less the rate...I've seen comic shops offer less than 3 cents a book on a collection that definitely was drek.  I'm going to be bulking this stuff out in the 20-30 cent a piece range and it's not all drek, some decent stuff in there. 

It is because majority selling or bulking out longboxes want around the $50/70/100+ range..

On 10/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, littledoom said:

It is because majority selling or bulking out longboxes want around the $50/70/100+ range..

$100+ a long box....you ain't getting that where I am, going rate is probably closer to $50.   I have a guy picking up the bulk for 20 cents a piece; there's decent stuff in there, minor keys, etc. but it's not worth my time to try and sell them for $1 piece - I'll let the guys that setup at shows do that. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:52 AM, spreads said:

Haven't been buying much lately, but I still keep my eyes open....saw an ad yesterday (50 minute drive from my house), of 2,000 comics for $550.  The pictures weren't promising but there were a few ASMs, SSM 1 and some other titles so I figured it would be worth it based on bulk rates alone.  Met the guy at his old farmhouse his parents own, right away (the three boxes and two tote bags) I knew there wasn't 2k comics.  He was receptive and told me to go through it, as I start looking through the first tote, I see low grade ASM 300 and 101. 

I didn't bother going through any of the others boxes, I told him this is fine.  I could have definitely negotiated lower, but I didn't have time to go through them nor would I have felt right had I found some real big books after beating him up at an already good price.  Chatted for maybe another 20 minutes, left my business card then hit the road.  Went through all them yesterday, as expected the rest of the comics (about 1k total) is almost entirely bulk with a handful of maybe a few 5-10 books.  Everything that isn't pictured below is going to be bulked out dirt cheap.....the ASMs are low grade, they have a 'gritty' feel to them of being worn down from years without bags/boards.  

IMG-0668.jpg

IMG-0667.jpg

IMG-0666.jpg

IMG-0670.jpg

IMG-0672.jpg

IMG-0665.jpg

Bagged and boarded some of these last night, turns out the gritty feeling is dirt.  I can't believe how much dirt/soot it is - the goblin for example which looks like mold is all dirt that easily wiped away.  

On 10/7/2022 at 8:30 AM, spreads said:

$100+ a long box....you ain't getting that where I am, going rate is probably closer to $50.   I have a guy picking up the bulk for 20 cents a piece; there's decent stuff in there, minor keys, etc. but it's not worth my time to try and sell them for $1 piece - I'll let the guys that setup at shows do that. 

Yeah, five years ago around here, at estate sales and auctions, I could still get longs for even $25-$35. These days it has been more like $50-75, on the rare occasion I even have the chance to buy them. That's the worst part. I wouldn't mind paying more, I just have so much more competition. I'm hoping that the 1099ks and the general market "downturn" will scare off some of the fly by night folks, and I can start finding books again. Aside from collections I've bought from friends and acquaintances, I haven't bought a sizeable collection in the wild for over a year and a half. Just too many people out there that apparently have more money and time than I do!

On 10/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, spreads said:

I’m with you. I’ve been at it a LONG time. The work and storage space this takes is just not worth it to me.

I really commend you guys that are out everywhere hunting and buying. It is HARD work. I know. Everything you are doing is what I did for many years.

Now days, I have other interests. I am more that happy to enjoy your scores.

Not saying I don’t still do it too but now I have limited my focus a lot. I’d rather have one box of great stuff than 20 boxes of just OK stuff. It has always been mostly about the “hunt”!