• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,850 posts in this topic

lol Yeah, I imagine a deal between a guy selling his comics to an antique shop would be like watching two blind guys describing a sunset to each other. Antique shops have been pretty barren in my travels. If I see one more stack of ratty 70's cartoon books with price stickers on the actual books I'm going to smash an oak night table.

I believe that no one should reward laziness. A big part of being successful at business is knowing more than the person next to you. If they're just for you great. If they're for resale that's great too. Either way, good job doing the WORK of driving there, digging them out, and having the knowledge to make a good buying decision.

Nicely expressed. And as far as antique shops go, you can be pretty much assured they paid maybe 50 cents or a buck for that that $1000 book they are selling for $10.

Dude was too lazy to look em up or sell em on ebay. I see no problem here.

Exactly, just like the time you sold your ASM 129 for $2......because you were too lazy to research it. :baiting:

Why do I have to keep explaining this?

THE LCS OWNER SAID HE PAID HALF VALUE. HE GAVE ME $2 FOR A $200 BOOK. HE LIED.

Had you done YOUR due research you would have KNOWN he was LYING.

You are correct

Exactly, just like the time you sold your ASM 129 for $2......because you were too lazy to research it. :baiting:

You are correct

Why, thank you. :)

You are correct

Why, thank you. :)

(worship)

Bought a Lego Potter Hogwart's (4842) this evening.

Not really my cup of tea (Lego's in general), but impressed with how detailed they get.

Got a good deal, but they told me it was complete.

Though a ton is included, I definitely got scammed by a kid and his family.

AHAHAHAAHH

Patrick

He did nothing wrong per se.... but I mean what if the seller was a kid who didn't realize what he had. Would you take advantage? Or a poor old couple who put them out for sale for their son who has cancer to try and raise money for a doctor bill. Would you maybe say..."hey...I think these are worth alot more than what you are asking...are you sure you want to part with them for 1 dollar each? " surely you could make a deal and pay them half of what they are worth instead of paying 1 dollar for walking dead 19 in near mint condition and you'd walk away with the comics and a clear conscience.

It is screwing someone out of a lot of money but you're right it's their fault. Yes sellers should research stuff but not everyone is knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

He did nothing wrong per se.... but I mean what if the seller was a kid who didn't realize what he had. Would you take advantage? Or a poor old couple who put them out for sale for their son who has cancer to try and raise money for a doctor bill. Would you maybe say..."hey...I think these are worth alot more than what you are asking...are you sure you want to part with them for 1 dollar each? " surely you could make a deal and pay them half of what they are worth instead of paying 1 dollar for walking dead 19 in near mint condition and you'd walk away with the comics and a clear conscience.

It is screwing someone out of a lot of money but you're right it's their fault. Yes sellers should research stuff but not everyone is knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

What if your kid is about die of cancer because you can't afford the treatment, and you just stopped at the yard sale to pick up some cheap comics for him to read while he's going through chemo? Is it ok then to pay legal for currency to an adult for the asking price for a mass produced group of pages with words on them, then sell that same book for an agreed upon price for legal currency to another adult. Then use that money to save the kid's life? Is that ok with everyone? What if the Joker put a bomb on two boats in the harbor and made you choose between buying a comic for under value and telling the seller the approximate fair value?

To me, I realize I can't know everyone's story or situation for buyer or seller, so I have a tough time judging them, and have a tough time understanding why so many will rush to judge them. Don't lie, honor your word, follow the law. I think that's the most any of us can or should expect. If you want to go out of your way to help, do it, no one is stopping you or saying you shouldn't. But if you're doing it so you can feel superior to or judge others with differing priorities....

Edited by Revat

Every now and then I get lucky on Craigslist. Hmmm, that sounds dirtier than I meant it.

Anyway, I answered a "selling some comics" ad, it had the usual big cardboard box with books haphazardly stacked inside. On top was a MSH #15 and some 80's drek, the ad stated "2 large boxes of comics bronze to late 80's". I shot an email over basically offering $100 for the lot of them, total crapshoot but I was feeling lucky. To my surprise the return email said come on over and get them, $100 would be fine.

I grabbed the two boxes without even looking inside, he also through in a large loose stack of comics. Turns out it was the last few books from a departed Uncles collection. When I got home I hadn't gotten five books into the first pile when I came across 1,2, and 3 of Star Wars all 9.6 or better, followed by 3 more copies each of 2 and 3. All first prints bagged and boarded, judging by the color of the bags they may have been in there since new. Turns out Uncle was a collector of mostly first appearances and first issues, Star Hunters #1, Ka-zar #1, MSH #18, some silver age romance, bronze horror, Marvel Tales run from 30-90, most books NM and apparently unread. There was even a copy of Tales of the Leather Nun #1. There was some of the usual drek but out of the 500 or so books there was 170 quality pickings.

The better copies of Star Wars are off to CGC today, I will throw a couple pics up of the haul later tonight. Super happy but the seller did say one thing that made me cringe: "I sold off all the good ones already, there was complete Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and Thor runs..." doh!

Edited by 427Impaler

Every now and then I get lucky on Craigslist. Hmmm, that sounds dirtier than I meant it.

Anyway, I answered a "selling some comics" ad, it had the usual big cardboard box with books haphazardly stacked inside. On top was a MSH #15 and some 80's drek, the ad stated "2 large boxes of comics bronze to late 80's". I shot an email over basically offering $100 for the lot of them, total crapshoot but I was feeling lucky. To my surprise the return email said come on over and get them, $100 would be fine.

I grabbed the two boxes without even looking inside, he also through in a large loose stack of comics. Turns out it was the last few books from a departed Uncles collection. When I got home I hadn't gotten five books into the first pile when I came across 1,2, and 3 of Star Wars all 9.6 or better, followed by 3 more copies each of 2 and 3. All first prints bagged and boarded, judging by the color of the bags they may have been in there since new. Turns out Uncle was a collector of mostly first appearances and first issues, Star Hunters #1, Ka-zar #1, MSH #18, some silver age romance, bronze horror, Marvel Tales run from 30-90, most books NM and apparently unread. There was even a copy of Tales of the Leather Nun #1. There was some of the usual drek but out of the 500 or so books there was 170 quality pickings.

The better copies of Star Wars are off to CGC today, I will throw a couple pics up of the haul later tonight. Super happy but the seller did say one thing that made me cringe: "I sold off all the good ones already, there was complete Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and Thor runs..." doh!

Now that's a nice surprise.

Not really my cup of tea (Lego in general), but impressed with how detailed they get.

AHAHAHAAHH

Patrick

Fixed that for you.

Great set you picked up!

Not really my cup of tea (Lego in general), but impressed with how detailed they get.

AHAHAHAAHH

Patrick

Fixed that for you.

Great set you picked up!

I'm surprised how much lego, playmobil and fisher price vinatge stuff goes for.