• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
17 17

5,128 posts in this topic

I dunno.. Tough decision for me.. I love the Tec 29 cover better, but Bat 1 features the 1st app. of Joker and Catwoman.. hm

Agreed the first joker is key, but i think how batman looked in 29 compared to bat 1 is just so cool. He didnt talk much looked skinny with long bat ears and mysterious, but in bat 1 he's smiling and witty... i dont know where im going with this lol what i meant to say is it's cool to see batman where he started out as (looks and very violent compared to fun loving batman)

outside of 1st Joker and the yellow cover, I'm Tec 29 with no Robin all the way. I like the "Dark" in Dark Knight. Plus, the Tec 29 first part (of 2) story is the best in the Pre Robin run...Tec 29 way scarcer than Bat 1 too..

Edited by Primetime

Great story, Mac Man!

Seems that this was one of his favorite Batman books and if I had it in front of me, I could tell you which panels he enjoyed doing most.
Any chance you can share those with us? (Page and panel number citations would be greatly appreciated!)

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about what he said too, Forrest. Plus, you should get it down before you forget it!

+11111

Ok guys--I'll keep it as brief as an English prof can... so here goes:

First, I gave up on the Philadelphia show in JUN 09 because my wife wasn't thrilled with my being so far away even though ALL of her friends and family were around for the baby shower. Bottomline, you don't argue with a 7 1/2-month pregnant woman.

Second, I forfeited Baltimore in OCT 09 because my wife moved the baptismal date to Columbus weekend. You don't argue with God about baptisms. Bad jujus.

Third, my wife made plans for a "Mommies Weekend Away" with her girlfriends this past September leaving me with the boy all weekend. No problem I say, but I'm going to the NY Comic Con. She agreed. Top of my list: Meet Jerry Robinson. No need to explain why--if you collect Golden Age Batman / Detective Comics, you get it. Any other signatures were secondary (including Stan Lee since I already had 5 up to this point). There were some varying reports of whether he was attending or not, but with about 2 weeks before the show, he's officially "ON!"

Now, I have to give many kudos to Sha (skypinkblu) for directing me to where Jerry was outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Any of you at the NY show this fall know how hectic it was and how artists who weren't scheduled to be there suddenly appeared (*ahem* Joe Simon) and often, they were being shuttled all over without any real notifications being put up. I really wish a better job of this was done as I hate to think of these old timers getting jockeyed back and forth. But I digress.

I walked over to the Comic Connect table where Jerry was seated, not far from Rick's Wall of Shock and Awe (because if you saw it and weren't shocked or in awe... your name is Rick). On his right side there were the original art covers for Detective Comics 69 and Superman 14. Let me just say I own a really nice presenting low grade copy of Superman and the feeling of "cool" still eeks out of the mylar as I pull the book out and look at it. So you can't imagine the amazement of seeing the real deal right there. Now, like other boardies... I was both a little surprised that no one was there with Jerry--aside from his personal assistant. I had an opportunity to talk to the only surviving person who helped mold Batman into who we've grown to know and love--I mean, wow. Here was this near-90 year old man, grown frail with age and yet a giant in the industry from one decade to the next.

While I fumbled a bit with taking some of my book (and perhaps my words), I asked if he had a few minutes and wouldn't mind talking with a long-time fan. He graciously said he'd love to and I assured the assistant he should shove me along if need be. When I showed him my Batman 2, Batman 11, and Detective Comics 37, I asked if he would mind signing them--the Batman issues on the cover and the Tec on the splash (since the cover is a repro). At this point, he quietly asked if he could look through the books, where the assistant quietly said that Jerry probably would want to make sure he actually worked on the book). At this point I'm sure my hands waved a little bit (since I talk with my hands) and emphatically reversed the question to please read my books, "How many times does a fan get to have a creator look through his personal issues of a comics?" The assistant then whispered again "Not many collectors like their books 'handled.'"

Interestingly, he didn't spend a lot of time looking through the Batman 2, other than to say something along the lines that it was an early Joker book. I can't remember if said more there or not, but I don't think so. He very quietly and slowly thumbed through the Detective Comics 37. I would have loved to know what he was thinking as he read through that book as he probably spent the most time looking through each page--I distinctly remember him taking his time twice on the splash page, the second time which he only said, "Yes, I worked on this book. Inks." That was it and he signed on the splash for me. I hope you don't mind my speculating (since I really shouldn't--breaks a ton of rules of English teachers / students), but I'd like to think he was looking back on his first couple issues of working for Bob Kane and with Bill Finger. Man...

So then it was on to the last book I had for him, my Batman 11. Now this one perked him up a bit. "Ah.." And he started thumbing through this one much more briskly--good thing this one is probably in the best shape too as I think a few chip from the other two might've popped off! :eek: First, I can tell you the cover was one he spent a LOT of time working on. He told me so. But it seems they knew Joker was going to be big which is why he was on the cover so early on. Second, and this is the funny part---I thought he'd have tagged out the Joker story. I mean, he pointed out the popularity of Joker, right? Instead, he went right to "Paid in Full"--The District Attorney story, and right to the very end of that story. That was his favorite part, as I watched him point at it and smile. Jerry didn't say a whole lot, but his facial expressions spoke volumes. Opening these comics in just a short few moments felt like opening up some history books.

At this point, two girls came up to the table, picked up a copy of his $5 prints, asked if they were free, and quickly walked away when told they were not. I don't even think they knew who he was. :sorry: I shook his hand (again), thanked him so much for the time, and wanted him to know from one of his many fans how much we appreciated all of his work. We took a quick picture and I wished him the best.

Afterwards (I believe--or perhaps it was actually beforehand... I'm a little fuzzy on this), Jon/PointFive, John/Piper, and I had the opportunity to hear him (along with John Romita Sr and a Mad Magazine artist) speak at the Legends of the Gold and Silver Age discussion. It's in my NYC COMIC CON report in general if you're interested. But it was a real pleasure to say the least.

SO there you have it all! I hope not too boring nor too fan boyish of me. But in my defense, not only am I comic collecting nerd but I'm also a huge Literature fan who is taking an active role in incorporating aspects of American graphic literature into my professional studies as a doctoral student and college teacher. This stuff is my passion and profession... so it's really not hard for me to go on and on about it. lol

Ok---bed time!

no secret that tec 29 is my Fav. tec (over 31, etc)... I desire 27 more, due to origin, but all things equal, 29 delivers it "all" for m...

now, naturally, cover only, batman 1 blows...but it is the content that makes it "key" to the batman collector...

so, total composition and importance, it is batman 1...cumulative enjoyment and hunt factor, tec 29

no secret that tec 29 is my Fav. tec (over 31, etc)... I desire 27 more, due to origin, but all things equal, 29 delivers it "all" for m...

now, naturally, cover only, batman 1 blows...but it is the content that makes it "key" to the batman collector...

so, total composition and importance, it is batman 1...cumulative enjoyment and hunt factor, tec 29

couldn't agree more.

If both are available you buy the #29 knowing that you will always have a shot at another Batman #1

I feel this question is appropriate for the Pre-Robin Tec thread so...

Do you guys feel that the incorporation of Dr. Hugo Strange into the plot of "Arkham City" will have any impact on the demand or value of Tec #36?

For those of you who may not be familiar, I posted a link to the trailer in another thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t-1i3Bqj0U

I've also read rumors regarding Strange being featured in the next Batman film. I imagine that having the character being featured in a film would have a greater impact than the video game; but either or both would still give the character much greater exposure, thus bringing him into the mainstream.

I don't think the game would have any effect. I don't think mainstream game players will pick up difficult to find and pricey GA books.

lol

I must be one of the select few. Perhaps that's why I get a kick out of seeing nods to the classic GA comics in games like Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

my guess/feeling is no effect at all, in demand or price ...as stated, the book already has more demand than supply, and no video game is going to affect that (thumbs u