• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Seeding Round

439 posts in this topic

I just love some of the answers I've gotten from CGC when calling about a submission:

Me: "Yeah, my books were graded on 03/01 and here it is 03/16 and they haven't been shipped yet?"

CGC Rep: "Books are quite often held 2-3 weeks after grading but we will still ship close to the stated time on the website."

(Those weren't his exact words but that's pretty close).

Yep, as long as you meet that metric it's A-OK. (thumbs u

:facepalm:

I just love some of the answers I've gotten from CGC when calling about a submission:

Me: "Yeah, my books were graded on 03/01 and here it is 03/16 and they haven't been shipped yet?"

CGC Rep: "Books are quite often held 2-3 weeks after grading but we will still ship close to the stated time on the website."

(Those weren't his exact words but that's pretty close).

Yep, as long as you meet that metric it's A-OK. (thumbs u

:facepalm:

I'd like to know why is that. What if I help payment 2-3 weeks after receiving the books?

Doesn't make any sense.

The issue isn't with the graders. Think about it; how long does it take to grade a comic? Likely less than 1 minute. On the other hand, how long does it take to encapsulate a slab? Inner well and outer well? I have no idea, but I'd guess around 5 minutes. So, the current bottleneck is with encapsulation. That's why you're seeing lag times between graded and quality control, then shipped.

CGC needs to buy more encapsulation machines, but I imagine that's a pretty hefty capital investment, and they may or may not have space for the additional machine(s).

I'd like to believe they take more than 1 minute to grade a comic...

Maybe a modern 9.8 book would take 1 minute.

In my best Ian Malcolm, as played by the incomparable Jeff Goldblum, "Ah, now eventually you do plan to have comics on your, on your comics grading contest, right? Hello?"

[taps the camera lens and breathes on it]

And this is just the seeding round.

Those seeds are gonna sprout by the time the books get back

:signfunny:

:news:

2014 March Madness April Aberration Comic Grading Tournament - Seeding Round

:news:

It was announced early this morning that the March Madness Comic Grading Tournament has changed it's name. Beginning today it will be known as the April Aberration Comic Grading Tournament. Sources say that this name change was instituted to reflect the "changing times". We will have more on this fast breaking story as the details are made available. Stay tuned!

coffeescreen.gif