• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw the new Captain America, The Winter Soldier

525 posts in this topic

The audience in my screening were all shocked& gasped when Bucky was revealed as The Winter Soldier (but us comic book nerds already knew his identity lol )

Did any of you get the same reaction from audiences as well?

lol yeah someone in the audiences said "OMG it's is best friend"

This movie was great. I saw it thursaday night...it's right up there with the top CBMs and other genres of movies. Id say it's right there with the new dredd, batman begins and iron man 1.

To anyone who says this is on par with any part of the batman trilogy, you are just an unabashed, marvel fanboy.

So you couldn't possibly be an unabashed, DC fanboy.

Many on the boards hold this view (it's been posted ad nauseum): DK1 and DK2 are good flicks that have their own respective issues, while DK3 is truly up there as one of the all-time best comic book films. I think many here would concur that CAWS was on a DK3 (and IM1 and Avengers) level.

The audience in my screening were all shocked& gasped when Bucky was revealed as The Winter Soldier (but us comic book nerds already knew his identity lol )

Same experience in my theatre, a lot of collective gasping. THAT, my friends, is movie magic when you get folks that know very little about Captain America and yet the plot holds their attention and they become genuinely surprised.

So all the players are in place for a Death of Captain America and Civil War-like story to come.
So all the players are in place for a Death of Captain America and Civil War-like story to come.

It sure appears that way. The Civil War was a neat story line, but it never felt right to me, I never knew who to root for and root against.

I think that was the point of the story, both sides made a good argument - personally Tony Stark was a d-bag in that storyline IMHO

Same experience in my theatre, a lot of collective gasping. THAT, my friends, is movie magic when you get folks that know very little about Captain America and yet the plot holds their attention and they become genuinely surprised.

Agreed.

Saw it today, I think it was better than the first one also. To anyone who says this is on par with any part of the batman trilogy, you are just an unabashed, marvel fanboy. It was a good, entertaining movie, my kids left the theater happy, and I didn't feel like I got screwed out of my money. I will certainly buy it, when it comes out on blu-ray, because it is a fun, entertaining movie. I don't consider it a very deep, or thought provoking movie. If you think my opinion is bad, I read a review the other day, that completely torches this movie.

The Nolan Batman trilogy has some massive problems with story, pacing and overall character portrayal that are hard to ignore.

The thing is, DC movies have been so bad, or so disappointing for so long that the Nolan flicks were a quantum leap over what had immediately preceded it. Relative to DC flicks the Nolan pics were masterpieces. Relative the the other Marvel movies, Winter Soldier is a solid film amongst several solid films. Putting it above the other Marvel movies is saying something.

I will say there was FAR less to complain about in Winter Soldier than either of the final two Nolan films.

I love the Batman movies, but take Heath out of his role, and they wouldn't be viewed the way they are by so many. They are great films done in the right style, but his performance was an opus, and tends to blur the lines between great film and great acting.

Just came back from the movies, and I agree with most in here, it was a great movie. I don't care for Captain America much at all but this movie was pretty awesome.

The first Captain movie was kinda boring. In fact, I fell asleep and never actually finished it. Maybe it was good but never cared to finish it. This one was great and yes, Scarlett was amazing as Black Widow.

Just got home after seeing it. I thought it was fantastic. One of Marvel's best without a doubt.

I give it three thumbs up. (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

To anyone who says this is on par with any part of the batman trilogy, you are just an unabashed, marvel fanboy.

Many on the boards hold this view (it's been posted ad nauseum): DK1 and DK2 are good flicks that have their own respective issues, while DK3 is truly up there as one of the all-time best comic book films. I think many here would concur that CAWS was on a DK3 (and IM1 and Avengers) level.

In my opinion for live action comic book movies, iron man 1 and the dark knight rises, are the 2 best films made to date. I do prefer DC for comic books, but I like alot of the stuff marvel does. Obviously, if you take out the Nolan films, and the first Keaton batman, there has been lots of bad for sure.

The Batman trilogy, will be regarded as one the greatest trilogy's in cinema history. That has been stated by people who work in the industry, not comic book marks like me and you guys. Can anyone name another completed trilogy from the comic book world, that you can honestly say stands toe to toe with the Batman trilogy? Iron Man? I loved the first one, enjoyed the second, and the third......well can't hit a home run every time. The first spider-man trilogy? Please, #3 is the only reason you should have to state.

Bottom line is this, it's an opinion, what movie you do and don't like. Last time I checked, we all have a right to that opinion, unless someone comes to the cgc boards, then it's " your opinion isn't like mine, you don't know anything".

In my opinion for live action comic book movies, iron man 1 and the dark knight rises, are the 2 best films made to date. I do prefer DC for comic books, but I like alot of the stuff marvel does. Obviously, if you take out the Nolan films, and the first Keaton batman, there has been lots of bad for sure.

The Batman trilogy, will be regarded as one the greatest trilogy's in cinema history. That has been stated by people who work in the industry, not comic book marks like me and you guys. Can anyone name another completed trilogy from the comic book world, that you can honestly say stands toe to toe with the Batman trilogy? Iron Man? I loved the first one, enjoyed the second, and the third......well can't hit a home run every time. The first spider-man trilogy? Please, #3 is the only reason you should have to state.

Bottom line is this, it's an opinion, what movie you do and don't like. Last time I checked, we all have a right to that opinion, unless someone comes to the cgc boards, then it's " your opinion isn't like mine, you don't know anything".

You made some good points until your last paragraph. I've got a 9:30 a.m. show time tomorrow, I'll report back with my thoughts.

Would you disagree with that statement? You have never seen people act in such a manner on the boards before?

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the movie. It is an entertaining movie for sure, and as I read here or on the web somewhere, it doesn't drag. Then again at like 2:15 it is shorter than some of the other movies too.

Enjoy the trailers, maleficent, has always been my favorite Disney villain, and with Angelina playing her! My god, that's like hitting the daily double. Still trying to figure out, why Kelsey Grammar is in expandables 3?

Would you disagree with that statement? You have never seen people act in such a manner on the boards before?

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the movie. It is an entertaining movie for sure, and as I read here or on the web somewhere, it doesn't drag. Then again at like 2:15 it is shorter than some of the other movies too.

Enjoy the trailers, maleficent, has always been my favorite Disney villain, and with Angelina playing her! My god, that's like hitting the daily double. Still trying to figure out, why Kelsey Grammar is in expandables 3?

What!? Was he sitting at the tough guy bar quoting Tolstoy to Sly?