• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, stormflora said:

To be fair, it's kind of on the buyer to comparison shop and ignore sellers who upcharge items. It's obvious that these people who overcharge will almost never cut down their price by much, so trying to haggle with them would only waste both parties' time.

That's a valid point - I tend to have that attitude with most sellers in life (comic books or otherwise) but there's always the counter-point: if a seller is big enough and has a lot of comics in his store, he may not have time to price adjust every item.

In my perfect world, the seller gets my offer - he looks up previous sales on Ebay and says "That's a fair offer but..."

A) I have too much into the book, I can't take it. or,

B) Looks like the book has moved down in value, based on what I have into it, I guess I can sell at FMV.

Of course, I'm living in the Land of Make Believe thinking that way, but I still try.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's a valid point - I tend to have that attitude with most sellers in life (comic books or otherwise) but there's always the counter-point: if a seller is big enough and has a lot of comics in his store, he may not have time to price adjust every item.

In my perfect world, the seller gets my offer - he looks up previous sales on Ebay and says "That's a fair offer but..."

A) I have too much into the book, I can't take it. or,

B) Looks like the book has moved down in value, based on what I have into it, I guess I can sell at FMV.

Of course, I'm living in the Land of Make Believe thinking that way, but I still try.

Yeah, in that case, I'd just open up the Best Offer feature across all listings and let people offer whatever they want. Plus, I can set minimums too, which would auto-decline low offers.

I think the only times I might ask for an item discount is if I was planning to buy many issues from the same seller. They are more inclined to budge that way.

All in all, the biggest issue are the eBay and PayPal fees. I can't blame sellers for hating eBay's ridiculous commissions, which eats into profits heavily, especially when they're only making a buck or two per non-key issue. Just not worth the time and effort.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, stormflora said:

All in all, the biggest issue are the eBay and PayPal fees. I can't blame sellers for hating eBay's ridiculous commissions, which eats into profits heavily, especially when they're only making a buck or two per non-key issue. Just not worth the time and effort.

That's when you have to tweak your business model. Don't sell things lower than a certain price so it's "worth your time" to sell it. Anything lower, put into lots to make up for the "time" difference. I think it was Flying Donut who has said multiple times on the forum that if you can't make money selling comic books, you're not doing something right somewhere.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

Consider this response under the following or similar conditions. 

Recently Sold AVG = $500

Your List Price = $450

Offer comes in at $25

Response: "I am sorry but I could not accept that even if I had a meth habit to support."

On 11/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I would say the seller should put a threshold on his offer. Is that really a "low ball"? That's more like a "Please Donate To Me" offer.

I don't use Best Offer because I don't have the time to do the back and forth, and I probably wouldn't anyway if I had the time. I reduce prices on a schedule instead.

But I still get offers through messaging, which eBay actually encourages buyers to do if Best Offer is not present (thanks for nothing, eBay). Some of these are ridiculous. You can't set a threshold on messages. 

On 11/26/2023 at 5:47 AM, Key Largo Comics said:

He won it from you or you won it from him? I'm only concerned with blocking shady buyers, not so much sellers. Thanks.

To clarify, he won from me and never paid. He also sells so he should know better, esp. since it's in his user ID.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:28 AM, Corona smith said:

If you’re blocking someone for making a lowball offer you should also block yourself. Why? Because you can set a minimum best offer and avoid lowball offers. 

Even if you don't set up your listings to accept offers, potential "buyers" can still send a message and ask if you'd take less than the listed amount.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:28 AM, Corona smith said:

If you’re blocking someone for making a lowball offer you should also block yourself. Why? Because you can set a minimum best offer and avoid lowball offers. 

You can always set a minimum offer amount, auto-rejected below that. 

I can see no practical reason to ever block yourself. Totally useless exercise. 

Hypothetical scenario...

You see an item that you want. It's got a Buy-it-Now of $40 from an established seller.

It's the lowest price currently on eBay and slightly higher than what the item usually sells for by about $5.

There are 6-7 total available. There are no condition variances...they're all in the same condition. It's not a very common item.

You offer $5. 

Should you be blocked in addition to the obvious decline of your offer?

On 12/1/2023 at 10:17 PM, mattn792 said:

Someone today offered me $20 for a Silver Age book that I've reasonably priced at $90.  I countered at $89.99.  If the system would've let me, I'd have countered at $900. 

Snark gets met with snark. 

I don't sell on Ebay anymore, but I probably would have sent a message asking if they would be able to pay immediately if I accept their offer.  And then block them before they could respond.