• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

CGC really needs to stop placing comic books in inner wells that do not fit properly.

01065465-B13E-4AE5-B79D-12B222209945.thumb.jpeg.dc268b62b6df3abb73a937ec83efaf00.jpeg

The top corner used to be beautiful.

Spoiler

16EF6CD7-662C-4710-B65B-979418A66290.thumb.png.d3f8f7e8a0a1a02e7145eda6c32a4653.png

This is the second book I’ve had this year that’s arrived damaged due to shaken comic syndrome.

B2CC0046-78BA-46BA-BF1C-7280D224A785.thumb.jpeg.f62a0d8d1ff117ef70ddeeb580078670.jpeg

The before and after on this staple is brutal. 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:44 AM, CGC Mike said:

Yes. 

I actually think this is an appropriate response by CGC.  (thumbsu  Heritage is technically the seller.  As such, they are 100% responsible for properly describing that item in their auction listing.  Heritage should have inspected it closely and told the consignor that he/she has two choices: (1) have the book reholdered prior to being imaged/listed; or (2) accept that the associated listing will include a suitable caveat/disclosure ("Prospective bidders should be aware that the CGC holder contains stray plastic shards").

The seller is always responsible for accurately describing the item being offered for sale:preach:  It doesn't matter whether it's a raw vintage comic on eBaay (that may already have had a dozen previous owners) or a newly-certified specimen on Heritage.  One man's opinion.  :foryou:

On 4/14/2023 at 10:29 AM, zzutak said:

I actually think this is an appropriate response by CGC.  (thumbsu  Heritage is technically the seller.  As such, they are 100% responsible for properly describing that item in their auction listing.  Heritage should have inspected it closely and told the consignor that he/she has two choices: (1) have the book reholdered prior to being imaged/listed; or (2) accept that the associated listing will include a suitable caveat/disclosure ("Prospective bidders should be aware that the CGC holder contains stray plastic shards").

The seller is always responsible for accurately describing the item being offered for sale:preach:  It doesn't matter whether it's a raw vintage comic on eBaay (that may already have had a dozen previous owners) or a newly-certified specimen on Heritage.  One man's opinion.  :foryou:

Apologist :baiting:

On 4/14/2023 at 11:07 AM, Iceman399 said:

CGC can't be serious about this can they? 

Hey let me shoot my foot! 

Just keep :censored:customers off until they give up on the product like many have already done.  These kind of decisions have me rooting for CGC to fail. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

@CGC Mike so how long until cgc denies claims based on the holder being damaged?

CGC Holders. This Guarantee does not apply to Collectibles that have been removed from a CGC holder, or if the CGC holder containing a Collectible has been damaged, unsealed, tampered with, or altered. The determination as to whether this has occurred shall be at the sole reasonable discretion of Guarantor. Further, this Guarantee does not apply to counterfeit or tampered CGC holders.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just keep :censored:customers off until they give up on the product like many have already done.  These kind of decisions have me rooting for CGC to fail. 

It's absolute stupidity. I know it's not Mike's decision and he's been our go between. However man oh man upper management is really trying to put cgc in the ground time after time

This actually has my blood boiling. 

CGC has not graded items loose with a book such as 3Dglasses because it may damage and dislodge. 

Slab it with shards of plastic... No problem at all... Cause paper glasses are so much more harmful than sharp shards of plastic. :wavingwhiteflag::ohnoez:

On 4/14/2023 at 11:23 AM, Iceman399 said:

This actually has my blood boiling. 

CGC has not graded items loose with a book such as 3Dglasses because it may damage and dislodge. 

Slab it with shards of plastic... No problem at all... Cause paper glasses are so much more harmful than sharp shards of plastic. :wavingwhiteflag::ohnoez:

I’ve got a slab that needs a ME

It’s the highest graded copy, but completely unsellable as is(debris, scratching, smudges).   Beyond frustrating :censored:

I listed about 59 ASM CGC slabs up on ebay about a week or so ago and had to remove about 6 of them as I noticed one had a slight shifting inner well inside the slab so one by one went through them all and 6 had slight shifts. I guess this is fairly "NORMAL" these days with returns from what I've read but I can't put books up with something like that going on and send them to buyers. Guess I'll relist those with moving inner wells and add that in the description. Such random issues with books these days it's mind blowing. 

Then I have this stunner that I've not seen happen prior. With all being said and done I guess I should have been more happy to have my name slabbed inside a CGC case with Todd McFarlane not being an artist and all but how it happened to slip by Quality Control is far beyond me........

That DM SS opp that popped up quickly had me resubbing this back in to get that cursed thing out of the well at any rate ;-)

6014974A-E8E0-491D-AD8E-A361035B90C7.thumb.jpeg.398235a412b02b610ddfcfce08fc96fd.jpeg

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 4/14/2023 at 3:07 AM, wardevil0 said:

Here's the video of Todd himself saying explicitly that he WOULD sign Venom comics because he created the character.  There are a few specific comics that he apparently won't sign, because Marvel went back and re-used art he had previously done without a new agreement, but this isn't that case.

Is that the same though?  So Todd would sign anything with the Venom symbiote?  (Thinking out loud, I realize my question is irrelevant in the context of this thread).

On 4/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, ExNihilo said:

Is that the same though?  So Todd would sign anything with the Venom symbiote?  (Thinking out loud, I realize my question is irrelevant in the context of this thread).

It hardly makes sense at this level. May as well sign SW8 or ASM252 because of the black costume at that point. But I guess it made sense to Todd.  At least his signature is so erratic no one can claim it's an autopen or a stamp...

On 4/14/2023 at 10:29 AM, zzutak said:

You are absolutely 100% correct, of course. I'm not sure it answers the question, though. At least, not the question I have ... "Is the policy right?"  Nobody on Earth (including CGC and all of it's employees) can think this policy is the right thing to do. In fact, if I were a cynical man, I might theorize that this is CGC's way of blocking people from returning MEs in order to have CGC fix their own screwups. Kind of an alternative to improving their QC. Pretty scummy policy, if you ask me. But par for the course for CGC.

On 4/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gaard said:

You are absolutely 100% correct, of course. I'm not sure it answers the question, though. At least, not the question I have ... "Is the policy right?"  Nobody on Earth (including CGC and all of it's employees) can think this policy is the right thing to do. In fact, if I were a cynical man, I might theorize that this is CGC's way of blocking people from returning MEs in order to have CGC fix their own screwups. Kind of an alternative to improving their QC. Pretty scummy policy, if you ask me. But par for the course for CGC.

You would think that CGC would care that all these sub par slabs are out there.  You know....making their company look it’s run by a bunch of incompetent muppets.  You would think they’d take the opportunity to remove these defective slabs from circulation. You would think that....but you’d be wrong. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 4/14/2023 at 9:55 AM, The Lions Den said:

:facepalm:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't understand why many of these common labels aren't just hardcoded at this point.  There should be a drop down like:

BS = "Blank sketch variant"
SE-Midtown = "Midtown Store Exclusive variant"
SE-JSC = "J. Scott Campbell Store Exclusive variant"
MAN = "Manufacturing Error"

I mean, you could include search functions as obviously there would be hundreds of labels.  But literally, search and click, no typing required unless you need to enter a new label or if a particular designation requires it.  If you have a repeated action, it can be automated in someway.  Saves time and money in the long run.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:33 PM, ExNihilo said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't understand why many of these common labels aren't just hardcoded at this point.  There should be a drop down like:

BS = "Blank sketch variant"
SE-Midtown = "Midtown Store Exclusive variant"
SE-JSC = "J. Scott Campbell Store Exclusive variant"
MAN = "Manufacturing Error"

I mean, you could include search functions as obviously there would be hundreds of labels.  But literally, search and click, no typing required unless you need to enter a new label or if a particular designation requires it.  If you have a repeated action, it can be automated in someway.  Saves time and money in the long run.

It's not so embarrassing that this happened, it's that no one caught it and corrected it. Spelling errors were always pretty common at CGC, but the lack of QC was not. 

Unfortunately, times have changed...

On 4/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

It's not so embarrassing that this happened, it's that no one caught it and corrected it. Spelling errors were always pretty common at CGC, but the lack of QC was not. 

Unfortunately, times have changed...

Agree that QC has been an ongoing issue, but if the problem can be addressed and fixed at the input level, then it's one less thing for QC to consider.  At that point, QC can focus more on "is this the correct label" instead of both "is this the correct label and is this spelled correctly".  QC should have a checklist much like how cars have "multi-point inspections".  That won't necessarily correct everything as it's still subject to human error, but there is definitely room for efficiency improvements.  Given the ongoing nature of these issues, it really makes me wonder what changes have actually been implemented to reduce "failure" rates.  In my occupation, I'm always thinking of how the process can be improved to make my day to day easier.  That also means what can be done to reduce costs.  The more errors that get mailed out, the more that is spent on return shipping labels, comped re-holders, and everything else that goes with it.  Just crazy that we continue to see the same (or similar) errors repeating themselves.