• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,140 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 9:33 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. All we can do is speculate. The one thing CGC rarely do is explain the aspects that are wrong in their business model. They will never, say, pop on here and explain what is going wrong in their QC model and what steps they are taking to address it. The model, to me at least, always seems to be the same - tout for as much business as humanly possible, make the product look slick and inviting, then ignore all justified criticism when things don't go right. And often, as we have seen with newton rings and case scuffs, try to normalise production failure in a way that would not be tolerated in any other business. They get away with it because they can.

The ten measly books I have in my CGC submission pile - which have been there since before the pandemic - will likely stay there now as I am reluctant to support the current model, even if it means the resale value of my books is diminished. Personally, I don't like how CGC operate. Yes, there are good and friendly people in the business, with whom you can converse. But the collective for me feels like a money making, rule asserting juggernaut with little empathy for the customer and a reducing respect for the product being encapsulated (see calling non-US comics what they aren't). 

I like this forum, the people, the knowledge contained within it and the friends I've made here. I wish CGC didn't own it. 

What you defined above can sadly be said about most large, profitable companies. Money makes the world go around, and despite the bemoaning of many, I'm willing to bet most will continue to submit. Why? Because CGC is the standard that will get them the greatest return when they sell a book. Hey, I'm just as likely to keep submitting for just this reason, unless  they really screw the pooch on my current submissions.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:52 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

People can bash the other place all they want, but Borock is on the boards. There's also a company presser posting before and afters on the boards and discussing the process.

THAT is the way to run a transparent business.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:36 AM, wombat said:

Absolutely. How in the heck would they ever catch the wrong grade label on the same book if they can't even get the right label for the book? I never even thought about that. 

It's something I've been conscious of for well over a decade. I recall getting two copies back of a book (something like a 9.2 and a 9.6) and thinking that the labels were accidentally swapped because the lower grade one looked significantly nicer than the higher one. Ever since then I've had my doubts, given the other mistakes that seem to occur regularly.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

On 8/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

It's something I've been conscious of for well over a decade. I recall getting two copies back of a book (something like a 9.2 and a 9.6) and thinking that the labels were accidentally swapped because the lower grade one looked significantly nicer than the higher one. Ever since then I've had my doubts, given the other mistakes that seem to occur regularly.

And of course I have a submission at CGC with two sets of duplicates. I pray they come back with the same grade so I don't have to forever wonder. 

My most recent shipment back had only one problem: a 2nd printing not marked as such. That's certainly no big deal compared to encapsulation damage, but you'd still think they'd try to tighten the QA up. Mechanical error shipments cost them a nontrivial amount on the shipping costs they eat for them.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:00 PM, Qalyar said:

My most recent shipment back had only one problem: a 2nd printing not marked as such. That's certainly no big deal compared to encapsulation damage, but you'd still think they'd try to tighten the QA up. Mechanical error shipments cost them a nontrivial amount on the shipping costs they eat for them.

That is a mistake that could have huge financial repercussions. I really hope we aren't at the point that we just hope we only have a small number of problems. 

On 8/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

CGC is the standard that will get them the greatest return when they sell a book. Hey, I'm just as likely to keep submitting for just this reason, unless  they really screw the pooch on my current submissions.

What about those of us who send in our raw books to be graded and then keep? Those of us who sent in our parents or grandparents books and they come back damaged? Those of us who have NO investment in your profit margins? It'd be different if profitheads had to give up some of their profit to fix damaged books owned by the every day collector. What is really being done is profiteers looking the other way when something happens to given books and encouraging wrong headed behavior.

Say what you will about the other grading companies. On their forums, there is politeness, transparency, concern and an overall happier attitude. They also aren't threatened by members posting their CGC books. All books are welcome to be shown and bought or sold.

@BlowUpTheMoon Are all those yours, or are they compiled from a Facebook group postings or the like?

If it's an online compilation, then we do have to keep in mind the problems of confirmation bias. People experiencing rare adverse events will share them widely; people experiencing common neutral events have no reason to share them.

If that's actually all stuff you've gotten back recently, then there's either a significant problem or you're under some sort of gypsy curse.