• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 3:11 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

According to GCD, the PWJ #3 cover was Potts layouts and inks and Lee pencils.  The signature Potts Lee Potts seems to support this.

I know it’s Potts pencils and Jim Lee inks. But the PWJ sold for 177k, so if you want Punisher with Jim Lee attached to it you could have bought this and saved $154,000.

I was expecting the cover to sell in the $40k area, so $23k seemed like a $17k discount to me.

Edited by Timely

On 1/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, Superhero said:

Agreed.  I was going to bid on it because its amazing but that price is miles beyond what I thought it would go for.  That is the sad thing to me.  I now have no real concept of fair market value anymore.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I was pretty surprised by the hammer on this. Great piece, and I love Nowlan, but dang. 

9F586C18-4408-4D44-89C8-5785665C8225.jpeg

I was talking to Bronty about this one being nice and he mentioned how faded it is at the bottom…but it’s not just the bottom. I wasn’t familiar with the published image so I looked up the actual poster and it’s not even a matter of the published poster just being printed darker…a lot of that piece is faded. Strange’s left leg is particularly bad when comparing to the published image. It should be solid blue yet part of it hasn’t even turned a lighter of blue it’s gone white.

Still a nice piece but something that roached would bug the hell out of me.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, Mephisto said:

I was talking to Bronty about this one being nice and he mentioned how faded it is at the bottom…but it’s not just the bottom. I wasn’t familiar with the published image so I looked up the actual poster and it’s not even a matter of the published poster just being printed darker…a lot of that piece is faded. Strange’s left leg is particularly bad when comparing to the published image. It should be solid blue yet part of it hasn’t even turned a lighter of blue it’s gone white.

Yeah, when you look at the second HA image with the borders, you can see the massive amount of fading. 
Again, very confused by price on this one. Which I guess is becoming standard. Lol

981F6851-6B79-44C9-8780-FD4DD2B8C5F8.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Mephisto said:

Wow that is rather intense. 

On 1/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, Bronty said:
On 1/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, delekkerste said:

No, it just means the Hulk #181 cover is now worth that much more 

Agreed, I think H181 cover crushes anything else known to exist.

The question in my mind is what would the ASM 252 or SW8 covers go for ?

Well, how about the OA covers for both Spidey 129 and Wrightson's classic HOS 92 because they both sure looked nice when I saw them a couple of years ago?  :cloud9:

On 1/13/2022 at 2:49 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Yes, OA is the new hot thing for Chinese billionaires doing off-shore money laundering. Some might wonder why comic art verse traditional things like real-estate or fine art, but it makes sense once you realize this is the result of the cultural export and popularity of the MCU in the Chinese market. 

Well, from what I heard, I believe the Disney MCU movies are now pretty much banned from the Chinese market.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 2:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, from what I heard, I believe the Disney MCU movies are now pretty much banned from the Chinese market.  (shrug)

I think some have been banned, some haven’t gone through the approval process. That Spiderman sits at 1.5 billion without China just shows the power of the character and how ready folks were for this film. It will be interesting to see what, if any, marvel films will ever been legally released under the CCP again.

Anything I was mildly interested in, which I thought may be within my budget, went much higher than expected.  Or maybe it is expected at this point. :cry:   A Masters of the Universe cover from 1987 by Ron Wilson goes for $10,200?  Dos Bros had it on eBay probably 2-3 years ago for $3,000 with no takers.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:15 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, how about the OA covers for both Spidey 129 and Wrightson's classic HOS 92 because they both sure looked nice when I saw them a couple of years ago?  :cloud9:

Very curious to hear your impressions about the 129 in person.   The pictures with Fishler left some questions in my mind as to the condition and whether it was vellum whether it was pasted together, etc.   Any comments?  

HOS 92 is a beauty but I don’t see 3m on it.   Maybe I’m wrong but as of right now I’d take the under. 

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2022 at 8:50 AM, Mickey7 said:

Anything I was mildly interested in, which I thought may be within my budget, went much higher than expected.  Or maybe it is expected at this point. :cry:   A Masters of the Universe cover from 1987 by Ron Wilson goes for $10,200?  Dos Bros had it on eBay probably 2-3 years ago for $3,000 with no takers.

Well, today is the final day of the OA auction so perhaps there will be some nice OA to pick up at decent prices?

On 1/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Mickey7 said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of (comic) art auctions. Whatever you think the piece is worth, double it, then add another half on top and you'll be close to what is sells for.

I saw some modern comic art recently that was sitting untouched on a reps website for about a year at least. It was then bought and subsequently appeared on ComicLink's auction after about another year.

It ended up selling for four times the price on the reps website!