• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

I am am avid sandman collector and death is my favourite character; personally I have never seen a page from issue 8 for sale. Maybe it's just me, but I know every bits of the issue and I remember fondly that page and how shocked I was when Franklin was killed. I live in Italy, so I don't have any love for NY.

Having said that, I'd kill for that page. Dream and Death, first issue of the big sister, dringenberg, signed by Neil. The cornerstone of the whole series, when everything changed and sandman became sandman.

Ps: the most famous page from the entire issue is the one where the brothers feed the pigeons. Boring, talking heads and  not even the first first appearance. I just wonder how much it would fetch if auctioned.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, bisquitodoom said:

I think that Lucifer one may be a little high, but the Death page will go for much higher.  

Death's been a much bigger thing for longer, and is far more important of a character to a lot of people. How many cosplays or commissions do you see of Lucifer Morningstar vs. Death?  

And this checks all the boxes of what you'd want - first appearance, great page, and even interacting with Dream.  

I'd say maybe 150 for the Death one

I don't want to slam the price of the Sandman #4 page too much publicly but I can't agree that it's a 'little' high. And the page was initially priced higher.  To expand, I also attribute very little value to the 1st silhouette of Lucifer. In my opinion the Death page is far more desirable than the Lucifer but as Simon has already noted, the asking price does not equal market valuation.

I own a Sandman 8 page and if the market value is really well into 6 figures for a page from that issue then that means the offers for my page are....lowball. (Regardless I'm not looking to sell).

Cheers

Joseph

On 2/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, BCarter27 said:

If all this hype is to be believed, you soon won't be! :tonofbricks:  Me neither. That's not the sound of her wings... It's the sound of us all getting priced out.

I heard that warning sound when the Season splash with just Destiny hammered at what I thought was an astounding $30k+. (To think I made my other half leave a family lunch early for that :facepalm: )

Cheers

J

On 2/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, Timely said:

I see they just listed the cover to What If #1.  Bechara had this one a few years back.  It's going to go for way more now!

Definitely another piece that tickles nostalgia for me, 1st #1 issue I ever owned.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, batman_fan said:

The first Marvel Treasury I every bought was this one.  I read the poor thing a ton.  Loved the battle stories and they definitely picked the best ones.

0CB9F2BA-9BA1-433F-99DD-8D7BD8DCD110.jpeg

My second Treasury Edition. The Christmas one with the Heroes coming at you front and back covers also great stories. This one phenomenal front and back covers.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:41 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Other stuff worth looking at with the record sale in the last auction would be the ASM #252 page with the black costume shown and a group lot that has the cover prelim for that issue along with a costume design for the black suit. 

Seems to have flushed out some nice early Venoms too. 

First Larsen Venom page offered in years:

lf.thumb.jpg.38983e47bbe4011788af0c699dc8ae97.jpg

And perhaps the best Bagley Venom splash ever auctioned:

642642618_lf(1).thumb.jpg.08e8a51a9972871c774fc88ba449d236.jpg

On 2/11/2022 at 2:42 PM, Timely said:

I see they just listed the cover to What If #1.  Bechara had this one a few years back.  It's going to go for way more now!

I remember walking by this cover, in a cheap frame no less, sitting on a chair next to a dealers table at the 1987 Motor City Comic Con. One of the dealers had it for the princely sum of 500 bucks. I remember thinking wow who would pay that much for drawing done only a few years ago. My dad picked me up at the show as it was closing, it hadn't sold by then. One of my first real memories of comic art since i bought some pages at the show for 5 bucks.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, O. said:

And perhaps the best Bagley Venom splash ever auctioned:

Yeah a lot of Venom, Since he's heating up again there should be some strong results. That Bagley page trips me up for some reason. I keep getting the legs confused when looking at it. 

Another one to keep an eye will be the cover to Spider-man and his Amazing Friends #1. It has a lot going for it. Besides being a nice nostalgia piece and issue one cover it's Romita Sr. drawing both Spidey the Green Goblin. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a grail for some people who watched the show and grabbed the comic as a result.

347741889_spideyandfriends.PNG.e716b5c6c3ca3263787be0d87150f469.PNG

Yup, definitely some great Spidey pieces at this auction, but also some very nice Byrne stuff, too

Xmen #137 page

Original Comic Art:Story Page, John Byrne and Terry Austin X-Men

Cap 255 splash

Original Comic Art:Splash Pages, John Byrne Captain America

Plus the FF 251 cover (awaiting scan) John Byrne Fantastic Four #251 Cover Original Art (Marvel, | LotID #123002 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

and the Avengers 166 splash (awaiting scan) John Byrne and Pablo Marcos Avengers #166 Splash Page 1 Thor | LotID #173001 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 2/12/2022 at 8:22 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Another one to keep an eye will be the cover to Spider-man and his Amazing Friends #1. It has a lot going for it. Besides being a nice nostalgia piece and issue one cover it's Romita Sr. drawing both Spidey the Green Goblin.

It's signed by JRJR and Al Milgrom.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens