• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 9:45 AM, Bird said:
On 5/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, fantastic_four said:

Anyone know what that thing was at the beginning of the film chasing America that killed Defender Strange?  I assume it's some Strange villain from the comics that's a deeper cut than Shuma-Gorath.  I'm not all that familiar with Strange and only know Shuma-Gorath from the Capcom games.

the name was changed to gargantos (another monster who comes a bit later in the comics) but it seems to essentially be shuma gorath and was rumored to be so early on. Shuma Gorath is a Robert E Howard property I believe, so just change the name and avoid the issues I guess.

There were two at the beginning, but this is the one at the VERY beginning that killed Defender Strange I was referring to that I'm guessing is a deep cut Strange villain.

doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madn

Edited by fantastic_four

On 5/8/2022 at 7:06 PM, D84 said:

That warms my heart. :cloud9:

Mine too!

Although I did pick up a very high grade copy of Marvel Premiere 10 for $20 and sent to CGC where it still sits. However I bought because it has 9.4-9.6 potential which I thought was great for a book like that.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

There were two at the beginning, but this is the one at the VERY beginning that killed Defender Strange I was referring to that I'm guessing is a deep cut Strange villain.

doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madn

oh yes, I forgot about that. I had no idea at the time. Later they said maybe these things were Scarlet Witch herself and not demons

On 5/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'll play along since you asked the question.

There was quite a bit leaked about this film in advance. To include extensive reshoots and Wanda as the villain. That's had me concerned. Then the videos leaked about the variants and how quickly they get killed off. That bothered me even more. So I was checking the feedback in here to see if my concerns were validated. And I am reading enough that goes along with the leaked details to turn me off this film in advance.

But tell you what. You cared so much to check on this and about this film, here's what we will do. Let's take it to PM, and I will give you my Paypal account information. You send me the $9 for the daytime ticket and I will go to honor your kindness. Because you cared that much. I would hate to let you down.

:cheers:

i think the problem i'm seeing is that everyone is giving MCU/Disney the benefit of the doubt that in the end they will pull it off. that all these missteps are leading to something bigger/better because they delivered the last time.

i would say that they are currently lost. i predicted this when i saw this slate of films/tv shows (shang chi, eternals, moonknight) when they decided to remove stark (because they had built so much around him) and cap decided to retire.

there will be no payoff, this is a stop gap. Everyone here predicted Kang would definitely be involved in this movie after the events in Loki. Nope.

I am only excited to see Jane Foster as Thor but I'm sure this movie won't advance the big story further.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, Bird said:

Later they said maybe these things were Scarlet Witch herself and not demons

I thought that either Strange or America said that Wanda was sending these demons to capture America.  That's not a power I've ever heard of Wanda having, but she has the Darkhold so I guessed she somehow used that to summon them.

There's a question I asked yesterday about where Wanda's Sokovian accent disappeared to in this film.  One possible answer occurred to me last night that I hope isn't true, but it might be--they may have nixxed it as some implicit indication that what we're seeing in this film isn't really Wanda, it's the Darkhold and its grip on her.  But how that would translate to an accent change is baffling, so I really hope that's not it.

saw it last night

i thought it was ok, enjoyed the sam raimi parts of it, however in the bigger scheme I'm not sure what we advanced

will there be a wandavision 2?

i also thought Clea looked horrible

Reed was the worst. Picking John Krasinki to play Reed was a very boring choice. I get it, but boring. 

I saw the movie over the weekend, and I felt like they were catering to 2 audiences: those who watched the MCU movies and show and those who never saw them. The story overall was very disjointed to me. I enjoyed it as much as the Ant-Man films. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:13 AM, Rodey said:

Reed was the worst. Picking John Krasinki to play Reed was a very boring choice. I get it, but boring.

Your first sentence makes Krasinski sound like the wrong choice, but by the third sentence I felt like you were actively selling me on Krasinski as Reed.  Reed being boring is almost his entire schtick, so I can't fully decide if you're saying that you're all in or all out on the choice.  :insane:

I was gonna say, Reed being boring is an extension of his focus on intelligence over presentation. He's not supposed to be charismatic like Tony Stark, who often flagrantly conveyed his intellect as a statement of being fashionable over functional.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, valiantman said:

What if the final credit scene (Bruce Campbell) is actually a message to the audience from Raimi?  Making the movie, he punched himself in the face from all the bad writing and scenes forced upon him by Disney throughout the whole movie until "It's finally over!"

Are you sure they forced a lot on him?  Examples?

After Avi Arad forced Venom and Green Goblin, Jr on Raimi back in 2006 against ALL of Raimi's vehemently expressed wishes and after he gave his ultimatum about not having that happen on a hypothetical Spidey 4 directed by him which failed and caused him to walk away I would think his tolerance for bad decisions being forced upon him is about as close to zero as any director in Hollywood.  If it did happen and he didn't just walk I'll be VERY surprised, so if you've got some solidly-sourced info please do share.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, fantastic_four said:
On 5/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, valiantman said:

What if the final credit scene (Bruce Campbell) is actually a message to the audience from Raimi?  Making the movie, he punched himself in the face from all the bad writing and scenes forced upon him by Disney throughout the whole movie until "It's finally over!"

Are you sure they forced a lot on him?  Examples?

After Avi Arad forced Venom and Green Goblin, Jr on Raimi back in 2006 against ALL of Raimi's vehemently expressed wishes and after he gave his ultimatum about not having that happen on a hypothetical Spidey 4 directed by him which failed and caused him to walk away I would think his tolerance for bad decisions being forced upon him is about as close to zero as any director in Hollywood.  If it did happen and he didn't just walk I'll be VERY surprised, so if you've got some solidly-sourced info please do share.

I thought it was obvious when I started my comment with What If... that it was a What If... :kidaround:

On 5/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, valiantman said:

I thought it was obvious when I started my comment with What If... that it was a What If... :kidaround:

Ah, got it.  lol

Wasn't there another final-final scene making fun of the audience for staying so long after the credits?  I have some memory of a character asking the audience to leave, the movie is over, get out, but I can't remember where that's from.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ah, got it.  lol

Wasn't there another final-final scene making fun of the audience for staying so long after the credits?  I have some memory of a character asking the audience to leave, the movie is over, get out, but I can't remember where that's from.

It has probably happened a few times. The first one that I can remember is Andy Kaufman (Jim Carrey) doing that in Man On The Moon but he was trying to get rid of the audience before the movie.  

Edited by valiantman

On 5/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ah, got it.  lol

isn't there a cap doing some public service video post-credits scene along these lines?

On 5/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ah, got it.  lol

The 2nd credit scene in Civil War is a lecture by Captain America about patience.

This is the post-credits scene I was thinking of, and it's far older than I thought it was--it's one of the earliest post-credits scenes from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

And yea, the one from Spider-Man: Homecoming with Cap linked below is also a similar F you to the audience that's also really good.  I'd rank them Ferris Bueller first, the one from Cap second, and the Bruce Campbell one third.