• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, valiantman said:

It has probably happened a few times. The first one that I can remember is Andy Kaufman (Jim Carrey) doing that in Man On The Moon but he was trying to get rid of the audience before the movie.  

Deadpool.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, fantastic_four said:

This is the post-credits scene I was thinking of, and it's far older than I thought it was--it's one of the earliest post-credits scenes from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

And then there was Masters of the Universe the next year

On 5/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, fantastic_four said:

Your first sentence makes Krasinski sound like the wrong choice, but by the third sentence I felt like you were actively selling me on Krasinski as Reed.  Reed being boring is almost his entire schtick, so I can't fully decide if you're saying that you're all in or all out on the choice.  :insane:

Sorry, that's what happens when I write stuff when I'm not fully awake.  I know the internets wanted Krasinski to play Reed for the past several years. So they catered to the fans and went with the obvious/boring choice. However, I think they could have picked some really cool actors to play him: Dev Patel, John Cho, Rahul Kohli. I think Marvel had a chance to use some really great actors other than Krasinski. 

My last sentence I was just saying that although I truly enjoyed the movie, it had some narrative flaws. That's all. 

On 5/9/2022 at 2:31 PM, Rodey said:

Sorry, that's what happens when I write stuff when I'm not fully awake.  I know the internets wanted Krasinski to play Reed for the past several years. So they catered to the fans and went with the obvious/boring choice. However, I think they could have picked some really cool actors to play him: Dev Patel, John Cho, Rahul Kohli. I think Marvel had a chance to use some really great actors other than Krasinski. 

But it was a harmless pick.  They can STILL pick one of the other actors you suggested in future movies.  It is the multiverse after all.  I think it was a nice nod to the fans to give them something they wanted but not something that they we tied to for the next 10 years.

***If Krasinski does become THE guy then I will agree with you (I was never a fan of him being Mr. Fantastic)

On 5/9/2022 at 3:42 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

But it was a harmless pick.  They can STILL pick one of the other actors you suggested in future movies.  It is the multiverse after all.  I think it was a nice nod to the fans to give them something they wanted but not something that they we tied to for the next 10 years.

***If Krasinski does become THE guy then I will agree with you (I was never a fan of him being Mr. Fantastic)

Totally agree with both your points! 

On 5/8/2022 at 4:20 AM, Jayman said:

MULTIVERSE. There is still a good Wanda out there somewhere! (thumbsu

If they ever bring her back in as a hero again, it's a massive cop-out and renders this whole movie pointless. That being said, I wish there was some what they could retcon Taskmaster and bring HIM back as the character he's supposed to be. If anyone deserves a do-over it's TM. Such a wasted opportunity. 

On 5/5/2022 at 6:34 PM, William-James88 said:

Yup, I saw the car too. I was worried it would be in a crowded ne

On 5/5/2022 at 6:34 PM, William-James88 said:

3. While the magic action is very good and fun, that martial arts fight with Mordo was terrible. Could they not have someone who knows how to direct a martial arts fight help Raimi with that? It reminds me of Taken 2 where they cut so frantically to hide any poorly shot action. And it's in a very tight space, could have made for a cool and fun fight, but instead it looks like .

5. Why was Rinthra there if he did nothing? If you are going to have something or something stand out, then it would be fun to do something with it.

I was distracted by this scene as it was going on. Since when does Dr. Strange know hand to hand combat? I don't remember him being proficient in any combat style in movies or comics; in this movie, he's doing leg sweeps and jumping up walls 

Yeah, they even went so far as to make Rintrah Marvel Legends build a figure. He maybe had one line of dialogue and was barely a factor. 

Edited by Lpgk

On 5/7/2022 at 3:48 PM, Jemin said:

I agree. That was a favorite scene in the theater I was at.  While I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to everyone around us as I like to be in the movie, there were lots of excited reactions in my theater to that scene as well as most of the movie.

I watched the movie in 4DX so the music fight scene and travelling through dimensions was worth the price of admission just for that. 

My showing also had the Top Gun trailer and with 4DX, the seat movement and effects were far more distracting than anything positive. I can't imaging watching 2 hours of that. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, Lpgk said:

I was distracted by this scene as it was going on. Since when does Dr. Strange know hand to hand combat? I don't remember him being proficient in any combat style in movies or comics; in this movie, he's doing leg sweeps and jumping up walls 

Yeah, they even went so far as to make Rintrah Marvel Legends build a figure. He maybe had one line of dialogue and was barely a factor. 

To be honest, remove the CGI and 80% of the battles are hand gesturing.  It would be really funny to watch without.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, Lpgk said:

Since when does Dr. Strange know hand to hand combat? I don't remember him being proficient in any combat style in movies or comics; in this movie, he's doing leg sweeps and jumping up walls 

There wasn't as much of it in this film, but in the 2016 Doctor Strange film they showed Mordo training Strange in combat.  The scene below is when they first train, but there's a big time jump where he skips from raw recruit to a more seasoned sorcerer where we're supposed to assume quite a bit of time has passed, and presumably they continued his combat training during that time skip.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 5/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, Lpgk said:

I watched the movie in 4DX so the music fight scene and travelling through dimensions was worth the price of admission just for that. 

My showing also had the Top Gun trailer and with 4DX, the seat movement and effects were far more distracting than anything positive. I can't imaging watching 2 hours of that. 

I can only imagine. We do not have any 4DX theatres here but my 15 year old son wants to go back and watch it again but in 3D this time. Might have to do that.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:43 PM, Jemin said:

I can only imagine. We do not have any 4DX theatres here but my 15 year old son wants to go back and watch it again but in 3D this time. Might have to do that.

I remember when I saw the first Dr. Strange I was thinking I should've seen it in 3D; I made sure I saw it in 3D this time. 

I may go and see DR2 again in 3D. It is definitely worth it for certain parts of the movie. 

On 5/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, Jemin said:

We do not have any 4DX theatres here but my 15 year old son wants to go back and watch it again but in 3D this time.

Was worth paying the extra $2 to see Dr. Strange Multiverse, :manhero: and the Avatar 2 trailer in improved 3-D. Glad 40% of the film was about Wanda and sons vs. Scarlet Witch/Ch'thon.

It was fun.

The Good

1. America Chavez.

2. Cumberbatch.

3. The Gargantos scene.

The Bad

1. The Illuminati. Who would ever want to see any of those characters again? This was large-scale intellectual property self-harm.

2. Christine & the Christine love story. Clunky. Shoehorned in, like the Illuminati. 

3. No Bova the Cow.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Me. Mr Fantastic and Black Bolt, at least.

Me, too. I'd like to see them all, especially Reed.

I was being rhetorical, of course. I just think the scene was a foolish, even harmful way to treat all those 'new' characters.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:36 AM, TupennyConan said:

Me, too. I'd like to see them all, especially Reed.

I was being rhetorical, of course. I just think the scene was a foolish, even harmful way to treat all those 'new' characters.

Ah. Yeah, some have informed me how they feel the characters were 'disrespected', and I can see that. I was particularly unhappy with the fact that they wrote it so that Wanda is a stronger telepath than Xavier. Otherwise, I was pretty much okay with it, but I think that I agree Black Bolt should not be weak to his own mutation.

I keep in mind that it's the Scarlet Witch with the Darkhold, though. The Illuminati had to kill Supreme Strange who had the Darkhold. That begs some questions...

Is Scarlet Witch with the Darkhold more powerful? Or was it simply that Supreme Strange gave up to his friends for them to kill him? Did the Illuminati overlook how powerful SW dreamwalking into their universe with the Darkhold would be?

Important questions, because the Illuminati seem to be governing the multiverse in the same fashion as the TVA tried to. You would think that they'd be more prepared?

Oh, and Doctor Strange using his watch as the key to the door for the Book of Vishanti was super-dumb.