• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, Rip said:
On 5/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, fantastic_four said:

Is this eye on the forehead thing from the comics with an explanation?  I get that it's some side effect of the Darkhold on Strange, but for whatever reason no such body horror things happened with Wanda.  I just chalked it up to Sam Raimi horror body weirdness at the time on that alt version of Strange, but when they showed it again on the 616 Strange I had to wonder if it's a Raimi or Marvel creation.

The 3rd eye is in the comics.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.41.55 AM.png

Any idea where that's from or how he got that eye?  I like to follow these threads from comics I've missed.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, fantastic_four said:

There are quotes from Emily Blunt explicitly denying that both she and John Krasinski had been cast as Sue or Reed, but now we know she was explicitly lying

maybe her comments were before he was cast as Reed?

I like them both, but just no on John K as Reed.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:46 AM, Bird said:

gee I really hope not. Seriously, was Reed not the worst looking character in the whole movie? I think this was just a nod to the fan gossip about him playing the character. Black Bolt looked better on screen than Reed.

Was your problem with Krasinski or his outfit?  Krasinski was fine, and while I wasn't a fan of the costume they could easily change that while retaining the actor.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:44 AM, drotto said:
On 5/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, Bird said:

she didn't grow an eye, but she was crooked, broken all Baba Yaga movements at various points, and the demon version in the mindscape that killed Xavier. It was more subtle but she was showing physical corruption all along I think

I had the Ring flashbacks when she came though the mirror.

I assumed that was some kind of mirror twisting of her, not that her actual body was doing that.  I don't remember enough about the context of her looking demonic when she killed Xavier to have an opinion.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, fantastic_four said:

Was your problem with Krasinski or his outfit?  Krasinski was fine, and while I wasn't a fan of the costume they could easily change that while retaining the actor.

His face honestly. Physique. Beard. Just about everything looked bad to me. (And they cheated when they showed him stretch into frame, I barely saw it.) I just don't think he has the persona for Reed, and yes he is fine as Jack Ryan.  I never liked the idea, and it looked just as bad as I expected. That Ioan G from the first one looks much better as a Reed Richards to me.

He was fine in this. It was a nothing performance, stand there and talk monotone. But for a full movie, let's get someone else.

Edited by Bird

On 5/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bird said:
On 5/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, fantastic_four said:

There are quotes from Emily Blunt explicitly denying that both she and John Krasinski had been cast as Sue or Reed, but now we know she was explicitly lying

maybe her comments were before he was cast as Reed?

She said it to Howard Stern about a year ago.  I would think Krasinski knew by then he would be in it or that he had even already filmed his scenes.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/emily-blunt-fantastic-four-invisible-woman-marvel-1234971591/

On 5/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, Bird said:

yes, but I am talking about this movie. This is a different arc. They wanted us to go see the Doc movie, they weren't going to spoil their surprise coming in the movie.

Sorry. I have been nuts over Scarlet Witch since the 70's when I used to collect all the Avengers comics from that period. To include the Wundagore storyline.

Avengers_Vol1_185.PNG.8ac9f3ea3834bf6632545e9f5afed6d5.PNG

Avengers_Vol1_186.PNG.b02551a9b079c8a9cfaebde9cfa88fee.PNG

Avengers_Vol1_187.PNG.1ead6a6c47b20af19a856b2e7f5219c6.PNG

I've heard enough now and seen enough of the leaked spoilers to know this movie is not for me. I have contacted Regal and told them to credit today's ticket. That's the best way as a Marvel fan to send the signal Marvel Studios has followed a path I disagree with.

Edited by Bosco685

On 5/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, Bird said:

His face honestly. Physique. Beard.

His face is fine, and his physique is almost an exact match for Reed in being tall and lanky.  They've shown enough of Reed with a beard in the comics for that not to have jumped out at me.

Krasinski has always had a really dry, literal way of enunciating his dialogue, and aside from the physique similarities to Reed that's why I always assumed people wanted Krasinski in the role.  And his intricate, dry and rational dialogue delivery was what I thought excelled in this film.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

Any idea where that's from or how he got that eye?  I like to follow these threads from comics I've missed.

That one was from New Avengers 2013 Issue 21. I've attached the full page. 

But sometimes he had the eye in many of the older books as well.

https://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-multiverse-madness-3rd-eye-power-explained/

newavengers.jpg

Edited by Rip
Found issue

On 5/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

She said it to Howard Stern about a year ago.  I would think Krasinski knew by then he would be in it or that he had even already filmed his scenes.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/emily-blunt-fantastic-four-invisible-woman-marvel-1234971591/

I don't go off cgc for cgc discussions, too much time. You may be right, but was she talking about herself or them both. It could be semantics as well or she could be lying. (thumbsu

On 5/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

Krasinski has always had a really dry, literal way of enunciating his dialogue, and aside from the physique similarities to Reed that's why I always assumed people wanted Krasinski in the role.  And his intricate, dry and rational dialogue delivery was what I thought excelled in this film.

A bit more about this--Krasinski is also great in coming through with really dry humor when he wants or needs to.  We didn't see that in this film, but we know from the Office he can pull it out whenever he wants or is asked to humanize Reed a bit.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

His face is fine, and his physique is almost an exact match for Reed in being tall and lanky.  They've shown enough of Reed with a beard in the comics for that not to have jumped out at me.

I thought he was too chesty bulked up here. Jack Ryan Reed. The whole Illuminati scene was the weakest in the movie for me, it seemed fanboy fun and that is all. I hope it ends there for those characters.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, Bird said:

His face honestly. Physique. Beard. Just about everything looked bad to me. (And they cheated when they showed him stretch into frame, I barely saw it.) I just don't think he has the persona for Reed, and yes he is fine as Jack Ryan.  I never liked the idea, and it looked just as bad as I expected. That Ioan G from the first one looks much better as a Reed Richards to me.

He was fine in this. It was a nothing performance, stand there and talk monotone. But for a full movie, let's get someone else.

Honestly, the hair in this film was awful across the board.  What the hell was on Wong's and Strange's heads also.  Even Wanda's looked off, that color is not right for that character. 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:25 AM, D84 said:

In other words: consequence free writing.

That’s my thought too.  Writing into a corner?  How does it get resolved?  Multiverse!  
Need to replace a bad character or acting choice?  Multiverse!  
Reboot everything?  Multiverse!  

Eeh2nG0VoAAgWEs.jpg

I hated that FF movie, yes. But is this even a choice visually? That guy on the left is Captain America more than Reed Richards.

Edited by Bird
bad John photo!

Illuminati, 3rd eye Dr. Strange all lead toward Secret Wars in the comics.

In the lead up, the Beyonders start wiping out the universes.

With an eventual merging and universe reboot.

Screenshot from New Avengers 33.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.18.11 AM.png

On 5/8/2022 at 11:18 AM, Bird said:

John-Krasinski-Fantastic-Four-Reed-Richards-Fan-Art-1.jpgEeh2nG0VoAAgWEs.jpg

I hated that FF movie, yes. But is this even a choice visually? That guy on the left is Captain America more than Reed Richards.

That pic of Krasinski must be fan fiction given that the costume from the film doesn't match it at all.  It literally looks like Cap's costume--particularly the collar, shoulder pads, and shoulder straps that hold his shield onto his back--with a some of the Cap deco taken off and a 4 added to the chest, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Photoshop with the actual chest of Chris Evans still being there.  His physique looks more like Ioan Gruffudd in the pic below taken from the film than Chris Evans.

Illuminati01.jpeg.e69253184eb7fbdffa8dc1

Edited by fantastic_four

On 5/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, fantastic_four said:

That pic of Krasinski must be fan fiction given that the costume from the film doesn't match it at all.  It literally looks like Cap's costume--particularly the collar, shoulder pads, and shoulder straps that hold his shield onto his back--with a some of the Cap deco taken off and a 4 added to the chest, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Photoshop with the actual chest of Chris Evans still being there.  His physique looks more like Ioan Gruffudd in the pic below taken from the film than Chris Evans.

Illuminati01.jpeg.e69253184eb7fbdffa8dc1

You may be right, sorry, not trying to mislead. I tried to grab similar poses. Point being when you think of Reed in your head you think Ioan, not bearded John.

It DID look like Cap!

Edited by Bird

Krasinski face looks a lot like Reed Richards in the comics. Especially with the beard. The beard is a must!

Its one of the main reasons why everyone wants him in FF.

Edited by Rip