• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2022 at 9:50 PM, cstojano said:

Also Heritage archives really are a gold mine. Hard to overstate the importance of historical pricing data and transparency (despite claims of shilling, etc.) to market health. I play in some areas that have very little of this. Just a small handful of guys privately and quietly buying up the best stuff. I worry if this has a dulling effect on values for this reason. 

Absolutely.   There are two schools of thought on data points - the HA transparency model and the CLINK obfuscation model, let's say, as one archives prices and pictures and the other takes them down immediately.     Valid situations for both but as an overall policy IMO the transparency model wins in the long run in a big way.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bronty said:

Absolutely.   There are two schools of thought on data points - the HA transparency model and the CLINK obfuscation model, let's say, as one archives prices and pictures and the other takes them down immediately.     Valid situations for both but as an overall policy IMO the transparency model wins in the long run in a big way.

Doug put it this way to me, if you buy something on HA and try to sell it later you are always competing against the historical price, whereas CLink is always a clean slate for bidders and sellers.

Not defending or siding here, just relaying how he thinks.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/25/2022 at 2:17 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Doug put it this way to me, if you buy something on HA and try to sell it later you are always competing against the historical price, whereas CLink is always a clean slate for bidders and sellers.

Said no one, ever. 

Edited by artdealer

On 10/25/2022 at 2:17 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Not defending or siding here, just relaying how he thinks.

Yeah.    I understand the argument, I just don't agree with it. 

On 10/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, Bronty said:

Yeah.    I understand the argument, I just don't agree with it. 

What is odd to me is auction data is monetizable, yet HA gives it away for free and Doug will not sell his (for reasons not completely clear to me). I struggle to understand Clink's philosophy... it is rather incoherent from a business perspective.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, KirbyCollector said:

What is odd to me is auction data is monetizable, yet HA gives it away for free and Doug will not sell his (for reasons not completely clear to me). I struggle to understand Clink's philosophy... it is rather incoherent from a business perspective.

I see it as short term thinking.    Others may disagree.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:23 PM, Bronty said:

I see it as short term thinking.    Others may disagree.

I've been trying to figure out a good reason for it and the only one that really makes sense is the ability to highlight and document the very best sales and results, which disclosing none of the good-to-mediocre outcomes. This seems like it would have been more of a material issue before the parabolic arc of results over the last few years, but I really can't come up with a better or more logical reason for not allowing full results tracking. 

Aside from that none of the other reasons really strike me as a good reason.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:47 PM, comix4fun said:

I've been trying to figure out a good reason for it and the only one that really makes sense is the ability to highlight and document the very best sales and results, which disclosing none of the good-to-mediocre outcomes. This seems like it would have been more of a material issue before the parabolic arc of results over the last few years, but I really can't come up with a better or more logical reason for not allowing full results tracking. 

Aside from that none of the other reasons really strike me as a good reason.

Would also allow apples to apples comparisons between CL and HA for key books, etc.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:25 PM, cstojano said:

Would also allow apples to apples comparisons between CL and HA for key books, etc.

Right, which is why I think it’s short term thinking.   Say auction results prove that the place to get deals is CLINK.   Where are buyers going to go?    The marketplace evens these things out if you just open things up and give it a chance to correct any imbalances. 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, tth2 said:

Thanks!  Never even knew that was there! (thumbsu

My pleasure.   You will see some interesting offers and trends there from time to time . 

Edited by Bronty

On 10/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, Mickey7 said:

A toy auction at Heritage ended today, though there was a piece of OA I noticed went pretty high.  Earl Norem Masters of the Universe piece, though no mention where/if it was published.  $35,000. 

lf.jpeg.jpg

A friend and I were discussing this piece before the auction and we both thought it was cool but tbh a bit crowded a scene.    Very surprised at the price; someone must have loved that there were so many characters present.

Looking at it now, I'm not sure why battlecat's reflection doesn't match his body?   His reflection is palette swapped and sans headgear/saddle.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:18 AM, Bronty said:

A friend and I were discussing this piece before the auction and we both thought it was cool but tbh a bit crowded a scene.    Very surprised at the price; someone must have loved that there were so many characters present.

Looking at it now, I'm not sure why battlecat's reflection doesn't match his body?   His reflection is palette swapped and sans headgear/saddle.

There's all kinds of weirdness in those reflections, which suggests it may be intentional?? Kind of looks like an alt-universe thing going on.

Edited by cstojano

On 10/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, J.Sid said:

Or maybe a "spot the differences" spread in a magazine or activity workbook?

That's what I thought Heritage said the piece was titled "What's Wrong With This Picture?"