• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

I experienced my first Live Auction bidding last night. It was very interesting and exciting. I have bid before but never during the live stage. 

I won an item and I paid more than I wanted to, and it was no doubt the rush of the moment. 

Hope to see it soon.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’m agreeing with what you said to tth2. My response to the tin foil hats comment was an attempt at humor. 

OK - thanks for explaining.   My hamster didn't turn the wheel.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:02 AM, Bronty said:

My hamster didn't turn the wheel.

Lol. I once worked at NOAA in the General Counsels office as a paralegal. I responded to FOIA requests from people for “all photos of me taken from space”. I came up with my tin foil hat response then. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:06 AM, ThothAmon said:

I responded to FOIA requests from people for “all photos of me taken from space”. I came up with my tin foil hat response then. 

How did you respond to such a typically legal request?

On 11/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, Bronty said:

At that point we might as well all wear tinfoil hats and not believe any results on ebay, heritage, comicconnect, clink, or any other venue unless we personally audit everyone's bank accounts, emails, voicemails, other communications, and caloric content of what they had for breakfast.    Remember that heritage takes a cut of these sales.   Its rarely going to be worth it to pay that cut to create a data point that probably can't be repeated.   On this particular offer HA's cut would be 20k.    Are you really going to pay 20k on a 100k book on the idea that someone MIGHT pay 150 later because of the 200k data point.   Its awfully shaky ground and just not a smart thing to do even if you are morally okay with doing it in the first place.

I hear this argument, but let's not assume that this is the only copy the seller owns. 

The "move" is to first compile inventory of something at lower levels and THEN sell on to yourself through HA at 200k. You only pay HA's cut once, you still retain the 200k comic (you bought it from yourself) and you have say a dozen copies in waiting which you are now ready to sell at their bumped-up trickle down value.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:52 PM, J.Sid said:

I hear this argument, but let's not assume that this is the only copy the seller owns. 

The "move" is to first compile inventory of something at lower levels and THEN sell on to yourself through HA at 200k. You only pay HA's cut once, you still retain the 200k comic (you bought it from yourself) and you have say a dozen copies in waiting which you are now ready to sell at their bumped-up trickle down value.

And tell me something.    How is that assumption any different in any of the other venues?    That's why I made the comment I did.    If you choose not to trust a sale like this, you literally might as well not trust any sale, ever.    Because there is no substantial difference between data points like this, assuming its an accepted offer, and a straight sale on heritage, ebay, clink, comicconnect, hake's, etc etc etc etc.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bronty said:

And tell me something.    How is that assumption any different in any of the other venues?    That's why I made the comment I did.    If you choose not to trust a sale like this, you literally might as well not trust any sale, ever.    Because there is no substantial difference between data points like this, assuming its an accepted offer, and a straight sale on heritage, ebay, clink, comicconnect, hake's, etc etc etc etc.

I do not understand the argument that things purchased at auction are presumed to be worth only the hammer and not the full price paid by the purchaser.  Yes, the seller didn't get ALL that money, but the buyer paid it all.  And, presumably the seller didn't feel they could get more than they received if they'd sold it on their own, or it was worth paying commission not to have to sell it on their own. Heritage's results are sometimes high but sometimes they're no higher than what you'd get selling it yourself, or they're somewhere between that and you might feel better letting the buyer keep more of their money since you would not get any more selling it at auction for the higher amount.  At 10% I never worry about the margin.  Usually not at 15% or even 20%.  But at 40% it feels absurd for anything but the very low end of consignments. 

On 11/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I do not understand the argument that things purchased at auction are presumed to be worth only the hammer and not the full price paid by the purchaser.  Yes, the seller didn't get ALL that money, but the buyer paid it all.  

TBH I think most people understand and agree, at least on the boards.

To the extent people propose the hammer price, I think its just a buyer strategy to suggest that as the buyer, I'll pay you what would have been net to your pocket after auction fees.    A bargaining tool and nothing more, no real substance behind it other than the buyer trying to scoop a discount for themselves that's equal to what the fees would have been.    It isn't a correct comparison because when heritage sells something for me, they do the work.   If I'm having a conversation with you, I'm doing the work, taking the risk, dealing with shipping hassles, etc.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/4/2022 at 10:16 PM, Bronty said:

At that point we might as well all wear tinfoil hats and not believe any results on ebay, heritage, comicconnect, clink, or any other venue unless we personally audit everyone's bank accounts, emails, voicemails, other communications, and caloric content of what they had for breakfast. 

When a book that is already high profile and sold at a record price is then flipped at almost double the price less than 5 months later, we SHOULD be skeptical no matter the venue.  

It's the circumstances and context that should trigger our spidey sense, not the venue. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, tth2 said:

When a book that is already high profile and sold at a record price is then flipped at almost double the price less than 5 months later, we SHOULD be skeptical no matter the venue.  

It's the circumstances and context that should trigger our spidey sense, not the venue. 

I appreciate it’s your skepticism as it’s a nice antidote to irrational exuberance, but

A) you were more sarcastic than skeptical in this case; and 

B) you are new to make an offer.    I have seen more than a few offers on there that seemed silly on the surface that turned out to be legit when I found out who was involved.   So I don’t think it’s wise to assume it isn’t legit just because it’s a fat offer.    Fat offers do happen.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

terrific.  that dracula panel kills me lol 

Just checked the stuff I am watching and things really popped the last day or so but I would say items are still on the low side but moving beyond my wallets comfort zone.  Peanuts are still low but those historically pop during the live auction. 

On 11/17/2022 at 6:10 AM, batman_fan said:

Just checked the stuff I am watching and things really popped the last day or so but I would say items are still on the low side but moving beyond my wallets comfort zone.  Peanuts are still low but those historically pop during the live auction. 

That Ditko Spidey page seemed awfully low.